BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the more LTs I see, both here and on the road, the greater is my confusion. Seems that every one I've come across has smooth upholstery on the saddle, passenger seat, and backrest. My bike came with a stock saddle and passenger cushion that has ribbing on its face. I'm thinking that, somewhere during its life, the bike had the original seats swapped out (the back pad is still smooth) for these. In fact, since the bike came with a Corbin saddle which had an altogether different pattern, I had my upholsterer re-cover it to match what's on the bike. (See photo).

My question is, when were these seats offered and why?

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Dragonwing said:
So, the more LTs I see, both here and on the road, the greater is my confusion. Seems that every one I've come across has smooth upholstery on the saddle, passenger seat, and backrest. My bike came with a stock saddle and passenger cushion that has ribbing on its face. I'm thinking that, somewhere during its life, the bike had the original seats swapped out (the back pad is still smooth) for these. In fact, since the bike came with a Corbin saddle which had an altogether different pattern, I had my upholsterer re-cover it to match what's on the bike. (See photo).

My question is, when were these seats offered and why?
I've never seen an LT with that pattern to the seat. Early models ('99 thru maybe '04) had a fake 'stitched' pattern that wuz present on the rider's seat, the passenger's seat, and the passenger's backrest. Later models were smooth without the fake stitching. There may have been some other modifications made to the seat patterns, butt I'm not aware of anything except a color option to gray on some model year. Hope someone better schooled on this will jump in. Good luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing 'fake' about this stitching. It is most assuredly sewn into the upholstery of the driver's saddle and the passenger seat. The backrest is plain. Hmmmm. Since mine's an '03, maybe this is stock for the bike and it was the backrest that was switched. Curious, indeed.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Nothing 'fake' about this stitching. It is most assuredly sewn into the upholstery of the driver's saddle and the passenger seat. The backrest is plain. Hmmmm. Since mine's an '03, maybe this is stock for the bike and it was the backrest that was switched. Curious, indeed.
My money would be on the backrest being OEM, and the seat is aftermarket.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've never seen a seat like that on an LT in the 7+ years that I have been paying attention to them. So, I am believing that Dick is correct.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Well, look at it this way- when your butt is on it, nobody can tell the difference. :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
That looks like a Bill Mayer seat.

I your stock seat has fake stitching then it is the BMW "comfort seat".
My '99 had that and it was much better than my stock '03.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me clarify:

1. The photo you see is of a Corbin saddle that came with the bike, along with the stock BMW driver and passenger seats.
2. The stock seats, on the bike at the time of pick-up, both had the ribbing in them.
3. The Corbin saddle had its own pattern, different from the stock seats and different from the back rest, which was plain.
4. I had my upholstery guy duplicate the pattern from the stock seats on the Corbin.
5. The photo of the Corbin was attached for the sole purpose of letting you mugs see what the pattern is that's on the seats on the bike now.
6. I am trying to figure out when and where BMW used this type of upholstery on the LTs.

That being said, maybe these are the 'comfort' seats. Anyone?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you're running right fast, no one will notice it.

I have a '99, and your seat isn't stock.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
brettb10 said:
Front was Corbin. Back was a Russel. Pad is stock

This from the guy who owned the bike. Thanks, Brett. There's a PM awaiting your review.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My '85 GW had that.
The one thing I missed so sorely (pun intended) On my 1985 goldwing of 21 years my backside was never sore. And it was actually ribbed. NO fake stitching. So only the original owner would know. I am now with an Airhawk2 on my smooth '09LT.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts