BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum...looking to put an aftermarket exhaust on my lt1200 and would like to know what brands make them and where you've bought them from. I had an Honda ST1300 before and when I put an aftermarket exhaust on it the low end sucked and died a couple times. This 1200 doesn't have much on the low end to begin with and I don't want to spend over a grand for an exhaust that dies on me. If it does this with my wife on the back going around a corner we might bite it....

Personally, I'd like to buy a used aftermarket that way if I didn't like it I could get most of my $$$ back out of it. I seen from the posts that some are having issues with the remus not fitting are there others available out there that people have tried and liked? How did the low end do? Has it died on you?

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
173 Posts
Of course, an aftermarket exhaust can really mess with the mix and torque curve (some bikes more than others). As far as the LT goes, I have not experienced any performance/behaviour problems with the Remus/Rhinewest combo. Mainly due to the fact that the chip has been tuned to match the fuel and timing to the exhaust velocities through the RPM's. Right now, its the only method I know of to do this on the LT as the PowerCommander never really panned out (The Motronic is a stubborn German).

Bottom line, just slapping on an exhaust rarely amounts to much except more noise and performance loss. Combine it with ECU tune and it MAY be worth it. I like the Remus, but to be honest, the performance increase was not earth shattering and I would not have done it if I knew then what I know now. It's a luxo-tourer and should sound like one, but that's just me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
aftermarket exhaust

The Remus/Rinewest seems to be the favored combo on the LT and many other BMW's. However, I have a Two Brothers with chip on my K1200RS and love it. A little louder than the Remus but not obnoxous. It makes you want to play above 4 grand on the tach as the pull and sound from there up is worth the price of admission.

Having said that, I have stock exhaust on my LT and really like the quiet on the big girl. Wouldn't mind losing the 20 pounds by ditching the cat and stock pipe but then it would be louder and cost a grand or so to do it.
Guess if I really wanted to lose 20 pounds, I could go on a diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts