BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After letting my LT set for the last 5 years, I don't know why I am thinking about a new bike, but I am. I used to ride all of the time, but taking care of my elderly parents has taken a lot of my time lately. I got the ole LT out and went through everything and changed oil, coolant, and rode her a bit last week;;; she is running good. Now I am thinking about riding again.

If I buy a new K1600 I would want to do my own maintenance. So here are some questions I have:

Valve adjustment: How often? Is this hard to do?

General maintenance. One of my complaints about the LT is how hard it is to work on. Is General Maintenance hard to do. Do you have to completely disassemble the bike to get to the air filter like the LT?

Even after sitting for years, my LT is running good but I never enjoyed riding the bike at low speeds and around town. Is the K1600 easier to maneuver at low speeds? Is it as top heavy as the LT?

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Dean_BMW said:
Is the K1600 easier to maneuver at low speeds? Is it as top heavy as the LT?
I'll answer what I know....

YES!!!! and NO !!!!

It is not the same bike at all. Low speed maneuvers on the LT used to make me pucker but I really don't think twice about a U-Turn on the GTL. It feels like a sports bike. It is not top heavy and very few bikes have taken an unexpected nap. Sit on it and you will be pleasantly surprised. Take it for a ride and be prepared to be amazed. It is not your dad's LT !!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Dean_BMW said:
every 18,000 miles. Not sure how hard as I'm only at 16K now. My dealer said about 4 hours to do it.

Dean_BMW said:
General maintenance. One of my complaints about the LT is how hard it is to work on. Is General Maintenance hard to do. Do you have to completely disassemble the bike to get to the air filter like the LT?
Maintenance is very easy. I did the oil & FD fluid change in about 30 minutes. The air filter takes about 30 minutes also.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
katnapinn said:
Dean_BMW said:
every 18,000 miles. Not sure how hard as I'm only at 16K now. My dealer said about 4 hours to do it.
Radiator needs to be removed (and replaced afterwards), so it's not an easy job.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think anything on the LT is easy either. Seems as though they went out of their way to engineer unnecessary work into the bike... don't really understand where there is a marketing benefit to that... and I am not sure why the dealer would like it either. I think the dealer would have a good selling point if he could tell the customer how inexpensive it is to maintain instead of how much work it is to do the normal maintenance.

I think I am interested in a K1600, but I may wait a year or two and buy a used one. I bought the LT used and have had very little trouble with it (other than the self induced issues I have caused by letting the bike set for 5 years).... but I did do all of the weep hole drilling and all of that stuff.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Maintenance looks to be considerably easier on the 1600. Changing brake fluid on the LT were never fun, nor was coolant change. I can't speak to the valves on either bike since it's not a job I'd take on. Heck, even getting the tupperware off the 1600 is easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts