BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally happened to me. I got taken out be two deer this morning. They ran out of the pasture to my left and I didn't have a chance. The first one cleared my nose and clipped my right mirror knocking it off. The second caught the headlight with it's head and the body swung around and hit my wife's leg and took out the sidecase. I made a big "bobble" and held it straight. I stopped down the road about half a mile. My throttle was stuck where the deer cave in the clip that holds the cables under the tupperware. Tupperware was scattered all over the road. I was so happy we didn't go down. We are both OK but the bike is a mess. Now starts the fight with the insurance company. It's an 03 with 75K miles on it. I have full coverage though. I'll find out how good it is now. Ride safe out there....... :D

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
James;
The bike is replaceable...........glad you and the pillion are OK.........B-Safe out there.....

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Holy Moly, James. I'm so glad you guyz are ok, butt that bike makes me think your angel got real busy this morning, after the deer woke her up - thank goodness. Sorry for the upcoming hassle dealing with the insurer - be really nice if they ponied up ed zachery what they should; do it in a timely manner; and get you guyz whole again and ready for the fall weather rides. Kinda what you pay 'em to do!!! ;)

Hey, btw - today is Tejas lottery day. Might be worth an investment of a coupla bucks to see if your lucky streak continues!! :D ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Happy to see that you were able to maintain control of the bike
and that both you and your wife emerged unscathed by the encounter.
Looks like the bike absorbed much of the energy of the collision.
The bike can be repaired or replaced.
That you're still with us and able to continue riding, priceless.

Safe travels.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
WOW........Glad y'all are okay!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Lives are a lot more precious than the bike, glad you both made it through that ordeal ok. What time of the day did this happen?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Unfortunately deer strikes are part of the [potential] penalty we pay for riding bikes. But I've got to say that given the enormous mass of the LT plus rider (and in many cases, passenger), the chances of survival are much better than on a lighter bike. We're all glad to hear you survived and the only damage was to the bike. Bikes can be repaired a lot easier than riders. Good luck with the insurance company. :wave :wave :wave

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Nice riding....glad that the humans won! and good luck with the insurance company. They will push hard initially for depreciated book value..Replacement retail is the goal unless you have declared value. Some pretty good deals out there right now on low mileage 05 and 06's.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. It happened at 7:15 and sunrise was at 7:28. The weight of the bike carried me through the strike and I was lucky the deer didn't hit the front wheel or the handlebars or it could have been bad............ :D ..........I just cleaned out my bags and found my compressor in the bag was busted and so is my bank bag I carry tools in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good job handling the bike!!!
I've seen a few of those that were a whole lot worse. Says a lot for the stability of the LT too. Methinks a lighter bike may have not faired as well. Good luck on the insurance & let everyone know how it comes out.

Bill Rhegness

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Great job riding that out! Both of you were very lucky. How much damage did this do to your SO's leg?

I hope the insurance folks treat you right. I do imagine that they will total this one from all the plastic damage. Do consider buying it back for salvage.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Dude!!! :eek: Not one, but two horned rats!!! Glad it turned out the way it did!
Did your wife get hit hard on the leg? Maybe some bruising will show later, so be sure to take pictures if you need to invoke your medical coverage.
I hope you prevail in your dealing with the bike insurance. :)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Glad it worked out for the best, considering the alternative!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wow, a 2 fer....Amazing! Way to hang on to the bike after taking out 2 deer, Glad you guys are OK....Thank god it wasn't a moose

Attachments

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
It's very good that you're both ok.

Where I live (Rochester Hills, Mi) even though it's a city we have the highest deer collisions in the Detroit metro area. I can't believe how many are running around and there's no hunting (unless you do it with your car or motorcycle :( )

Here's a recent article about it.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100924/NEWS05/9240318/Deer-crashes-up-in-metro-Detroit

"Deer crashes killed 10 people statewide in 2009, the Michigan State Police said. All were on motorcycles."

Ride safe out there.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I am also glad that you are OK. Were you able to ride it back home?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
LT two Deer zero. Glad to here you both are OK. Good on ya keeping it rubber side down especially two up.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am always glad to hear the stories with a happy middle. Great to hear you are OK and didn't go down. Hope the wife is OK. I have a couple of questions though. 1) how's the meat taste? 2) how deep was the seat cover sucked up when you stopped? :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts