BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing all the oils. Engine, Trans, Diff. for my 36K service, Used Mobil 1 all the way around, and when I went for a ride It seemed that the bike was significantly quieter. Mostly the trans upshifted much quieter. Is it possible the trans oil was low?
I didn't pull the fill plug until I had already pulled the drain so I can't verify that the trans was full. And I filled the trans till oil was running out and put the plug in with oil running out.

Or is it all just in my head <g>. Again....

Spence

·
Registered
574 Posts
Spence,

Similar experience here. I always hated the way my bike clunked on shifting...and I often missed shifts because the tranny was hard to shift.

I put Mobil 1 in and immediately it was smooth and much quiter. Has been like butter ever since. I was actually shocked at the magnitude of the difference.

I went from frustrated to happy!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
re: mobil 1 oil

Did you use synthetic oil al the way around? Did you use the recommended viscosity type recommended for each specific area?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used 15W50 extended life for the engine and Used 75W90 in the trans/diff.

Both Full Synthetic.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had the same results when switched over to Red Line Synthetics. Seemed smoother and a little quieter. Now pull your shift linkage apart and clean and grease it...that is a real difference!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Absolutely ! When I lubed the shift linkage at 12K it made the most difference of all of the maintenance I did. Very smooth. I just received some synthetic grease and will try it on the shift linkage next service to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
185 Posts
14MM allen wrench

Spence,
Where did you get the 14MM allen wrench to drain tranny?
Couldn't find one a local auto parts.
Tried the 3/8 thread coupling nut, but it's the wrong size at my HW store?

Thx
larry

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
14mm Allen

Larry, get thee to Autozone! They have a 3 bit set which includes a 14mm for a very cheap price. This is where most of us on the list found ours.

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yepper., Autozone

7.99 for the three bits...

Can't go wrong. As long as you have a 1/2" drive wrench..

Spence

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I like the wind in my face and boobies on my back.

I like it the other way!!! OOOps wrong bulletin board

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Careful the forum police will get you.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Kip,
Please consider filling out your user profile so someone near you might be better able to help you than I.
Anyway, PepBoys, Autozone, Oreilley's, NAPA, and finally WALL-MART should all have mobile1.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Yep, Mobil 1 is pretty standard at most auto parts places. And contrary to the excessive marketing hype, you do not need motorcycle-specific oil for the LT. It has a dry clutch, outside the engine oil bath, so it runs more like a car engine than a bike engine. Maybe a few more rpms, but standard oil works just fine if it meets BMW's recommended specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts