BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spinedr met the three muchachos from the deep south of Vermont on Friday evening at Sunday River, ME. Sorry others couldn't make it.

We dodged the rain successfully, and had a great day riding on Sat with Guathama leading us up, down, around, and through some spectatuclar scenery on a few of Maine's better minor roads.
Thanks Guathama!

spinedr's and my LTs were the only two at the meet that I saw, but a great group of serious motorcyclists were there to chat and kick tires with. Bikes range from old British and BMWs to modern Ducatis and Triumph Speed Triples. A few Japanese bikes and a couple of Harleys (spinedr rode his wife's new HD up on Friday night but made Saturday's ride on his LT; which he rides in a very sporting manner BTW).

Mike Stackhouse, the prime mover behind the Annual Meet of the Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts, assured me that there will be a 9th annual meet next year. Nice hotel accomodations, good food, and a group of serious motorcyclists, not the tattoo'd biker types. Good excuse to go for a ride, you'll like it.
Last weekend in July.... mark your calendar and get thyself to Maine next year.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Thanks for the report on the meet, Curtis. Meme is on my list for 2008 as a MUST DO. You mentioned in an earlier thread that the organizer seemed to be getting burned out; I'd be glad to volunteer to help out with organizing tasks if that would be useful. Do you have his contact info?

Gauthama, I hope you will take us on another tour of the Maine backroads next year.

Jerry, I just read about your mishap with the LT. Glad that you were not seriously injured and that the bike is getting TLC. I dropped my LT for the first time two days after I bought it; the road situation was almost exactly what you described. A guy on a Honda 305 Scrambler from the '70s, who was wearing a football helmet, suddenly appeared, hopped off his bike, helped me get the LT upright, waved, and rode away. I still wonder if I hallucinated the whole scene.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MEME Redux

Thank you for your thoughts. I am back up riding again having replaced the right side mirror and removed the airhawk seat. I sure would like to blame the seat (not). I will post it for sale on our site along with XL J.pegs(open wide). On a lighter note there is a ride out of Dover VT sponsored by the Backroads Group. The dates are Aug. 19 thru the 22nd. Sunday to Wednesday. I will be there and maybe some of you BBD's will show up.
Gray Ghost Inn West Dover VT. 1-800-7453615. Overflow hotel# 1-802-4645652 Just 300ft. down the road.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Backroads Group?

jvalny said:
Thank you for your thoughts. I am back up riding again having replaced the right side mirror and removed the airhawk seat. I sure would like to blame the seat (not). I will post it for sale on our site along with XL J.pegs(open wide). On a lighter note there is a ride out of Dover VT sponsored by the Backroads Group. The dates are Aug. 19 thru the 22nd. Sunday to Wednesday. I will be there and maybe some of you BBD's will show up.
Gray Ghost Inn West Dover VT. 1-800-7453615. Overflow hotel# 1-802-4645652 Just 300ft. down the road.
I am not familiar with this group. Do you have a link to a page for them? Google got me Northeast Motorcycle tours but I don't think you are referring to that group.

I am always curious to know what routes are used for these guided rides.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh! Backroads Magazine.

jvalny said:
Hi Curtis, Here is their web site. www.backroadsusa.com
Thanks Jerome!
You subscribe to BackRoads? Like it? Maybe I should start subscribing.
I am going to look at that ride and my schedule and see if I can join up for some of it.

For the rest of the gang here's a link to the BackRoads Page "We're Outta Here" about the Grey Ghost stay and ride. http://www.backroadsusa.com/home.html/We're Outta Here.html Scroll down and you'll see their route from the Delaware WaterGap to the Grey Ghost. (BBDs will remember route 8A.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Backroads

Curtis, I don't subscribe to the magazine. However, some members of the LIBMWRC do and they like it. I will get a subscription.

·
Registered
444 Posts
JV I am glad you are better and about after your test on gravity. We had a great time at the MEME meet and the ride was the best :yeah: Bill I am glad that you are back safe and will plan the next MEME next year and will have a blast!!!! We have to plan that trip to NY I think it was :think: may be we can see if we can get a common date for the BBD's to meet. Lets brew the next meeting :stir: we can also do a tech meet or something :) :snork The ride in Vermont is during the week and have to work :( Yesterday a friend and I went for a ride in the woods him driving a HD 07 bike and me in my LT. We had lunch and had a conversation on wearing protection like helmet, jacket, boots etc. He had a T-shirt, jeans and no helmet just a bandana in the head :eek: I do not understand why push the limits, I know about freedom and all but no protection?? I have made that mistake and have a few scars to show. Well in a curve he fell, not hard but enough for road rash in a knee and arm, OUCH. He could not mange the curve and we were going slow (45 MH), I think he got distracted in the curvis was able to slow down some. Had a little over 2000 American Pesos in damage. He is ok just sore and has ouchy road rash. I hope he gets proper gear now, I did roved the conversation we had earlier but lightly, he was in not good situation at that time. Gents have a good night I am going to bed. :)
Me Gauthama T

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NY and tech

spinedr said:
....We have to plan that trip to NY I think it was :think: may be we can see if we can get a common date for the BBD's to meet. Lets brew the next meeting :stir: we can also do a tech meet or something :)
There is nice riding in upstate NY, Catskill area is nice and there is nice riding north of there too but I don't know the roads over there much. Maybe a little research of NY motorcycle roads needs to be done. Anyone have favorite NY roads?

Here's some stuff: http://www.motorcycleroads.us/ny.html
Scenic sweepers and a few twisties to be found in the catskills.

spinedr, my offer to rewire your HID stands, just a matter of if and when you can get down here. The big question is if that ballast still works after the beating it took. Maybe we could schedule a HID repair with a NY ride. Pick a weekend and see if we can make it work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts