BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I call my LT "Silver" like the lone rangers horse. It feels like a well mannered horse full of power and control.
I want to maintain the bike the way it needs but without any idea of a maintainance schedule I am at a loss. The previous owner did the full 36k on it before I got it. I have put over 2k on it in a month. What is next? I check the oil and brake/clutch fluids, look after the brake pads, just had BMW put two new tires on the bike and I ride it every chance I get.
When do I change oil and what about the other fluids? Dealer said oil once a year??? I didnt think that was wise but I figured I would put it to the group and see what real life LT riders say.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Here is a place to start, go to the top of the page, select files, select technical. In there you will find the maintenance schedule you are looking for. here

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
bv
willcanada said:
I call my LT "Silver" like the lone rangers horse. It feels like a well mannered horse full of power and control.
I want to maintain the bike the way it needs but without any idea of a maintainance schedule I am at a loss. The previous owner did the full 36k on it before I got it. I have put over 2k on it in a month. What is next? I check the oil and brake/clutch fluids, look after the brake pads, just had BMW put two new tires on the bike and I ride it every chance I get.
When do I change oil and what about the other fluids? Dealer said oil once a year??? I didnt think that was wise but I figured I would put it to the group and see what real life LT riders say.
Did you get the manuals with it? If not, I would get a set and a Clymer manual. I think the oil change is once a year or 6,000 miles whichever comes first, but I would have to check my manual to be sure. I created a spreadsheet wihch I use to track my maintenance. Basically, things are at 6,000 mile intervals, with the 6K intervals being oil change and inspection and the 12 and 24 intervals being more significant.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the forum Will. There is a lot to learn from this forum. The very first is that asking the dealer to do all your work is expensive (atleast for me). Also doing your own maintenance will allow you to bond better with your bike. I service the bike myself for both the reasons.

Hall Of Wisdom under the technical section is very helpful to start. Also once you are logged into the site you can perform search on existing posts that should most likely help with most common questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts