BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

LT without problems?

6K views 63 replies 54 participants last post by  sleepwalker 
#1 ·
I read about the catastrophic and expensive failures of the LT on this forum. This leaves me wondering if any of you have owned an LT for many years and miles without major failures. Please tell me yes...

#3 ·
Yes, many people have. Some people have had problems with their LTs, too. Most fix them and just keep riding.

Usually when I see a thread like this I kinda blast the guy who starts it because it's a level of whining I just don't tolerate well. You caught me on a good day, so I'm just going to share a few thoughts.

Motorcycles are machines.

Machines break.

Motorcycling is a passion.

Passion outweighs a lot of things, as we all will spend more money, time energy, etc. on things we are passionate about than rational thought would generally allow.

If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport.

Otherwise, ride your bike, enjoy the experience, love the time you spend doing it, stop, take in the sights, then repeat.

Fretting over what might happen is a waste of life, which is already too short.

#4 ·
I have a 1999 LTi that is # 107 US model, a press bike used in the intro of the LT. It has 135550 miles with the single failure of a leaking steering dampner that I replaced myself (2 bolts). Twice it failed to start when the line from the fuel pump came off. I removed the tank and replaced the filter and clamps. I do all my own maintenance, use BMW oil with moly disulfide added with each oil change to the rear drive. Brake pads have lasted 85K front and rear. tires metzler 880 last 18k to 25K . After the LT came out of the warrenty period I changed the motor oil to mobile one and changed all fluids at 10K. It gives 50 mpg in all warm weather operations and has given 60+ on several tanks at altitude. I carry a set of shift linkage, never used it. I have two complete rear drives in my garage in shipping boxes with the special tools that can be overnighted anywhere, never needed them. Its on battery #2 and is on a tender. I can leave for the west coast tomorrow without worry.
Everything works. Its the best motorcycle Ive owned 56 years of riding. I just purchased a 2007 K1200GT and will sell the LT later this spring. I have a hip replacement and can no longer pickup the LT if it falls over, I will really miss it.
I hope this helps you . Norm

#5 · (Edited)
DavidTaylor said:
Yes, many people have. Some people have had problems with their LTs, too. Most fix them and just keep riding.

Usually when I see a thread like this I kinda blast the guy who starts it because it's a level of whining I just don't tolerate well. You caught me on a good day, so I'm just going to share a few thoughts.

Machines break.

Passion outweighs a lot of things, as we all will spend more money, time energy, etc. on things we are passionate about than rational thought would generally allow.

If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport.

Otherwise, ride your bike, enjoy the experience, love the time you spend doing it, stop, take in the sights, then repeat.

This is a good day? ;) :p

I'm like David though. It's a machine just fix it and ride. I've had two clutch replacements at approx $1500 a repair and a FD replacement at about $1000. It's the price of ownership. Would I ride something else. Nope!

#6 ·
2 answers with no problems and two saying it is a machine, it breaks, live with it.

If you had a car that had final drive failures, seals leaking clutches failing at less than 40K miles, etc.. would you still be happy?

Just asking a question?

Roy

#7 ·
I've only had my 05 2 1/2 years and just about zero problems. The Bridgestones that came on the bike sucked and the dealer replaced the rear wheel because we didn't know if the scratch that was there was a crack or not. I do my own oil changes the dealer does everything else. The service cost has been very reasonable, never have gotten ripped off and when it's there I get a new BMW for a loner. Although I might start looking for a second lighter bike I have no plans of selling this one. The love affair that started on day one is just as strong today!

#8 ·
bigbear said:
2 answers with no problems and two saying it is a machine, it breaks, live with it.

If you had a car that had final drive failures, seals leaking clutches failing at less than 40K miles, etc.. would you still be happy?

Just asking a question?

Roy
I have had a '99,trouble-free for 46k miles.
An '03 with a new clutch at 5k,rear at 36k,rear at 47k.
I don't know of a car out there that will bring a smile to my heart as well as the LT does.

dan

#9 ·
bigbear said:

Just asking a question?

Roy
BTDT and yes after it was fixed I was happy!!!! It's still just a machine.

OBTW, I had 124,000 miles on the LT that had all those repairs. Just to put things in the correct perspective.

#10 ·
Buy it... ride it... enjoy it...

Motorcycling is a "relationship"... you either love it or you don't. "If I have to explain, you'll never understand."... that sorta thing.

Occasionally folks have a "high maintenance" relationship... from an "outside perspective", while they may be happy in that relationship, it's just diamonds, diamonds, diamonds.

From all the bikes I've owned, the LT is more expensive... not exactly what I expected. However, the "wow" factor explains it all...

So, when it needs fixin' I fix it or have it fixed.

It is interesting how I personally find that I want to have "less" to worry about in my life, that I expect my "choices" in life to give me more "stability"... but that isn't realistic to expect from people or things they build.... I do HOPE..and follow proper maintenance techniques... that's all we can do.

'nuff said...

#11 ·
Yeah, It's true all machines breakdown. BUT some more than others. Example would be Toyota and Honda's reliability as compared to other cars. So while we have passion for our sport there are expectations from our machines. I was drawn to BMW because of their reputation for reliability. And yes while I enjoy riding the LT I have been very disappointed by BMWs so called legendary reliability.

#12 ·
I've had 3 lt's. The only real problems have been dealer induced. I have had a couple of shocks fail over the years but nothing like the old Nivomats. Ortherwise, all 3 have been good bikes. Current ride is on 05 that I had Dave Clark in St.Louis go over. Can't say that I've lost any sleep worrying about something happening.

#13 ·
JDW said:
Yeah, It's true all machines breakdown. BUT some more than others. Example would be Toyota and Honda's reliability as compared to other cars. So while we have passion for our sport there are expectations from our machines. I was drawn to BMW because of their reputation for reliability. And yes while I enjoy riding the LT I have been very disappointed by BMWs so called legendary reliability.
++++1 very well said.

Roy

#15 ·
2000 K1200LT.....75,000 miles.

One roadside failure, 1 block from my house...shift linkage.
6 dollar part, I installed it no problem.
No other failures...It runs like a top!! I love this bike!!
I have been riding since 1970, and this is the best bike I
have ever owned. I have owned HD, Gold Wings, Triumph, Norton, and BMW.
As far as cost of maintenance, MCN did a comparo a while back, on maintenance costs on an Ultra, Gold Wing, and LT over a 75000 mile period. HD was the most expensive to maintain, the GW next and LT most cost effective. The GW and LT were close, but LT was the cheapest, if memory serves me right..

#17 ·
I have an 02 LT and other than service items no problems just a lot of good times. If you spend your time on web sites for any make you will hear of all the problems and the fixes. It is the old story one unhappy person ever one hears about it. 200 happy people not a sound. Yes BMWs' break and are not perfection and when mine breaks it will get fixed just like every other vehicle I have owned. I do think BMW has made a great bike!

#18 ·
DavidTaylor said:

Machines break.

Wow! What a response... I just love forums. Thank you for passionate feelings, and certainly thank you for not "blasting" me. It is nice to know that I have, maybe, one chance in five of making 100,000 miles without spending thousands of bucks on poorly engineered BMW motorcycle parts.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and my wallet close by.

#19 ·
cfmpilot said:
I read about the catastrophic and expensive failures of the LT on this forum. This leaves me wondering if any of you have owned an LT for many years and miles without major failures. Please tell me yes...[/QUOTE

Have had my 99' for the last 40,000 miles carefree with no problems. Original owner put on 18,000 with no issues at all.

#20 ·
2002 LT
23,000 miles (more picky about riding weather than I was, and can't always ride to work)

(1) dying battery
(1) welded starter relay, due to battery...
(1) set of tires, Metezler
(0) other issues

(1) very happy owner!!!! :D

#21 ·
I've had an 01 and an 05 with approximately 60K between them. So far no major problems. I'm a little older and am a fairly conservative rider. I must admit I have cranked the the throttle a time or two or three or too may times to remember. The biggest issue I have is - work gets in the way of riding!

#24 ·
05' 24k miles on it, only mechanical problem has been a trans out put seal under warranty. Best road bike I have ever owned in 43 yrs of riding.

#25 ·
Sorry, this ain't cuttin' it anymore

DavidTaylor said:

Machines break.

<snip>
David, (& others),
Generally, I tend to agree with everything you said. However, do you think that all of the people who got tired of BMW's BS and switched to 'Wings or FJRs are any less passionate? Could it be that the opposite is true; that they are more passionate, and would rather be riding than repairing their bikes, (or waiting for them to be repaired)?

Why is it that BMW cannot make a motorcycle as reliable as the other brands?

Why is it that BMW ignores serious problems?

I have been a staunch supporter of BMW through all of the bull surrounding the FD failure issue for years, but I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity.

I'm sorry, but just saying "Machines break" and "If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Maybe, instead of just continuing to buy BMWs, enforcing thier crappy attitude, we should all show up at their, (BMWs execs), pool party in Daytona next month and cram a few failed final drives up their asses!

GB

#26 ·
Re: Sorry, this ain't cuttin' it anymore

Man don't hold back on us, tell us how you really feel :histerica

Although I wish every failed FD could be gathered and dumped off a truck in front of one of these events :bmw:

Have every bike rag you can find on hand to document it and then see what the reaction is :eek:

And of course every ruined clutch, slave cylinder, and broken trunk latch too ;)

GBarnes said:
David, (& others),
Generally, I tend to agree with everything you said. However, do you think that all of the people who got tired of BMW's BS and switched to 'Wings or FJRs are any less passionate? Could it be that the opposite is true; that they are more passionate, and would rather be riding than repairing their bikes, (or waiting for them to be repaired)?

Why is it that BMW cannot make a motorcycle as reliable as the other brands?

Why is it that BMW ignores serious problems?

I have been a staunch supporter of BMW through all of the bull surrounding the FD failure issue for years, but I'm beginning to doubt my own sanity.

I'm sorry, but just saying "Machines break" and "If you're passion for motorcycling cannot get you past the fact that motorcycles will have problems, get out of the sport" just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

Maybe, instead of just continuing to buy BMWs, enforcing thier crappy attitude, we should all show up at their, (BMWs execs), pool party in Daytona next month and cram a few failed final drives up their asses!

GB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.