BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I might be trading the 3rd LT (99, 04, 08) for a 09 GT. I had a K12S, loved the speed, not to crazy about the handling and ride. LOVE the LT, but miss the speed. I have a r12 GS that lives in its own world and I love being in it.

I can also get a new 08GT for 15k but think I will regret that.

Comments?

Thanks,

Milton

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Go take one for a test ride and see if you like it. I had 3 LTs and have not looked back one second since move to GTs (1200 and 1300). But everyone is different, and the test ride will tell you much more than the opinions you get here.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would say if you do 1 up then go for it. If it is you and the SO then you better take SO for a test drive first.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Make sure you bring your checkbook. Ouch, the GT is pretty pricey just to have extra power and not much else. Local dealer has the showroom floor sticker at 23,400.00 for a loaded one.

Bought my 2005 LT used in perfect condition at 12,000.00. Now that I can justify.

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
What they said. The LT is still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden, and ridden properly, it can embarrass much "sportier" bikes. And for two-up travel, it can't be beat.

But the GT just does everything else so much better. 200 lbs lighter plus an additional 44 HP makes a huge difference here. But if you've had a K12S, then you already know that. :)

As for the K12 or K13 question, it really depends on your budget. If you're counting every dollar, then a near-new '08 GT can be had for a good price. But if $$ isn't your top priority, then go for the K13. All the minor changes really do add up to a much superior ride.

So I echo the others here, take a K13 out for a nice, long test ride, then you'll know for sure. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Gateway BMW in St. Louis gave me a beautiful used 08 GT while my bike was in the shop two weeks ago. Leaving in the morning going out of town was a great ride! Very quick and nimble. Coming back through town during rush hour was equally miserable. The buzzing through the grips put my hands to sleep. I couldn't believe the difference when I got back on my LT. The GT is quick but you feel every MPH. I was running faster on the LT and didn't notice it until I looked at the speedo.

Steve

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all,
Well, I went for a 80 mile test ride on the 09 GT. Great power, great brakes handles great. Does "Buzz" through the handle bars pegs and the tank where it meets your private parts at 5000 RPM and to tell you the truth, other than the electric windscreen, it wasn't much better than my 2005 K12S. I don't know how many times I blew the horn thinking I was using the LH turn signal. Thing I did notice is it skated more than the LT when I was in the wake of a truck.
I did like the TPM and other little factory farkles, but in the end, when I got back on the LT, it was like slipping into a familiar pair of shoes.
I think I will stay with the LT (for now).

Milton
K12LT (with Chrome rims)
R12GS
R100GSPD

·
Premium Member
7,545 Posts
steeler34 said:
Well, I might be trading the 3rd LT (99, 04, 08) for a 09 GT. I had a K12S, loved the speed, not to crazy about the handling and ride. LOVE the LT, but miss the speed. I have a r12 GS that lives in its own world and I love being in it.

I can also get a new 08GT for 15k but think I will regret that.

Comments?

Thanks,

Milton
Wait for the new. more powerful LT ... assuming there will be one! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts