BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of guys from north Georgia organized this rally. They are from the IntruderAlert site. It was originally a Suzuki owners site but many have moved on to other brands but stayed on the site. I'm one of them.
On April 30 I rode out of Wichita Falls to Lake Charles, La. I spent the night there with a friend and he and I hooked up with another Harley rider and headed to Tuscaloosa, Al. We spent the night there and the next day we rode up to Suches, Ga and met up with about a dozen other riders. We rode Wolf Pen Gap Road and had some good gumbo for supper.
The next day we all saddled up and headed for Maggie Valley. It was a nice ride up and we met up with the other riders at the Smokey Valley Lodge. There were 30 bikes and 34 riders in all. We rode as many local roads as we could in the short time we had. We hit a little wet pavement but it dried out and we never really got rained on. We did the Dragon on wet road so it was relatively slow. Most of our bikes were cruisers. I was the only BMW there.
The roads in that area are great for motorcycles. I had no idea what I was in for when I went. I'd love to go again. We left out Sunday morning early and I split off from the others when we hit I-40. When I hit the super slab I set me cruise and went home in 17 hours. I missed all the rain and got home dry and worn out. The stock seat really sucks on this bike. The Soft Touch I installed is not much better. I'll have to remedy that soon.
The bike did great. It quit on me once before I got into Maggie Valley. I was coasting down a hill in third gear slowing for traffic when it just went dead on me. I clutched it and coasted down the hill to a pull off. I turned the key off and back on and hit the fob and it started right up. Never did it again. I guess it was just a fluke. I pour a can of SeaFoam in the next fuel stop. Outside of an ugly scratch on my right hardbag from someone walking by, it was a great trip. All the ribbing I took being the only Beemer rider was in good fun. I shot back with the Harley pukes retorts and we all had a great time. I got in 3,000 miles last week and had a nice vacation. Life is good in Texas.......... :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You can only take a trip like that on a bike. Sounds like a nice trip.

Wolf Pen Gap is an intense road. I got passed by some liter class RR bikes like I was standing still.

I haven't checked lately but I assume Two Wheels Only is closed. That was a nice spot for bikers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts