BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this 2000 Lt yesterday in Taipei while visiting the local BMW shop. The sidecar is made in Japan and cost the owner 23K in USD!!! The side car holds 2 pax plus 2 on the bike and the opening to enter is controlled by a fob and manual opening.
He has the only one in Taipei. Does anyone know of any in the US?
They seem to have an active club here but twice the price, for example, a 2012 GS stock is about 43K in USD and bikes are not allowed on Highways, can use express and local only. :bmw:

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Cool. Look at that heavey duty front end (highly modified) and a car tire on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Love the front calipers jutst hanging from the lines.

Wonder if it is still a telelever front end?

·
Registered
19 Posts

Mine ain't quite as fancy, but I picked this 2000 up recently with Motorvation sidecar for less than $9K. Rode to Oktoberfest in Pennsylvania.

VAC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a few more pics showing the tires. You can see the tire size in one pic. Metzler on the front only and all the tires are radials The sidecar is illegal here in Taipei,so the owner has to remove for inspection twice a year as they require inspections twice a year on bikes 10 years and older. A highly modified bike,even has surround sound speakers. I don't know what was done to the front suspension, but very different from what we have.
I will be here until end of October,so maybe I will get a chance to see it again.

Charlie

2006 LT Storm Grey

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
shaioli said:
I came across this 2000 Lt yesterday in Taipei while visiting the local BMW shop. The sidecar is made in Japan and cost the owner 23K in USD!!! The side car holds 2 pax plus 2 on the bike and the opening to enter is controlled by a fob and manual opening.
He has the only one in Taipei. Does anyone know of any in the US?
They seem to have an active club here but twice the price, for example, a 2012 GS stock is about 43K in USD and bikes are not allowed on Highways, can use express and local only. :bmw:
The first picture, I said to myself....hmmmm, that looks like an EZS.......and then I get to the last picture of the last post and what do I see ......and EZS sticker on the front fork.....
There Was a dealer here in Seattle that used to install these....and then the old guy who owned the company (EZS) retired and turned it over to his son, who immediately felt that they deserved a bigger cut of the pie, and the dealer here, after several discussions about things that needed to be changed with the design, finally felt he was banging his head against a wall and gave it up. And that was too bad...they do have a good product and the guy here really knew what he was doing. I know it's gone to somebody else in the area but I really don't think he knows what he's doing. Oh well.

Pat

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know who sell the sidecar for the LT and how much? How difficult to remove the sidecar and go back to 2 wheels.

Charlie

2006 LT Storm Grey (Shalonie) :bmw:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
shaioli said:
Anyone know who sell the sidecar for the LT and how much? How difficult to remove the sidecar and go back to 2 wheels.

Charlie

2006 LT Storm Grey (Shalonie) :bmw:
Hannigan is the best I know of. Not cheap, but you do get the best.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Okay, so the first thing I noticed is that his engine spoiler and skirts are chrome! How did he manage to do that? I am thinking that road debris has gotten the better of mine and I was planning to repaint them this fall but now...

·
Registered
795 Posts
So still thinking about that chrome engine spoiler, anyone ever used this product or a product like it?

I think I might buy a smaller piece and try it out on a piece of trim that was damaged on the wife's grocery-getter to see how it works and the potential for further application. If it works well and looks good imagine the possibilities: chromed stingray, dash, repair saddlebag molding trim, the rear half of the front fender...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Also noticed the rear wheel is not stock either. Hope he enjoys it as I am sure he has mega bucks invested.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Doc Edkin (member here) has a hannigan on his 05 LT that he and wife took to alaska last year. for milage reasons he switched to auto tires all around. They have been all over USA and have several IBA awards as well.

If you can't find him here PM me I have his permission to give out phone #

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
I looked ar getting a EZS before we ended up putting a Hannigan 2+2 on our 2002 K1200LT. The EZS was around twice the price of our Hannigan, but I know it is a lot better set up.

We had a K100/EML GT2 for 14 years before we decided to get a new rig. The EZS would probably run circles around our Hannigan, but I didn't want to spend the extra $8,000.:crybaby:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts