BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you get these devices, how much do they cost and where do you put them, on the bike? How close to the device in the road do you need to be to it, to be effective? Does a magnet adversely affect any function on the LT?

This was questioned in the basic MC course, the only answer at that time, by a student, was to rev the engine to try and activate the signal.

I have come across two, left turn only, signals that would not activate, and ran the lights when it was safe to do so, after waiting two complete traffic cycles....which was a long time with ten lanes of traffic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Magnets & stopping

Buy the biggest magnets you can buy (Lowes-Home Depot) and strap to the bottom of the bike. The "Green Lite" and commercially sold ones are too small and don't work.
Stop on top of the lines (usually 3 parallel lines wires sunken in street) if you are the 1st one up.
I also move far forward so a cage will be on top of the 3 lines.
OR RUN the light "SAFELY" if it won't trip! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Whenever I run into the problem in my local area I send an email to the county DOT. They will send someone out to adjust the sensors. The sensors usually work for me on my LT except if there has been some additional paving done after the sense loops were already installed.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Find a local geek - see if they've got any old hard drives. Pull the magnets out of a couple old drives and let them stick to the center stand frame or rock shield.

Still some discussion as to weather they do more than make you feel good - but I've got about a half dozen on my LT and the lights turn for me now.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
First look at the loops in the pavement. If the loops are rectangular than a magnet will not work. If they are square, oval, or circular than a large magnet will work. Try to drive directly over the loop line and stop on the corner of the loop closest to the intersection on the side closest to the traffic light box (large galvanized box somewhere near the intersection). The magnetic field is strongest at this spot. If that doesn't work, call your state or what ever agency controls the lights and let them know. The number can usually be found on the traffic light box, or you can call your local law enforcement non-emergency number and ask them for the agency and number.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Zotter said:
I've got about a half dozen on my LT and the lights turn for me now.
And thanks from the rest of us for cleaning up the metal debris from the roadway!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
yechave said:
I have come across two, left turn only, signals that would not activate, and ran the lights when it was safe to do so, after waiting two complete traffic cycles....which was a long time with ten lanes of traffic.

Thanks!
Wayne,

I posted the information in the post below several years ago. The procedure works for me , but results can vary by region , as "loop" technology may be different. Give it a try I think you will like.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=152536&page=&view=&sb=&o=&fpart=&vc=1

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Rick-L said:
And thanks from the rest of us for cleaning up the metal debris from the roadway!
They do that on the flight lines and airfiles where I used to work. But ya know - in the 3 years of ride'n with these things on my LT, I've yet to pick up anything.

Maybe it's all those wide tires the bling bikers are using these days.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
yechave said:
Where do you get these devices, how much do they cost and where do you put them, on the bike? How close to the device in the road do you need to be to it, to be effective? Does a magnet adversely affect any function on the LT?

This was questioned in the basic MC course, the only answer at that time, by a student, was to rev the engine to try and activate the signal.

Thanks!
If you just want to buy one and be done with it, I've used this one with good success

CLiCKY CLICKY

Attaches to the center stand with the provided sticky tape and zip tie...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I agree with you guys... Where I live was once a "small town". After meeting the guys who maintained the traffic signals in the "city limits", we became friends. I now only need call the office, leave a voicemail that an intersection is malfunctioning and they will resolve it. When asked, I also use my motorcycle in the "setting" process.

That is very helpful.

When we first met I got the "chapter and verse" that "It works for cars." The discussion got on to the topic of "licensed vehicles" and, since my motorcycle fit the description, they agreed the technology should function properly.

This required a 'rewire' of the street... not complicated, but it does cost some $.

Another problem was they were directed by "management" to run the systems on "lower" power to extend the life of the sensor.. (of course, after re-wire, they now run it on MEDIUM anyway..)

The final discussion point, all just very low key, was to say to them... "Ok, so, if a light totally malfunctions, what is the the law?" They said, "The law allows you to proceed when it is safe to do so." I replied, "Great.. please, remember this discussion because when the malfunction of this light forces me to follow the letter of that law, I will explain our discussion with the judge and that I am following your direction."

·
Registered
195 Posts
One thing I've found to help (on smaller bikes--I've been lucky with the LT) is to put the sidestand down at or near the loop. This little extra bit of metal right at the street seems to help. I always try to stop right on the loop (not in the center of the box) so it's not hard to do this.

Of course it means I have to take the bike out of gear, but if I've been sitting there waiting long enough it's usually because there's not a car behind me as they would have tripped the loop for me.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Intersection Camera

This might start a flurry of unintended emails. The local PD said that the DOT is putting in cameras to try to get around the tripping problem on the lights. These cameras don't take a picture, just activate the lights when they sense a change in their field of view. Any members of the constabulary want to chime in on that one? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
chuckle said:
This might start a flurry of unintended emails. The local PD said that the DOT is putting in cameras to try to get around the tripping problem on the lights. These cameras don't take a picture, just activate the lights when they sense a change in their field of view. Any members of the constabulary want to chime in on that one? :rolleyes:
The cameras may be ok for left turn lanes, but I have one spot where the camera does not pick up a motorcycle. It is a exit ramp off of a interstate highway that has a wide "single" lane in which cars can be side by side to go either right or left. If I am the only one sitting there and am on the left side, I am out of luck.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
mtrevelino said:
The cameras may be ok for left turn lanes, but I have one spot where the camera does not pick up a motorcycle. It is a exit ramp off of a interstate highway that has a wide "single" lane in which cars can be side by side to go either right or left. If I am the only one sitting there and am on the left side, I am out of luck.
I guess that is when you take your magnet and throw it at the camera?:p

We have been getting more camera actvated lights in our city but so far they all "see" me.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
chuckle said:
The cameras are becoming more and more prevalent in Texas. They are looking for "enough" of a change in the pixels to determine a vehicle is waiting to use the intersection. As pointed out by a subsequent post, the helpfulness of the camera depends a lot on how large of an area it must survey and the size of the detection "target."

As for the advice our Deacon received about running the light in Texas, I am unaware of any entry in the Texas Transportation Code that grants the authority to enter an intersection while facing a red traffic control device to a private motor vehicle. Some states permit entry by motorcycles under specific conditions, but Texas is not one of those. Perhaps the state legislature has bestowed special authority upon that streets department employee to issue special clearance at will. :histerica

·
Registered
86 Posts
I ducktaped car audio speaker magnets to the soles of my boots. Trips traffis lights every time. Looks neat too. :dance:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I do have a few magnets on the LT and they seem to work. Of course, the newer the intersection/traffic signal system is the better they work, of course. A couple of things to remember, in a car or motorcycle: First, always stay behind the white line. If you go even a little beyond it or straddle it the sensor thinks you already left so it won't activate the signal. Better a bit behind the line. Secondly, take a look at the intersection and what would be "normal" traffic. Is it heavy? If so, the sensors may be programmed for a "3 car loop", meaning a few cars have to be in that lane before the turn signal will activate. If you're alone in that lane, again, stay back a ways so the sensor knows you're there. It's frustrating sometimes but if you keep in mind how the sensors work it will make it more tolerable.

·
Registered
534 Posts
deputy5211 said:
As for the advice our Deacon received about running the light in Texas, I am unaware of any entry in the Texas Transportation Code that grants the authority to enter an intersection while facing a red traffic control device to a private motor vehicle. Some states permit entry by motorcycles under specific conditions, but Texas is not one of those. Perhaps the state legislature has bestowed special authority upon that streets department employee to issue special clearance at will. :histerica
Then what do you do:confused: Go straight ahead from a turn lane when the lanes for going straight get the green? Were I live, Chicago burbs, people do that all the time just to get ahead of the pack.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts