BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new K1600GT is a beautiful machine. A tremendous Sport bike. I would like to have one myself. But I have to ask why. Why would BMW just surrender the Luxury Touring crown chase to "Emperor Honda" without losing?

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
NCCCC1 said:
The new K1600GT is a beautiful machine. A tremendous Sport bike. I would like to have one myself. But I have to ask why. Why would BMW just surrender the Luxury Touring crown chase to "Emperor Honda" without losing?
"I don't understand. Everywhere we stood on foreign soil." (A German infantrymans spin on the 11/11 surrender and subsequent treaty of Versailles. This feeling helped set the storm weather conditions to hit 20 rears later.) May German Luxury Touring rise again!!!
Long live Kaiser BMW!!!

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
tvguy said:
Nuclear Plant Electrician.
"splains it" as Ricky would say

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I think he's bemoaning the cessation of the K1200LT production and hoping for a new and improved model, thus far unannounced by corporate HQ.

P.S.
:wtf: ???

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Good to know I was not the only one. :confused:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dude! Look out for that shark(s)!!!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
K16OOLT - with fully integrated body, hmmmm, that would indeed be a big mother. Very fast and very large, but probably not as heavy as our K12's. I also don't really understand why there is now no direct competitor to the 'Wing, mustn't be part of the direction or strategy set by BMW, who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I can just hear the discussion in the marketing meeting:

Marketing Manager- "So, should we build another LT?"

Marketing Underling- "Well sir, the average age of customers riding couches on wheels is in the upper 50's. Those folks are all going to die off and the next generation really doesn't want a couch on wheels".

Marketing Manager- "Underling, how to you know they don't want one".

Marketing Underling- "Sir, because we conducted a focus group meeting, asked them and they said no way they're going to ride what the old guys ride".

Marketing Manager- "Did you ask them what they're going to ride when their ass hurts, their back hurts, their joints hurt and their SO says I'm done riding on the back of that damn sport bike?"

Marketing Underling- "Yes sir, we did. They said they're young, strong and are certain they will never feel like that".

Marketing Manager- "Good job, Underling. That settles it...call engineering and cancel that new LT project. When all those old guys die, nobody is going to want one of those things".

...and that is why there isn't going to be a replacement for the LT. However, in about 15 years when the guys in the focus group are also over 50, they will be wondering why no one builds couches on wheels anymore. The good news...that is when your LT will be a "classic" couch on wheels and worth thousands more than you paid. :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was a nerve touched?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am waiting to find a wrecked k16 with a good drive train and a K1200lt with a blown motor.

Let the sparks fly!!!

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
Was a nerve touched?
Nahhh...I'm 57 and still compete in triathlons.

The point is when we're young, we can never imagine a time when our tastes will change to what the "old guys" like. Then, we get older and realize those old guys' tastes didn't change because they wanted them to...they changed because their bodies forced the issue.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Acceptable for us to grow old, unacceptable for us to ever grow up. The minute we grow up we are old, and I've seen lots of men who are old before their time and far too serious about life. Think young, act young, stay young at heart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not so long ago I heard that the Honda GoldWing was going to be retired. Therefore, it does make sense that NO-ONE has brought out a contemporary bike to challenge it. As we all know Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha dropped there GW contenders a very long time ago.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
NCCCC1 said:
Was a nerve touched?
Well, that metaphor was a bit of a stretch....

I actually believe that BMW will introduce a K1600LT (or maybe an 1800) based on the current K1600GT platform.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
K100Dennis said:
Acceptable for us to grow old, unacceptable for us to ever grow up. . . . Think young, act young, stay young at heart.
+1
:D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, I believe it is stragety. They are abandoning us old farts who like our comfort and performace together to appeal just to the well healed young uns who don't really understand touring. Long live the LT and that is why I replacec my long in tooth LT with a RT. I almost went to the Gold Thing, but just could not make myself do it.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
832 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I actually believe that BMW will introduce a K1600LT (or maybe an 1800) based on the current K1600GT platform.
I was waiting for you to respond to this. :D Hope that you are right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts