BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am posting here to see if anyone else have the same issues.

I REALLY REALLY HATE American companies, I can't recall one single company that has decent customer service.

Whether it is Amazon or Lucas Oil, this constant never giving a crab about the customer.

I recently replaced the final drive Oil with Lucas Oil, the bike was running fine till I replaced the Oil.

It started leaking slowly and now the drive needs to be replaced/rebuilt.

Anyone else had similar experience ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Hi,

I REALLY REALLY HATE American companies, I can't recall one single company that has decent customer service.

Whether it is Amazon or Lucas Oil, this constant never giving a crab about the customer.

I recently replaced the final drive Oil with Lucas Oil, the bike was running fine till I replaced the Oil.

Thank you.
What seal started leaking and why does it need to be rebuilt/replaced? How many miles on it and what year? What was on the magnet when you changed the oil.

As long as the Lucas product meets the required GL5 spec, I wouldn't be blaming the oil just yet. These drives have been knows to go out on occasion :wink:

As far as Amazon. I have had nothing but stellar customer service from them. They even refunded my money from a 3rd party seller which they didn't really have to do as they aren't responsible for the 3rd party product itself, only a marketer for them.

Reactions: Patric and beech

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Hi,

Thank you.
Yes, mine failed at 27,000 miles while running genuine BMW synthetic gear oil. Pinion seal began to leak. I had it rebuilt and now use Castrol dino gear oil per Tom Cutter's recommendation. Although the oil I have is no longer sold by Castrol and I think their replacement is either synthetic or semisynthetic.

I rather much doubt that the oil caused your problem. These FDs are notorious for premature failure. Saddleman is a forum member who rebuilds a lot of these. Your best bet is to contact him.

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts