BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Having owned my LT for three days I have discovered the telltale signs of a main seal leak. There is a spreading oil patch between the engine and transmission as seen from beneath the bike. A little disappointing but buyer beware etc. :rolleyes:

The leak has not reached the point where it drips. The ride is totally unaffected with no clutch slip.

1. Will the seal fail totally and catastrophically at some point?
2. Has anybody experience of continuing to ride with this problem and for how long?
3. As I enjoy wrenching, I will do the repair myself at some point. For those who have done this repair what absolutely essential special tools did you need and what was the most difficult part of the procedure?
4. Anybody produced a photo walk through of the repair?

I have already spent hours reading previous posts on this topic but any advice, tips, encouragement etc gratefully received.

BDC

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,594 Posts
I would say that it is personal preference on how critical it is. Unless your clutch is fairly new, I would wait, because to get to the main seal, everything has to come apart. And while it is apart, it is best to change out the clutch and slave cylinder. As for any special tools, I cannot provide a answer to that.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Main seal leak

I have just replaced my clutch at 67,000 miles and had done similar work on my old K75. It is a big job probably about 2/3 days the first time - though you have had a start with the tupperware. Specail tools? 12 and 14 mil Allan keys/ sockets 1/2 inch drive, 30mil deep socket and 12mm allan key, breaker bar, BFO torque wrench, little torque wrench, axle stands and trolley jack. Lots of info on this site and just shout for help if you get stuck.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Dang Graham, I should've taken my LT to you to get a new clutch. The scenery sure would've been better. :D

·
Registered
773 Posts
Ken said 'Dang Graham, I should've taken my LT to you to get a new clutch'

You would have been more than welcome - not that you would have got much of a view from my garage floor ;-/

2 Continents
9 Countries

1 - 5 of 5 Posts