BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maintenance Schedule for 2010 and up RT

Has anyone found a maintenance schedule for the 2010 and up RTs? A&S Cycles has the schedule from 2006 before the RTs were DOHC so I don't know how accurate it would be for the newer models.

· Registered
72 Posts
I don't remember where I got it but I have it in a PDF but I can't get it into a file to display on this forum (I'm digitally challenged). It's also in the Maintenance DVD. PM me and I can send the PDF to u via email if u want me to.

About the only thing I notice different IIRC between the Hexhead schedule and the Camheads is that at the 600 mile service the Camheads don't require valves to be checked as the Hexheads do.

All other vehicles I've owned a detailed maintenance schedule is in the Owner's Manual ... so why does BMW seem to make it so difficult to find? :mad:

EDIT: This PDF is for a GS but nearly everything on the periodic maintenance schedule should be about the same except for the obvious stuff like the GS has spoke wheels, etc.

· Premium Member
415 Posts
I just had mine in for service and made a faithful copy of the maintenance schedule.

I tried to attach it, but the system puked:

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp/268fa0bd1f1b6b6e00c46bacd155ed6c) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/sites/bmwlt.com/www:/usr/sites/bmwlt.com:/usr/sites/common:/dev/null) in /includes/functions_file.php on line 287

Warning: filesize() [function.filesize]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp/268fa0bd1f1b6b6e00c46bacd155ed6c) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/sites/bmwlt.com/www:/usr/sites/bmwlt.com:/usr/sites/common:/dev/null) in /includes/functions_file.php on line 293

Warning: file_exists() [function.file-exists]: open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/tmp/268fa0bd1f1b6b6e00c46bacd155ed6c) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/sites/bmwlt.com/www:/usr/sites/bmwlt.com:/usr/sites/common:/dev/null) in /includes/functions_file.php on line 631

It's all geek to me...

PM with e-mail address for a .pdf file. File size is ~70K

Tom

· Registered
72 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think this file is for 0388 series which is for an earlier version of the hexheads. The 2010 and later camheads are 0440 series. ? ? Also, this doesn't list the 600 mile service. However, practically speaking there is little difference except for a couple things namely that the camheads don't require a valve check at 600 miles the way the hexheads do.

The $109 DVD does list the schedules + valuable info on repairs + illustrations and you can click on the proper series for very some very specific information. I recommend the DVD if you're going to open your tool chest and start playing with wrenches. :)

· Premium Member
415 Posts
This is what my dealer was using as of 2/29/12. The rev date on it is 09/20/11.

Please post up a copy of the maintenance sheet for the 0440 series so we can see the difference.

No, this isn't the 600 miles service. It's the long term recurring service.

Tom

· Registered
72 Posts
Tom, I can't seem to figure out how to convert a PDF into something that will appear on this forum ... I'm digitally challenged.

But it doesn't make much difference as I said earlier I think the only difference is in the 600 mile service and the one posted for 0388 is unchanged for the 0440 ... I think ...

· Registered
184 Posts
Norms_427 said:
Tom, I can't seem to figure out how to convert a PDF into something that will appear on this forum ... I'm digitally challenged.

But it doesn't make much difference as I said earlier I think the only difference is in the 600 mile service and the one posted for 0388 is unchanged for the 0440 ... I think ...
Thanks for sending the file over, Norm. I have uploaded it and it can be found here:

http://cl.ly/Eip9

Norms_427 said:
Note that this is for the 0450 series which is for a camhead GS. But the drivetrain stuff would be identical except that the GS has a slightly different final drive ratio. I think ...
---
ETA of my 1200RT in New York: 5 March. Wish the boat would sail faster.

· Registered
275 Posts
Norms_427 said:

Please excuse me if this is a silly question. What is the significance of the numbers e.g. 0388 and 0440? I suspect these are assigned to either a model year or "generation" of a given model.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scot

· Registered
204 Posts
Liv2Ride said:
Please excuse me if this is a silly question. What is the significance of the numbers e.g. 0388 and 0440? I suspect these are assigned to either a model year or "generation" of a given model.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scot
This is BMW's "model code" for the bike. Going by how the numbers are used to select the downloadable Owner's Manuals on the BMW website, the numbers seem to denote a combination of the model, date of manufacture of the bike and the national market for which it is produced. 0430 = international model RTs, 0440 = USA market models, with other numbers for other production dates.

· Registered
72 Posts
Liv2Ride said:

Thank you in advance for your help. Scot
I'm very new to BMWs, but these numbers are the 4th through 7th numbers of your VIN # and designate a model or series of BMW bikes. My 2012 RT is 0440 and I'm guessing that it also *probably* includes the RTs from 2010 through 2012 as they are basically the same "camheads".

The 0450 = camhead GS series *I think*. 0388 = the hexhead series RTs

I have goggled trying to find a source that would make more sense of this but so far I come up with nothing.

· Premium Member
415 Posts
Norms_427 said:
I'm very new to BMWs, but these numbers are the 4th through 7th numbers of your VIN # and designate a model or series of BMW bikes. My 2012 RT is 0440 and I'm guessing that it also *probably* includes the RTs from 2010 through 2012 as they are basically the same "camheads".

The 0450 = camhead GS series *I think*. 0388 = the hexhead series RTs

I have goggled trying to find a source that would make more sense of this but so far I come up with nothing.
Norms_427 -

Thank you for the newer schedule! And another thanks to four12 for hosting!

I would still like to find a comprehensive set for an 0440 R1200RT, but with your info I might be able to roll my own.

Now, anyone care to talk about "K26"? :)

If you run your VIN through a decoder it will tell you both the Vehicle Code (0440) and the series (K26) if you put in the VIN for a late model R1200RT. Try it with ZW20000.

The K26 designation seems to be applied to all R1200RT and to an R900RT. Huh?. I can understand that the vehicle code is a subset within the series, but what's an R900RT? Google tells me it was an authority bike, but did it ever get produced? Might be a bit of a hoot. I digress...

Here's where I saw the R900RT referenced as a K26

Tom

· Registered
72 Posts
bikebits said:
Click on the link "Service", then "Rider's Manual" here and it shows the breakdown:
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...om/en/fascination/download/down_overview.html
Thanks, there's some good stuff in that link.

So 0388 = USA hexhead RTs and 0440 = USA camhead RTs.

0388 - R 1200 RT (USA)
Nov. 2004 onward
Aug. 2005 onward
June 2006 onward
July 2007 onward
Feb. 2008 onward

0440 - R 1200 RT (USA)
June 2009 onward
April 2010 onward
Aug. 2011 onward

And, Tom, that decoder link is cool. You're right, you only enter the stuff "ZW" and the numbers immediately after. Thanks.

· Registered
275 Posts
Okay, it appears we are getting closer. I have a two page PDF I would like to have uploaded that is the service info for the 0430 International model. Four12, can you help out?

I am working my local sales manager to find out if there is a 0440 specific checklist available. I suspect this is all they have, likely from a recent customer service.

· Registered
346 Posts
Liv2Ride said:
Okay, it appears we are getting closer. I have a two page PDF I would like to have uploaded that is the service info for the 0430 International model. Four12, can you help out?

I am working my local sales manager to find out if there is a 0440 specific checklist available. I suspect this is all they have, likely from a recent customer service.
Any update on the 0440 checklist?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.