BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The lights on the luggage rack light bar on my 2007 LT are not working. They worked fine prior to my recent Hannigan conversion. I researched this site and found some pictures of the wiring and connection behind the top case light compartment, but mine looks different. I have a call in to Hannigan but have not heard back and thought that perhaps someone here could offer some insight. Maybe just something unplugged, or something I could fix myself. Thanks for your help.

Ray

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
The connector is supposed to be right behind the vanity mirror unit (down in the pocket). Not sure what they do during the conversion with wiring so anything is possible. They may have missed a connector under the pillion seat.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Ray,

You have any pictures of your trike conversion to share?
-

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I have since added armrests for my wife and she is so happy. When she is happy, I am happy because I love having her with me.

Ray

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason the picture in my original post got fouled up, so here is another. This is what I found in the oddments box in the top case.

Looking at other posts on this topic, it seems that this is the wiring they have.

The wires on mine that feed through the tubing from the top case down under the passenger seat include 1 brown wire and 1 yellow/gray wire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2009 LT Hannigan conversion and the wiring is like the second picture in your last post. Wondering what the red wire in your first picture is for?? Looks like an extra power source, but I can't imagine for what.

Have you tried to trace the red wire into the trike body or routed under the passenger seat? May seem like a silly observation, but you only stated that your light bar doesn't work. What did it do before the conversion?

My light bar works in conjuction with the brake lights, not the running lights.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
The extra element in your first picture is what causes the top case LED to flash a deceleration pattern. The red wire is used to provide a running light feature to the light bar.

Perhaps the unit is bad. Try plugging the wires in directly, bypassing the flasher. You can also try feeding 12v into the light bar and also into the flasher as well as checking the incoming wrest for 12v when brakes applied (red wire should be always hot).

HTH.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the helpful replies. I removed the rear seat and traced the red wire. It is connected to nothing under the seat. Just bare and hanging there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
deputy5211 said:
The extra element in your first picture is what causes the top case LED to flash a deceleration pattern. The red wire is used to provide a running light feature to the light bar.

Perhaps the unit is bad. Try plugging the wires in directly, bypassing the flasher. You can also try feeding 12v into the light bar and also into the flasher as well as checking the incoming wrest for 12v when brakes applied (red wire should be always hot).

HTH.
I did as you suggested and bypassed the extra element and I now have brake lights on my light bar. I am happy with that and thank you all very much.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Arby60 said:
I did as you suggested and bypassed the extra element and I now have brake lights on my light bar. I am happy with that and thank you all very much.

Excellent! Now that you know the LED works, you might try supplying 12v to the red wire and reconnecting the widget. Should give you running light and deceleration flasher. If not, you know you can always remove it from the circuit and have a standard brake lamp.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ray, very nice !
How does she handle ?
What is she like when going around fast corners ?
Does she brake better than a two wheeled model ?
Simon

·
Registered
31 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Excellent! Now that you know the LED works, you might try supplying 12v to the red wire and reconnecting the widget. Should give you running light and deceleration flasher. If not, you know you can always remove it from the circuit and have a standard brake lamp.
I saw an LT at Sedalia that had luggage rack lights that flash in a somewhat random pattern and I wondered how that was hooked up. Since these posts have described a "widget", what would be another name for the widget if I were to go looking for one for my 2000 LT?

Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts