BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this might be a long shot but does anyone have dimensions for the special socket needed to torque the swing arm lock nut i would like to try to make one i believe you have to cut out a space for the allen wrench ....Thanks

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I would just take a deep socket or an impact socket that fits, and cut out the side, probably somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of the diameter, giant crows foot. No need to cut to the opening down to the edge of the socket, just a window to fit the allen in. Cut down the allen so it is short as possible. The impact socket is a stronger bet. May have to trim the OD to fit. Trial and error.
Single impact sockets for infrequent use are cheap at Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If you search this on the LT forum you will find several threads that address this issue

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I took these without a flash so they are a little blurry but you can get the general idea. Bottom scale on steel rule is 10ths.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
ebiss9 said:
I took these without a flash so they are a little blurry but you can get the general idea. Bottom scale on steel rule is 10ths.
Very neat job. Did you use an angle grinder? I figure that impact socket steel is pretty hard stuff.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Wished I could tell what was used to grind this but my machinist son-in-law did it for me. I waited almost a year to get it back, (he's quite a procrastinator). But I do remember him saying it was rather difficult due to the hardness of the material..........Rob

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Hey Guys, I ran across this drawing today which may help in your quest to build the socket. I don't know where it came from but may have been posted previously by another member. Hope it’s legible enough to view. All measurements are in inches………….Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll probably get flak for this but when I had the swing arm off and re-installed it I torqued the inner hex bolt to the specified value then marked its position. I then torqued the lock nut and compared the position of the hex nut to the marks and it hadn't moved so I left it. Things seem to be fine so far although I've only put 800 miles on it since then.

Let the chastising begin. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Right on.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
ebiss9 said:
Wished I could tell what was used to grind this but my machinist son-in-law did it for me. I waited almost a year to get it back, (he's quite a procrastinator). But I do remember him saying it was rather difficult due to the hardness of the material..........Rob
I just want to state that torque can vary depending on how much gunk(old loctite, etc) is on the bolts/nuts. I have a feeling that the subject is due for chastising.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts