BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having talked with 2 local authorized BMW maintenance shops (Dealerships), I am surprised there is much difference in the cost. Am quickly approaching the 600 mile maintenance and one shop wants $375, the second wants $450. I figured both being dealerships, both would be damn near identical in price. My questions are; (1) For the first maintenance, are these prices in the ball park of what others out there are paying? (2) Based on this, what am I looking at for the next scheduled maintenance? I realize that with owning a BMW, the old adage applies, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it". However, I am very budget minded and want to spend my money wisely. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
A factor in all covered motos - RTs, LYT, GTL, GT, etc, is the cost to remove the 'tupperware' and then to replace it after you've been able to get to whatever you need serviced, of course,

·
Registered
550 Posts
Threedog, Living in Sugar Land, We have the same dealers to do our work. I got the same prices and when I realized all that's really done or needs to be actually done, is an O/F change and FD fluid change, I went and bought all the fluids and an OEM oil filter, and completed the work my self in an hours time.

If you have torx sockets and allens, and a filter wrench that works, the universal one from harbor frt works great, and something that can measure 180ml for the FD fluid,( I got a baby bottle and cut the top off the nipple) do the work yourself. AT 600 miles, the twin cams don't need throttle body syncing or valve adjustment checks.

They do look at your computer and check for faults and reset the service reminder, and they are suppose to ride it to make sure it works.

I posted this same question on a few RT forums and was told to do my own work, which I did. You will have to remove the muffler and rear wheel to do the FD change, but that is just a hand full of bolts that need to be removed. Have fun and learn about your bike.

The service reminder will come on and stay on, but it has no effect on the bike, it's just an idiot light. I'm 62, and had no problems with the service. Keep your receipts for warranty approval info. BTW no plastics come off for this service, so don't worry about that. tomp dd50

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
One correction to dirtdreamer... you do not have to remove the muffler.
Remove the top support bolt, loosen the clamp at the bottom and rotate that can to the outboard direction.

That gives plenty of room to remove the wheel and do the service.

Having said that... I always remove mine and lube the junction with some high temperature grease... makes things easier in the future.

I used to live in the Houston area. There is now more than just one shop to service our bikes... if you do not want to or have time to do it yourself. You can call them and ask what the charges are and to explain the services done. If the both say the same but have different prices, I would ask about it.

I have heard some disturbing reports about the Houston area dealers. It might be worth learning how to do it yourself. It is easy and fun. Keep records and receipts too. You will not incur any penalty nor effect your warranty if you do it yourself.

Your next scheduled maintenance is the 6k miles... then at 12k and 12k thereafter. Those services cost even more since they involve valve checks and throttle body synchs. But, doing it yourself is satisfying and easy. If you feel technically and/or tool challenged, see if some more experienced guys are doing Tech Days. They will teach you how... not do it for you, but teach you. It is also good to meet other BMW guys for rides and friendship.

I spend about $40 for a 12 k service... new oil/filter/final drive fluid/transmission oil/air filter... Full brake service is the cost of 2 cans of brake fluid.

Your actual mileage may vary... and note that my costs are higher because I like to use BMW OEM brand filters... (but not OEM fluids).

PM me if this makes no sense to you.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dirtdreamer50 said:
Threedog, Living in Sugar Land, We have the same dealers to do our work. I got the same prices and when I realized all that's really done or needs to be actually done, is an O/F change and FD fluid change... tomp dd50
FWIW, when I took my bike in for the 600 mile service last month the FD change was not necessary. Yes, this is yet another FD service change from the factory. The first FD change at that time was not required until 6k.

Threedog,

If you are inclined to perform your own maintenance, pick up the JVB DVD or similar and either buy or find someone with a GS-911 to read the computer and set service dates/mileage. An alternative to the GS-911 is finding a dealer who will do the service reset and code reading for you, some will do for 1/2 hour of labor.

Good luck.

Scot

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
For what it is worth my 1,000 km service was under $300, 270 or 80. The 10,0000 km service was delayed to 13,000 km because I was on a 9,200 km trip, the dealer said I would be fine as long as I came in before 15,000 km. That service cost almost $800 but then I replaced both tires plus the 10,000 km service requirements. I don't really think that the service cost per visit are that much higher than they were on my Honda just that the frequency is a little higher.

Gerhard

·
Registered
461 Posts
Last year I paid $195 and after reading the check list of thing they did I was "Twisted"
1 engine oil & filter
2 FD lube change - charged for 1 qt used 180cc ! $24.99
3 an a few checks , lights and brakes an such

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Originally when I bought the bike, I was not aware of the scope of work involved. It doesn't seem too foreboding after reading the posts here. I also looked at the GS-911 tool on-line and, it would seem that some local rider's groups could pool a bit of cash ($550 for the most expensive) and basically, share it within the group. Again, thanks for the feedback. The one thing I do like about having it "officially" done by an authorized service center, is that the service is "registered" and, maybe, more verifiable by a potential buyer down the line. Therefore, do you think the value of the bike is held a bit higher going that route? A bit of rambling there, sorry. :bmw:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I'm sure as an owner who has had all work done by a dealer, you would hold a higher value on it, but in reality, pricing for buying, selling, or trading comes from KBB or NADA. The only price differences are for OEM options and general condition.

It may be a selling point in a private sale, but a dealer taking a trade, even the servicing dealer, will not give you more for the bike, but may ask for a little more when selling by stating that they kept up all the services... I just went through this when trading an 03 1150RT, with all service and repair work done by a dealer. Didn't matter to the trading dealer, at all... tomp dd50

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Threedog said:
Having talked with 2 local authorized BMW maintenance shops (Dealerships), I am surprised there is much difference in the cost. Am quickly approaching the 600 mile maintenance and one shop wants $375, the second wants $450. I figured both being dealerships, both would be damn near identical in price. My questions are; (1) For the first maintenance, are these prices in the ball park of what others out there are paying? (2) Based on this, what am I looking at for the next scheduled maintenance? I realize that with owning a BMW, the old adage applies, "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it". However, I am very budget minded and want to spend my money wisely. Thanks.
Do they throw in a colonoscopy with that? :histerica

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I do not think it would matter.

Most of the time a BMW re-sale is to a BMW guy/gal. This often means the buyer will know the story and not have an expectation of dealer service.

If I were buying a bike with less than 6K miles and it were several years old... I would worry that the bike has been sitting for years. To me, that is worse case scenario, does not matter where the service was done.

Keep records no matter what.

When I buy a BMW I always take it to the dealer and have the Vin entered into their system. This way they can tell you about any recalls or technical bulletins that apply to your bike. You choice to have it brought up to date.

Interesting thing is that any brand of any bike requires maintenance. BMWs are expected to last far longer than any other brand so expecting to have more maintenance on it is normal. The cost expectation is real... taking it to a dealer at 600 and 6K then every 12k miles can add up. But, doing the work is more important than where the work was done.

I suppose some owners always take it to the dealer, but I never met one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd like to suggest that this forum consider a DIY section for hexhead & camhead GSs and RTs with stickies dedicated to the various maintenance tasks. (another BMW forum I'm a member of has this and it is very valuable to maintenance newbies)

I do my own maintenance on my RT and it is really quite easy, however, it also really helps to have a few pictures and text to guide you if you've never done some of these procedures before, such as valve adjustments, etc.

Moderators ... ?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I tend to look for used bikes that are low mileage and out of warranty time wise. I bought this 2008 RT with 16K on it and do my own work.

Cost to me of the first major service are listed below:

Oil filter $3.43 from rockauoto.com Bosch 72161
Air filter $18.95 from Beemerboneyard
4 qts oil $15.97 from Wal mart Castrol 20w50
I qt. Gear oil $ 10.97 from Autozone Mobile 1 synthetic for tranny and rear drive
feeler gauges $ 13.95 from Beemerboneyard
coil puller $25.00 from Marc Parnes
Twinmax $ 99.00 from Avd rider

I did already have my GS 911 from the LT .

Total out of pocket $187.27 and I now have the tools for the next time.

$137.95 of this was for tools. Next service should run me about $50

Ron

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
hopz said:
I do not think it would matter... doing the work is more important than where the work was done.
Agree completely. From a documentation standpoint, I download the maintenance schedule checklist from A&S and fill one out for each scheduled service. I staple receipts for the parts to the completed checklist. That's as complete a documentation to show a potential buyer as you'll get at any dealer, and for a bunch less cash-out-of-pocket.

Plus, at least in my experience from having had a couple of things done at the dealer - I do a better and more meticulous job setting things than the dealer does.

Now, I just moved and the valve feeler gauges are in a box somewhere ...

JayJay

·
Registered
550 Posts
Liv2Ride, It's strange that they said the FD didn't need servicing. When I removed mine, it was very black. It made the oil I removed look almost new.. The drain plug was void of any metal or goop build up, though.

You may check with others here about leaving the FD fluid in for 6k miles. I'm glad I changed mine. Gave me some time getting a feel for the rear portion of the bike, too...tomp dd50

·
Registered
96 Posts
One of the reasons I bought the R1200RT is it is a pretty simply bike to maintain. I purchased the DVD and have printed several tech tips. The 600 mile was a snap - the intro to my 1st bolt. I did find it interesting the small amount of hoops one needed to jump through just to replace the drive line fluid - remove muffler, wheel, sensor. Removing the plastic is rather interesting - 20 tq screws later. and when you find you have an extra after re-assembly, back tracking is kinda funny. I'm now at around 3300 miles and thinking I will be taking care of the 6K somewhere between 5 and 6K and looking forward to checking the valve clearance - sweet shim system.

Tires - I do my own tire changes with my No Mar system, but will need to purchase more rear wheel balancing shaft cones.
TB sync - need to purchase a Twinmax

For some it is just easier to take it to the dealer. But i find it more convenient to just do the maint on my own terms

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
One of the best Forums with technical articles is the BMW MOA site... BMW Motorcycle Owners Association.... aka MOA for short.

Thia Association not only has great rallies and gatherings but the monthly magazine... which has technical articles... and of course you get access to the MOA web site with the Forums.

Not a bad deal for the $35 per year...

·
Registered
73 Posts
hopz said:
One of the best Forums with technical articles is the BMW MOA site... BMW Motorcycle Owners Association.... aka MOA for short.

Thia Association not only has great rallies and gatherings but the monthly magazine... which has technical articles... and of course you get access to the MOA web site with the Forums.

Not a bad deal for the $35 per year...
Yes, I'm a member of MOA and it has some helpful DIY info in a forum subsection all for $35 per year. But I think that this forum could create it's own DIY subsection for $0.00 per year.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Keep reading,,,,,, There is so much good advice here.
As far as cost mine was...
1st $280.00
2 Nd $325.00
3 rd $380.00
After that I got a GS911 and never looked back. I enjoy doing all the rest of the service my self and take great pride in knowing it was done right :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts