BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a flat this past week along the interstate. Luckily was not hurt and did not crash. I was traveling a little too fast, thats usually when a problem develops and it had to be a rear Metzeler, of course the newer one. However, when evaluating the tire, I could not determine if the noticeable hole in meaty part of tread was the culprit. Nail was out and noticed no bubble with the standard spit test. Thought it might be the stem because that seemed a little loose. My CO2 cartridges did not help and the can of gel-foam nozzle cracked while moving around in the saddle bag this past year.. The bike was flat bedded to a local dealer. A new tire put on because they would not plug it (policy they said though smack center of tread). While they installed, I asked about a valve stem stabilizer. They said that was something they had for all rice burners except the BMW's. Automatic for Goldwings (Honda dealer) and could be ordered for the LT for a small charge. Amazing,, Does anyone know if these things are helpful and why isnt that a standard item for installed tires? It is designed to resist wind from moving the valve stem around at higher speeds.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I have only seen them on angled valve stems, not straight ones. Centrifugal force bends the angled stems in toward the tire at speed, and it lets up when you slow down, causing a back and forth bending action. Straight stems that are aimed straight in toward the axle like the LT ones do not need anything. Wind is not strong enough to bend them. A straight one that is angled outward some can suffer the same bending action as the angled ones, but not as badly.

Best valve stem by far are the metal ones. Some of us scrap the rubber ones and convert to metal ones.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
dshealey said:
Best valve stem by far are the metal ones. Some of us scrap the rubber ones and convert to metal ones.
Plus 1
I had a rubber stem fail & installed steel stems 3 years ago. Never had any problem since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts