BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News features a comparison of maintenance costs and "costs of ownership" for the LT, GL1800 and Electra Glide. Based on an assumed five years and 75,000 miles ownership with service performed a dealer, the LT has the lowest maintenance cost total, HD the highest. The costs turn around at the end of the five years when the trade-in value is recouped, HD's lower initial cost and higher trade-in contribute to it having the lowest cost of ownership.

An interesting article for what it is, it doesn't try to address fun of ownership, dealer network, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I scanned the article, and then wondered why they bothered publishing it, since they ignored cost of operation, and used list price as purchase price.

Course, I went from HD to LT because of the way it rides, and to get away from HD dealerships.
Bob

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
jkersh1 said:
The April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News features a comparison of maintenance costs and "costs of ownership" for the LT, GL1800 and Electra Glide. Based on an assumed five years and 75,000 miles ownership with service performed a dealer, the LT has the lowest maintenance cost total, HD the highest. The costs turn around at the end of the five years when the trade-in value is recouped, HD's lower initial cost and higher trade-in contribute to it having the lowest cost of ownership.

An interesting article for what it is, it doesn't try to address fun of ownership, dealer network, etc.
That comarpison is flawed. I have no idea where they got their figures from.

BMw has a far higher actual expense if all work done in a dealer, try and find a dealer to do a 12k for under 800 anymore. they are not figuring in something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts