BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 52,000 mi my RT is due for a major service. Fluids, alternator belt, valve check etc. While I have always done my own service I normally try to purchase a least some of the required material from my local Dealer, which may in some small way help to keep the lights on. So, yesterday I ran down to the parts counter and picked up an oil filter, qt of gear oil and an alternator belt. I was duly impressed when I was handed an invoice for $83.44, and that's after a10% club discount! :wow:

Retail price for:
1 oil filter - $19.45
set of crush washers and 1 "O" ring = $7.00
1 qt gear lube = $21.00

I don't mind paying a little extra to help keep them in business but HOLY CRAP BAT MAN, this seems a trifle expensive!

OH, almost forgot, he threw in a FREE plastic funnel and a red shop towel! Like that's supposed to make it all better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Just wondering,
you can buy the oil and filter for 50% less at any parts store,
I also do all my own service and avoid dealer as much as possible.
I realize some stuff you just need OEM, just wondering, not judging.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
He forgot to toss in a kiss. Beemerboneyard will sell you a complete kit with filter, oil etc. for a service. You can find the Malhe filter for your bike out "there" for 10$, buy a couple, they make them for BMW. BMW oil is good but 20 a quart almost. Castrol Power 1 in your weight on Amazon is reasonable, so is any brand name MA2 motorcycle oil. Your bike does not need MA2 but it does need a motorcycle oil rating. You need to look around. Keep the next service on your shelf. Be a consumer. The Dealers and BMW are pricing themselves out into the ozone and the dealers need to revolt along with the consumer. I do believe in supporting them but not get taken advantage of. Part of the problem is the wan BMW Germany makes the dealers present themselves. The overhead is nasty.
So, now your into an oil change. lube your shift linkage ball joints, your clutch and brake lever joints, go crazy and pull your center stand and grease the bushings. Maybe drop the final drive down and grease with some moly your splines. Check your side swing arm play by trying to move the rear end and see if it moves at the main rear fork bearings behind the transmission, or at the final drive pivot bearings, or worse at the final drive housing. Lots to look at servicing a bike.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He forgot to toss in a kiss. Beemerboneyard will sell you a complete kit with filter, oil etc. for a service. You can find the Malhe filter for your bike out "there" for 10$, buy a couple, they make them for BMW. BMW oil is good but 20 a quart almost. Castrol Power 1 in your weight on Amazon is reasonable, so is any brand name MA2 motorcycle oil. Your bike does not need MA2 but it does need a motorcycle oil rating. You need to look around. Keep the next service on your shelf. Be a consumer. The Dealers and BMW are pricing themselves out into the ozone and the dealers need to revolt along with the consumer. I do believe in supporting them but not get taken advantage of. Part of the problem is the wan BMW Germany makes the dealers present themselves. The overhead is nasty.
So, now your into an oil change. lube your shift linkage ball joints, your clutch and brake lever joints, go crazy and pull your center stand and grease the bushings. Maybe drop the final drive down and grease with some moly your splines. Check your side swing arm play by trying to move the rear end and see if it moves at the main rear fork bearings behind the transmission, or at the final drive pivot bearings, or worse at the final drive housing. Lots to look at servicing a bike.
All good advise Beech. I've been riding and doing my own maintenance for 50+ years and so am pretty well aware of most of the routine items that require periodic maintenance. Having achieved the ripe old age of 78 I don't accumulate bike miles like I did several years ago. I still manage 6 to 8k annually so typically do a major service once a year. I am also well aware of many of the alternate sources for filters, oil, etc. and use them routinely. In the past, I have always tried to throw my local dealer a few bucks figuring that if everyone did so if I ever really need him for some serious issues that I couldn't handle personally he'd still be there with the lights on. However, given that his current prices are more than 2X what is available on the open market I'll probably be a less frequent customer. I hate being taken advantage of!:frown:

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
We're both in the same boat Lynn, as are many others. :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts