BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

as I have run out of farkle ideas and the winter has hit us pretty hard this year I thought that let's do some maintenance projects for change.And 100.000 km and six riding seasons is also a good milestone. Plus during my last rides before the snow I though I felt my clutch slipping (which I'm not 100% sure but it left me a bit uncomfortable).

So my job list for this winter is:
- open the clutch and change the friction plates
- change the slave cylinder
- change my FD to the spare one I purchased last year from Tony (LTParts.com). This one has a whole 6 miles on it...The present FD will later be opened and checked per instructions by Charle VT.
- change the throttle cables

Now the bike is pretty much spread all over my garage but I have encounterd some issues that I would need some assistance:

1) Throttle cables: I purchased the cables already last summer from the dealer and now when I started installing them I realized that the ones I got are different than my present ones. The part number 32737694490 at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0549&mospid=47965&btnr=32_1268&hg=32&fg=20 seems to be the same through all the model years although I know that there have been at least two or threee different throttle cable evolutions.I attach picture of my existing throttle cable (handlebar) end and a pic of the new cable. Is it possible that I have received earlier model cables? And is the above mentioned part number valid for the new facelift throttle cables.

2) Clutch push rod:
I have taken out the slave cylinder (looks OK, but I will change it anyhow) but the question is how are you supposed to pull out the clutch push rod? It will not come out with fingers, I have also tried with pliers but no luck.The gearbox is still in place.

Thanks in advance and all the best for the New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
On the slave, make sure you use new washers (4) to attach the clutch lines.
Check your seals for leaking, replacing them is a good idea while there.
Check your race bearings when you change your final drive out.
Pull hard and your clutch rod will come out. Check that it has not broken off at the one end.
as far as your cables, someone will have to lead you in the right direction. Sorry.
good luck

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Ari,

You have the right new cables. What you need is the "repair kit" that replaces the mounting point at the grips.

327 276 919 90 - Repair Kit

You remove the existing part and snip it off and install the kit in it's place.

Here is a good link to some photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/LTThrottleCableReplacement

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Ari - this will probably confuse more than help, but the part numbers below were listed in the Throttle cable service bulletin of Feb, 2003, as replacement for the OEM cables that were installed on bikes prior to VIN # ZD79401. It does look like the part number you listed is a newer #, based on the last 5 digits.

Cable for throttle opening: 32 73 7 676 454
Cable for throttle closing: 32 73 7 675 482

There is a GOOD chance that these part numbers have since been replaced by more recent changes, but I don't find any recent TSB that indicates that. Hopefully, if so, someone is keeping better records than me, and will chime in. Good luck on your wrenching project, Ari. Lotsa folks stand ready to help if you need it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Ari,

You should be able to pull the rod out with a pair of pliers. Give it a good tug. If not can you determine if it will rotate? If it does not rotate easily it maybe friction welded to the release plate.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the advise!

First of all I learned that although my bike is the "05" model (actually produced in Nov 2003) it still is "old skuul" as far as the throttle cables is concerned. I have heard about (and actually ridden too) an older model K 12 LT with a very stiff throttle but mine has always worked like a charm so I have thought my bike already has the latest model cables...
The original reason for changing the cables is just preventive maintenance as one of my buddies broke his 06 throttle cable at 125.000 km. It broke from the motor end.
So... in order to be able to use these new cables I need to purcase the upgrade kit.

About the push rod...it seems to be wiggling a bit but I have not checked whether it rotates freely. I just tried to pull it at first with my fingers and then with a set of pliers but then I was afraid to scratch or otherwise damage the end of the rod. But now that I know there is nothing holding it, I will just add force and let's see what happens...

Thanks again and I will be back with more questions as soon as my project proceeds.It will be another few weeks before I actually attack the gearbox and clutch since it means that my car will be thrown out from the garage and I don't want to do that at the curremt winter temperatures...:eek:

Regards

·
Registered
989 Posts
pozo_izquierdo said:
Howdy all,
as I have run out of farkle ideas ...
Huh? WTF?
Ari is out of FARKLING IDEAS? What has this world come to? :confused:

By the way, I'll add to the chorus: I was able to pull out the clutch rod on my GS just with my fingers.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,251 Posts
Yeah my 05 (April 2004 build date) did not have the "05 cables". I installed them when I found a frayed cable during my clutch job. They are a little better than the old stock ones and that is why I had not done the mod earlier. But they do look like they will last longer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rdwalker said:
Huh? WTF?

I know Bob, this is pretty embarassing to admit..:eek: but this is the case really :(

The only gadget I was going to do this winter is to make a kind of a flasher system that wig-wags my extra fog and driving lights in the rare occasions that i'm lane splitting and the cage driver in the front seems not to notice me.
And the other one is to have two pockets made in the back of my Bak-Up backrest for the SO to keep her cell & iPod etc.

And that's pretty much it...I'm open to farkle ideas...

And to save the trouble of proposing something that I already have I enclose my current list :p :

Standard 2005 LT factory options (alarm, remote locks, ground lights, adjustable passenger floorboards, luggage rack, CD-changer, BMW bag liners etc.)
CeeBailey #2 -3 EuroCut w/ wings
BakUp backrest (motor adjustable)
J-Peg XL highway pegs
Suburban Machinery foot peg relocators
Thomas permant mounted air compressor with two outlets and pressure gauge
BMW Navigator III
Warning light for trunk lid not closed
SmarTire pressure monitoring system
Dauntless Hitch with a luggage rack
Luggage rack mounted 12 V refrigerator
Hella Micro FF halogen fog lights
Hella Micro FF halogen aux. driving lights
Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights
HID bulb replacement in both OEM high and low beam
Rear fog light
Strobo effect brake light (from Raffy)
K 1200 RS mirrors
Muth Signal mirrors
Phoenix-switch (with Ari’s special “sixpack” mod)
Side marker lights (saddlebag + front fender LEDs
Saddlebag interior leds
Baehr Ultima XL for LT intercom with bluetooth module for cell phone
Baehr Basic intercom with bluetooth (for mommy’s own phone calls)
Baehr Capo II bike-to-bike radio
Lighted BMW-roundel á la BMW Z4
Modified dash with ammeter, voltmeter, engine oil temp, final drive oil temp and manifold vacuum gauges.
Russell Day-Long all leather seats, (driver’s seat with motor adjustable height)
Mercedes” style LED mirror turn signals
Double exhaust pipes (the second for tools)
CD-changer replaced with 40 GB Ipod
Wings of Gold
Gerbings heated pants, jacket, socks & gloves (his & her)
Permanent mounted Dual Heat-Trollers for rider and pillion
Chicane tank bag with integrated cell phone charger
RKA luggage rack bag
Chicane duffel bag
Remus exhaust system with Street & Race cans (for sale)
OEM BMW full cover
Fake CD-antenna (on the right side)
Three video cameras with recorder in Chicane tank bag and remote control on the left handlebar
12 V to 220 V inverter
12 V power socket in the trunk
Permanent jump starter cables
LED lights for the dash, handlebars and oddments box
LED ground lighting
LED lights under the saddle
Ari’s special cup holders
Ari’s special “Highway Handle”
2 flag poles
Ram mounts on the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs
Reversing detectors
Reversing alarm buzzer
Cell phone based alarm system with traps for tank bag and GPS
Camera battery charger
Radar detector (not for domestic use)
Relocated rear spring preload adjuster
Ari’s special rear seat luggage tie down system
Relocated trunk with extra storage for rain gear
Ari’s special saddlebag lid storage for tools and small parts
WUDO special LT tie down system
BMR side case trim protectors
Fiamm auxiliary horns
First Aid kit
Öhlins shocks
All new aux electricals with 24 micro relays and three separate fuse blocks
And of course the famous Gremlin Bell

No armrests for Mommy (she does not want them)
No SAT radio (we don't have them over here)

Regards

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ari....I am afraid it is time for a "farkle intervention"....either that or a new bike and start all over again. :D

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Oh, well. Thot I was done with mine. Now that I have THE LIST, all I have to do is set the priorities. Lessee - trunk lid warning . . . . . . . :)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: MORE Major winter overhaul related questions...

OK, back to business and let's leave the farkles for a while, thanks to all for the good suggestions and comments. (Answer for Channing about the weight..The only time the bike has been on scale was at Toronto airport cargo terminal and the scale showed 442 kilos. But then I had all my riding gear etc packed in the cases, but gas tank had only one gallon of gas...)

1) The clutch push rod: The darn thing was pretty tight to pull out. I really had to squeeze hard with pliers and of course I left marks at the end of the rod ( I guess that part can be smoothened with a file...) . The clutch end of the rod looked as if it has been warm at some stage. See the pics.

2) Throttle cables. The hint that John gave about Dave's pics was really valuable!:D Even though I still don't have the upgrade part to the handlebar I already installed the new cables by following the excellent documentation by Dave.

3) Throttle bodies. While looking at Dave's Picasa albums I found there another interesting topic: LT Clutch Repair http://picasaweb.google.com/dtnicks/LTClutchRepair#
I'm not yet at the stage of pulling my gearbox out as I told before but instead I'm fiddling around the throttle bodies and I have the same symptoms as Dave had with oily dirt around # 3 cylinder intake area ( with #3 I'm referring to the second cylinder from the rear of the bike, I don't know if it is correct nr...)
If you look at the pics you can see a lot of oily junk particularly around that #3 throttle body and also the intake box is particularly oily at the same spot.

Now I wonder...As you can see in the last pic there is a small crack in the Y-joint of the crankcase ventilating tube - pretty much in the same area as Dave had. However, I'm not 100% sure this crack is really through the tube. But if there is some pressure in the ventilating tube, perhaps the oil can seep through it...

Anyway, I will replace the tube or perhaps I will upgrade it with copper or stainless steel parts or whaddya guys think..?

One more question to the "been there done that" pros: The crankacase ventilation tube was quite easy to peel off from the engine block with a help of a flat screwdriver but how have you put it back???

Regards

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
rdwalker said:
Huh? WTF?

By the way, I'll add to the chorus: I was able to pull out the clutch rod on my GS just with my fingers.
Exactly what I was thinking. This is not possible. It's like reaching the end of the Internet. It's a moving target.

But seriously, Ari:
1. I have no help for you on your repair, but
2. A dream farkle I would like to have is remotely-adjustable driving lights. Sometimes I want my Hella FF200s to point way down the road. Sometimes I want them to point off to the sides of the road. It would be nice to have a setup like electric remotely-operated mirrors. Something like this:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Ari... she's gonna sing some sweet tunes for you when she's back together.. been hurting a while it looks like...

I wonder if this was due to the replacement of the tranny a while back.. pulled and cracked stuff?

as for the clutch pushrod.. I'd say it looks cooked..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts