BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding to see my dad in the Hospital (son of Wood614 here...big man is doing better, but he is not out of the woods yet), and my K100LT had the battery rock forward and the negative connector and terminal hit the bike's frame, and possibly, I am pretty sure of, the starter/alternator (right side of the bike above the engine). Heard the arc before the bike lost all power. This happened as I was braking and hit a large dip at a stop sign. The battery is okay and has a full charge. But I cannot get anything to turn on. When I turn the key off, the clock fades on and flashes 0:00. All fusses are intact.

What just happened, and is there a way i can fix it without trailering my poor BMW back home? I am going to brush the leds clean and replace the screw the negative wire was attached with on to the terminal tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I'm not familiar with the K100s but I've been turning wrenches since I was twelve and that was a bunch of years ago. Most likely your issue is not with the negative side of the battery. Unless the bike is a positive ground system like the old British cars, hitting the frame with the negative side would have no effect on the system. I suspect you grounded the positive side or possibly hit the positive terminal of the alternator with the negative side. There should be a main fuse, possibly separate from the fuse block so start tracing wires from the positive side of the battery. The other thing to look for is a fusible link which looks much like a regular wire but will have an amperage rating printed on it. Many times they will take on an oily appearance when they blow. So make sure the ground is tight at the battery and frame, clean the battery terminals (even if they look good on the outside) and start tracing voltage from the hot side of the battery. You should find it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Wood614 said:
The battery is okay and has a full charge.
Are you sure the battery is still Ok, did you have it load tested?

Wood614 said:
But I cannot get anything to turn on. When I turn the key off, the clock fades on and flashes 0:00. All fusses are intact.
Anytime I see something strange like this happening, the first place I go is ground wire. In this case you need to check the plus side also, high current surges make for bad connections.

Wood614 said:
What just happened, and is there a way i can fix it without trailering my poor BMW back home? I am going to brush the leds clean and replace the screw the negative wire was attached with on to the terminal tomorrow.
I think you are on the right track here. Take a careful look at the wires also to see if there is any discoloration, that will tell you where the current spike caused damage. For instance if the plus ( RED ) wire turns brown at any connection...that is a problem.

HYH, good luck. :wave

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
If your 88 is like my 85 K100RT these are negative ground systems so if you got a huge arc and then everything went dead your positive terminal shorted to the frame.

Do you get any head lights, dash lights when the key is turned on? If no, like other have said start tracing wires.

good luck

Roy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts