BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if the wheels for an RS is the same as an LT?
The sizes are the same, but is the strength of the wheels the same, given
the different weights of the bikes?

Wolf

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Now if you ask BMW, I doubt you'd get a straight answer out of them but here's what I'd do.

Call a BMW dealer and get the part numbers for a set of wheels for a LT. Call another and ask for the part numbers for the wheels for a RS. If they are the same part number, you can be pretty sure they are the same. If not, well, there's your answer. If they are different, I don't have a good way of finding the differences.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Why not call just one dealer and ask them if the part numbers are different?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,114 Posts
The part numbers are different for the K1200RS and the K1200LT front wheels for 1999.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have noticed that the part numbers are different also, but the parts breakdown
look identical.(maxbmw.com) The sizes are the same for both wheels also.
Still wondering what the differences are, and if a RS is used on a LT, what are the repercussions?

Wolf

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
The rear are the same. The front is a different story. First the early brakes have different offset pads for the rotors than the second brakes on the LTs. Also the RS front wheels are lighter and not rated for the LT.

You might find a front RS wheel that fits your LT but I would only use it for a short time spare.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply.
Mine being a 99 LT, would have "the harder to obtain" wheel, of coarse.
Having and loving this bike for 10 years and 125,000 miles, I can not think of another part
that would be so unique to the earlier years.

They say " Patience is a virtue" , but those that want to ride are like a squirrel on caffeine.

Wolf

·
Registered
87 Posts
wolfstudios said:
I have noticed that the part numbers are different also, but the parts breakdown
look identical.(maxbmw.com) The sizes are the same for both wheels also.
Still wondering what the differences are, and if a RS is used on a LT, what are the repercussions?

Wolf
Parts breakdowns are used often by BMW so that they look identical, but part numbers are different. As found above, it is better to rely on part numbers, not pictures.

Regards
Leiboshi

·
Registered
261 Posts
i clearly rember that at the time the 99s were released, the product technical data stated that the wheel wall thicknesses had be increased from the RS specs due to the extra mass and loadings.

check the parts fiche - A&S BMW has one online - if the numbers are different, i wouldn't be willing to bet my life on this.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not the same.

I had a 1999 K12RS. Never checked on the rear, but I can tell you for a fact that the front is different.

I tried once to swap between the RS and the '00 LT I had at the time and the wheels did not fit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I am now resolved not to use an RS front wheel on a LT.

My thanks to this forum and members that can supply information on topics that
the information is next to impossible to locate.

Thanks again,

Wolf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts