BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200RT
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the orig small BMW tank bag and have been looking for a larger bag. I like the look and convenience of the magnetic bags types over the strap version I think (never used either).

Has anyone ever placed any metal sheeting (thin most likely) on the underside of the tupperware using JB Weld or Epoxy so the magnetic bags could stick? Not sure if this would work or not, but just an idea I had today while riding home on the LT from the Greenville, SC Progressive MC show. Met saddleman, lee510 and another couple of great guys from NC at the show today at the BMWON booth and look forward to riding with them sometime.

:wave

Looking for a 10 to 18 liter bag I think based on what I've seen so far.

Thanks for the help or any ideas.

Sammy

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Interesting idea :thumb:

I have a magnetic bag for my Airheads which I really like. Never thought about trying at attach it to the LT.

One thing about the LT is the sweep of the "roto-tiller" handlebars, it does limit the size and shape of the bag you can mount.
And I hate how the horn blasts sometimes when making a full lock left turn in a parking lot. The horn button hits the tank bag, the horn blasts, everyone around looks, I get startled, and we fall over. A real crowd pleaser: blast horn to signal look and me, then fall over. :histerica

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
CharlieVT said:

A real crowd pleaser: blast horn to signal look and me, then fall over. :histerica

Classic, an absolute classic!!:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Curtis, you're a trip :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
CharlieVT said:

One thing about the LT is the sweep of the "roto-tiller" handlebars, it does limit the size and shape of the bag you can mount.
And I hate how the horn blasts sometimes when making a full lock left turn in a parking lot. The horn button hits the tank bag, the horn blasts, everyone around looks, I get startled, and we fall over. A real crowd pleaser: blast horn to signal look and me, then fall over. :histerica
You tube material, I do believe!!! :histerica

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't use a magnetic bag, not sure about that, but I use a bags connection enduro bag available through the twisted throttle catalogue. It is expandable to at least as big as you specified for size. The front strap loops under the semi circular plastic extension behind the handlebars and two clip on straps attach to the frame and come up past the seat. It has been quite secure and stable, quickly and easily attaches and detaches, and has a handy map window as well. I used this bag for over 30,000 km of travel this past summer, and the only issue I observed was maps in the viewing window could get damp when riding in an all day rain. The contents of the interior remained dry if packed in the waterproof inner liner. It probably wouldn't be too hard to come up with a see through water proof cover for the map window, although I haven't put any effort into that yet. Anything damp was always dry after a night of motel camping. Hope this helps.
Ross

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Blast horn = Red Neck's most often last three words.

Hey Watch This! :dance:

·
Registered
31 Posts
crayhlr said:
Check out this bag and the way it mounts www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/4896/MarseeTankBags

I have been using one of these for 2 years and love it. Mine is powered up also so I can plug in all my electronics. Love it!
I was wondering about these tank bags. The corona mounting system would fix the scratches-in-the-paint problem, Do you have the 6 liter with the soft map cover or the 10 liter with the hard map cover? In pictures, the 6 L looks like it might have a hard time keeping water out.

Did the electrification require you to use an extension SAE cord from RPW? Also when you unplug the cord from the bag so you can remove the bag, is there a cord stub sticking out? How far?

I think I am interested in getting one of the 10 L bags but I really don't want the handlebars (horn button or signal lights) touching the bag. If yours is the 10 L, have you experienced that problem?

Jonny Oliver
Concord, NC
2000 K1200 LT

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
CharlieVT said:

I have a magnetic bag for my Airheads which I really like. Never thought about trying at attach it to the LT.

I have to agree with you Charlie about the tank bag touching the handle bars. I don't know what year bike we are talking about but on my new LT there is a mount which comes with it for the Nav IV. Then next are the control console for computer and then the glove box for cell phone, I-pod, and built in CD player so where is the tank bag going.

My buddy who always told me the LT was better than the GW which I had at the time would let me ride his K100LT the original (it like a pregnant woman after giving birth) 500 pounds max. Anyway he has a tank bag that rises 6 inches above the tank and see thru map window but his handle bars are little stumps and when we gas up I get to mine without delay but he has to wrestle with his and make sure everything is zipped up securely before he can begin to pump.

Just one thing I am used to fueling on the center stand but the book says use side stand and have to clear the right bar to fill. There are enough distractions between me and the windshield for me to add one more. I want a cup holder similar thought, forget it.

And I am not laughing :histerica :histerica :histerica I'm just saying.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts