BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maintenance Schedules: My RT vs My Chevy

I am not complaining as I really like my new RT. I do all the regular service and find it sort of therapeutic -- it's cheaper than visiting a shrink. :)

Whenever I get a vehicle I list the Maintenance Schedule on a spreadsheet to remind me of what and when I need to do something. After reading a few interesting threads on maintenance schedules for the RT on this and another forum, I decided to compare my 2012 RT to my 2007 Corvette Z06.

1. FINAL DRIVE / DIFFERENTIAL:
BMW: final drive fluid changed at 6,000 miles then every 12,000 thereafter
Corvette: changing differential fluid not needed

2. VALVES:
BMW: adjust valves every 6,000 miles
Corvette: no valve adjustments, hydraulic actuation

3. SPARK PLUGS:
BMW: spark plugs changed every 12,000 miles
Corvette: spark plugs changed at 100,000 miles

4. THROTTLE:
BMW: sync throttles every 6,000 miles
Corvette: no synchronization needed, drive by wire

5. TRANSMISSION:
BMW: change transmission fluid at 6,000 miles then every 24,000 miles thereafter
Corvette: lifetime transmission fluid for manual transmission, automatic transmission fluid changed at 100,000 miles

6. BELTS:
BMW: replace alternator belt every 30,000 miles
Corvette: engine accessory drive belt inspected at 150,000 miles and replaced if showing wear

7. COOLANT:
BMW: no engine coolant
Corvette: change engine coolant at 150,000 miles

8. BRAKE FLUID:
BMW: brake fluid changed every 2 years
Corvette: no scheduled change

9. AIR CLEANER:
BMW: air cleaner changed every 12,000 miles
Corvette: changed every 50,000 miles but inspected earlier

10. WARRANTY
BMW: 3 year or 36,000 miles
Corvette: 3 year or 36,000 miles plus 5 years or 100,000 mile powertrain warranty


I'm not including all the numerous miscellaneous inspections for leaks, brake pads, loose nuts and bolts, etc, for both vehicles. Also, I'm using the normal duty cycle for the Vette, not severe duty.

Anyway, I find it an interesting comparison.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Interesting comparison. Anybody out there have similar data for BMW bikes vs. BMW autos? I wonder how long the auto owners would put up with it if the intervals were the same as the ones we 2 wheeled owners have to put up with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,047 Posts
I would think that in the same context there should be a comparison of the hp/displacement ratio between the vehicles being compared. For example, the maintenance on my 2002 Honda Accord is quite a bit less rigorous than the maintenance on the R1200RT, but the HP/cc ratio for the BMW is 108/1200 = 0.090, while the Honda is 150/2300 = 0.065. For greater engine efficiency you sometimes have to pay in maintenance.

JayJay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
GUNTER1100 said:
Interesting comparison. Anybody out there have similar data for BMW bikes vs. BMW autos? I wonder how long the auto owners would put up with it if the intervals were the same as the ones we 2 wheeled owners have to put up with?

Not sure of the maintenance intervals anymore on my 97 318ti.
They now have lifetime fluid for the transmission and differential.
It was not like that when I purchased the car new. I do my own
maintenance unless I need special tooling that is not cost effective.
All said and done I have 316,500 miles and still runs like the day I
bought it. Oil changes are the key to longevity. I used Mobil One since
the first oil change. The only major work was a swap out of the 5 speed
for a 6 speed transmission. Looking forward for 400,000 miles. Time will tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
+1. The maintenance on the bikes is very high. I switched to Mobile 1 fully synthetic with extended life to run for 15K miles. But with the my daily 200 miles ride and a occasional weekend trip I think I am putting too many miles on the bike. I need to service it every 2 months. If I was driving my car, I would have probably complained about the depreciation of my car along with a pain in my knee due to driving.

In summary, I think bikes need to get better at easier maintenance. Even if its more expensive to maintain when its in service. I wish I could put more miles on it before it needed to be serviced again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
JayJay said:
I would think that in the same context there should be a comparison of the hp/displacement ratio between the vehicles being compared. For example, the maintenance on my 2002 Honda Accord is quite a bit less rigorous than the maintenance on the R1200RT, but the HP/cc ratio for the BMW is 108/1200 = 0.090, while the Honda is 150/2300 = 0.065. For greater engine efficiency you sometimes have to pay in maintenance.
JayJay
The Corvette ZR1 has essentially the same maintenance schedule as my Z06 and look at the spces:

BMW 108 hp / 1200 cc = .090 (Top speed = 135 mph)

Corvette ZR1 638 hp / 6200 cc = .103 (Top speed = 205 mph)

Corvette Z06 505 hp / 7000 cc = .072 (Top speed = 198 mph)

Not sure this really has anything to do with spark plugs, transmission fluid, brake fluid, air cleaner, belts, final drive / differential, throttle sync, etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Strange, but I was thinking the same thing this morning. I had a '91 Mazda MPV, that you never changed the AT fluid, and things like plugs, coolant, belts, etc were done at 60k mile levels. That's over 20 years ago. BTW, I was a service writer for Mazda back then and I do know what a rip off a scheduled maintenance service is. We charged book time, which was three to four hours, but the tech did the work in less than one hour. Talk about a money maker. Scheduled services are what keep dealer service departments open, whether auto, marine, or motorcycle. Buyer beware...tp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
And the schedule for my 2007 base Corvette with F55 and 6 speed auto is the same as your Z06. 400 HP / 6000 cc and 186 top speed.


Norms_427 said:
The Corvette ZR1 has essentially the same maintenance schedule as my Z06 and look at the spces:

BMW 108 hp / 1200 cc = .090 (Top speed = 135 mph)

Corvette ZR1 638 hp / 6200 cc = .103 (Top speed = 205 mph)

Corvette Z06 505 hp / 7000 cc = .072 (Top speed = 198 mph)

Not sure this really has anything to do with spark plugs, transmission fluid, brake fluid, air cleaner, belts, final drive / differential, throttle sync, etc.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedules: My RT vs My Chevy

Norms_427 said:
I am not complaining as I really like my new RT. I do all the regular service and find it sort of therapeutic -- it's cheaper than visiting a shrink. :)

Whenever I get a vehicle I list the Maintenance Schedule on a spreadsheet to remind me of what and when I need to do something. After reading a few interesting threads on maintenance schedules for the RT on this and another forum, I decided to compare my 2012 RT to my 2007 Corvette Z06. ..........



I'm not including all the numerous miscellaneous inspections for leaks, brake pads, loose nuts and bolts, etc, for both vehicles. Also, I'm using the normal duty cycle for the Vette, not severe duty.

Anyway, I find it an interesting comparison.
You forgot gas mileage.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Re: Maintenance Schedules: My RT vs My Chevy

Skidmarc said:
You forgot gas mileage.....
I get about 48 highway with my RT while Monte2007's base Vette and my Z06 both get about 26 to 28 mpg highway. I get 23 mpg around town mixed in with a bit of freeway. For 505 hp this car avoids the gas guzzler tax due primarily to the tall 6th gear. It turns only 1320 rpm @ 60 mph, basically a fast idle.

Back to maintenance.

If someone takes their RT and Vette to dealers for all service, then after 100,000 miles the RT owner will have spent more for scheduled service than the Corvette owner. I find that interesting to think about. That extra $$ spent on servicing the bike might go a ways to paying for the extra fuel. ?

But for someone (like me) who does their own maintenance, then the RT actually wins this comparison because there would be more "therapy time" spent with the RT. ;) ... less time visiting a shrink layin' on a couch and spillin' our guts ... :histerica
 

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
Re: Maintenance Schedules: My RT vs My Chevy

Norms_427 said:
I am not complaining as I really like my new RT. I do all the regular service and find it sort of therapeutic -- it's cheaper than visiting a shrink. :)

8. BRAKE FLUID:
BMW: brake fluid changed every 2 years
Corvette: no scheduled change
I would like to know what the factory brake fluid is. I have NEVER heard of not having to change brake fluid in any vehicle. Maybe with the newer Dot 6 fluid, changes are not necessary?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Maintenance Schedules: My RT vs My Chevy

mtrevelino said:
I would like to know what the factory brake fluid is. I have NEVER heard of not having to change brake fluid in any vehicle. Maybe with the newer Dot 6 fluid, changes are not necessary?
I agree with you. When I was creating this thread this issue caused me some concern as I had not been aware of the lack of scheduled replacement of the brake fluid. So I read everything in my manual twice that had anything to do with brakes and could not come up with anything that said when and if to replace it. BTW, it comes from the factory with Delco Supreme 11 Brake Fluid and is a DOT-3.

Maybe another Corvette owner (or newer Chevy owner) could chime in here. I might be missing something ... it has happened before in my life. Once. :)

As an aside, I have flushed my brake system 3x in 36,000 miles but that's because I sometimes track my car and I need a fluid with a higher boiling point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
I have a Suburban and while it is lower maintenance, the quality isn't there. Corvette is not a good comparison for the RT. If you want to compare a Corvette with a beemer, then use the S1000RR, or if you insist on the RT, then may be another model, like an Impala SS or something like that. Also, the RT is rated at 110 HP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ponch said:
I have a Suburban and while it is lower maintenance, the quality isn't there. Corvette is not a good comparison for the RT. If you want to compare a Corvette with a beemer, then use the S1000RR, or if you insist on the RT, then may be another model, like an Impala SS or something like that. Also, the RT is rated at 110 HP.
Good points, but I am just sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy chair comparing spreadsheets of what I have in my garage. I was just looking at maintenance schedules, nothing more, but like a lot of threads they start expanding to other stuff.

I think that General Motors pretty much has *about* the same maintenance requirements for most all of its vehicles whether its a Vette or a Malibu ... just a guess, but I'd put $2 on that bet. :) For example, GM probably is putting 150,000 mile coolant in all its vehicles and 100,000 mile spark plugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
Norms_427 said:
Good points, but I am just sitting in my Lay-Z-Boy chair comparing spreadsheets of what I have in my garage. I was just looking at maintenance schedules, nothing more, but like a lot of threads they start expanding to other stuff.

I think that General Motors pretty much has *about* the same maintenance requirements for most all of its vehicles whether its a Vette or a Malibu ... just a guess, but I'd put $2 on that bet. :) For example, GM probably is putting 150,000 mile coolant in all its vehicles and 100,000 mile spark plugs.
Probably so, but the chevy is typically american. Cheesy. I bought a 2009 Suburban. Nothing major has gone wrong, but it's the little things. The plastic is cheap, the chrome on the interior door opening handles is peeling, the drivers side power switch cluster died, the power lock on the passenger front died and last time I changed the oil, I saw a leak of the pinion seal on the front differential and it has rattles that for some reason come out when it's cold. Then there is the programming for the transmission. They went to a 6 speed that likes to get to top gear as soon as possible and if I mash the throttle, at times it will fall on it's face wondering what to do. I have talked to others that have chevy trucks with the 6 speed and they say the same thing.

I grew up on GM and went with VW and Ford in between this car. I won't buy another GM car. It's not worth what I paid for it. The VW on the other hand was a great car. Sold it after 12 years, 150K miles with the original clutch. Nothing ever went wrong with it. Would I buy another one? My wife would, but I tried getting in the Passat and couldn't get my head under the door frame. Cars have lower roof lines nowadays...And my neck isn't so good...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Interesting thread, OP.

You have great taste in cars and motorcycles. We have the same year/color bike and I also own a Z06. :thumb: They are great cars, and I consider their maintenance costs to be rather reasonable, especially when I compare the costs to my former Porsches :crazy:

I always thought that my choice in cars and M/Cs was a bit odd. German engineering in the M/C, but American engineering in the Corvette. Vastly different function over form concepts, differentiating BMW and Corvette, excluding the C6. You probably knew that the C6 Team designed/engineered the C6 in Germany, to get Porsche enthusiasts away from Porsche. It worked on me... :D

I had to reply to your thread b/c I thought I was the only Z06/RT owner. I suppose I figured all (most?) RT owners own Bimmers and/or Porsches and MB...

Cheers,

BB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,750 Posts
Benito said:
Interesting thread, OP.

You have great taste in cars and motorcycles. We have the same year/color bike and I also own a Z06. :thumb: They are great cars, and I consider their maintenance costs to be rather reasonable, especially when I compare the costs to my former Porsches :crazy:

I always thought that my choice in cars and M/Cs was a bit odd. German engineering in the M/C, but American engineering in the Corvette. Vastly different function over form concepts, differentiating BMW and Corvette, excluding the C6. You probably knew that the C6 Team designed/engineered the C6 in Germany, to get Porsche enthusiasts away from Porsche. It worked on me... :D

I had to reply to your thread b/c I thought I was the only Z06/RT owner. I suppose I figured all (most?) RT owners own Bimmers and/or Porsches and MB...

Cheers,

BB
No bimmers here and not sure there ever will be. I like Audi though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
guys, you are talking BS. You can't compare finger with ... eee.. you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Scania trucks are scheduled for 120.000 km. F1 or NASCAR - 300 - 500 km
Which one is better now ? :crazy:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top