BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 K1200LT and poured a 16oz bottle in the gas tank after reading aboujt Lucas oil on another thread. Question 1. Was I supposed to pour the entire contents and 2. how ofthen do I need to pour this stuff in my tank?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I do it a couple of times a year,

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I looked at some Lucas transmission treatment once and it says it "resurfaces bands". I was born at night but not last night. I use SeaFoam............... :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
GDRDoc said:
I've got a 2003 K1200LT and poured a 16oz bottle in the gas tank after reading aboujt Lucas oil on another thread. Question 1. Was I supposed to pour the entire contents and 2. how ofthen do I need to pour this stuff in my tank?
Not the whole bottle....It wont hurt it, just not required. I only use about 3 oz per fill up. I add it on one fill up per thousand miles....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Those things have directions on them. Luckily your LT has a 6 gallon tank and can dilute the additive, although more is not better. But if it runs bad, you'll know why.

Hope this stuff is not made by the same folks that make automotive electronics. :p

Be glad you didn't pull the epic NOS additive failure...
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570&page=2
Still funny years later :histerica

·
Registered
498 Posts
dukey33 said:
Those things have directions on them. Luckily your LT has a 6 gallon tank and can dilute the additive, although more is not better. But if it runs bad, you'll know why.

Hope this stuff is not made by the same folks that make automotive electronics. :p

Be glad you didn't pull the epic NOS additive failure...
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570&page=2
Still funny years later :histerica
Now THATS funny....

·
Registered
498 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I toss in a little Techron once a year just for grins but always right before an oil change. Why? I don't like solvents in my crankcase oil... :stir:
Does it bring out any gunk? Or for just a general cleaning prior to the oil service?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dukey: There was nothing on the bottle stating to only put in a few ounces into the tank. It only says the contents treats up to 6 gallons. If it did, I wouldn't have posted the question on the forum.
To the others who posted supportive replies, thank you.
I did pour the contents into the tank and the bike does run better, though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What's the difference between Lucas and Seafoam? Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
kimokk said:
What's the difference between Lucas and Seafoam? Thanks.
Preference.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
Preference.
Lucas contains no alcohol and is not water soluble.

Seafoam contains alcohol and is water soluble.

...and for reference, my favorite, Techron contains no alcohol and is not water souble either.

My preference for using Techron is:

1. I can buy it in bulk at Costco for about 60% of retail.

2. I've got a bunch of vehicles to maintain, and many of them sit for months unused. (unfortunately including my LT since riding in 100F weather is not much fun)

3. I use it prophylactically.

4. I figure there is already too much ethanol in my gas, and raising it above the 10% level - even for a short time - is probably not good....

·
Registered
498 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Lucas contains no alcohol and is not water soluble.

Seafoam contains alcohol and is water soluble.

...and for reference, my favorite, Techron contains no alcohol and is not water souble either.

My preference for using Techron is:

1. I can buy it in bulk at Costco for about 60% of retail.

2. I've got a bunch of vehicles to maintain, and many of them sit for months unused. (unfortunately including my LT since riding in 100F weather is not much fun)

3. I use it prophylactically.

4. I figure there is already too much ethanol in my gas, and raising it above the 10% level - even for a short time - is probably not good....
I should have clarified what I meant by preference....

If you want a solvent for fuel system related, then use Seafoam. It is an EXCELLENT cleaner and carbon deposit remover. You can also add to oil, but NO MORE THAN 10 MILES BEFORE YOU CHANGE THE OIL. It thins oil out drastically while it cleans.

If you want a less aggressive, but still very effective fuel treatment, use Lucas.

I use about 3oz of Lucas at least six times a year. Very pleased.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts