·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get one? Thanks....... :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put on a gold wing rack I got from wingstuff.com for under $100. that I really like. My wife sometimes needs oxygen and it's handy for carrying a small bottle and pretty darn sturdy and pretty darn pretty to me.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
seahabit said:
+1 on Sayegh, but beemerboneyard also sells them If you want the BMW one.
+2 - Barbara had one of the original runs I assume. I liked it over the OEM because it A) held on to the gear better B) it was not like everyone elses...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have one on Delilah, you can buy the whole bike and I'll throw in the rack. :D

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hey Rattler50, I posted the install of the Goldwing luggage rack I got from Wingstuff for $89 that included the rack bag also...really inexpensive. here is the link for the post..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59993

I have been using it for about a year now, and it works great, and the bag is just the place for my bike cover, rain gear, and misc. crapola that isn't too heavy..(sometimes my laptop has to go in there tho) If money is no object, the harly one with the custom adapters from Paul S. is probably a bigger rack than the OEM, but you still are going to end up with $300+ into it... :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
casualemt.........money is no object. I have all I need as long as I don't have to buy anything.......... :histerica

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
casualemt said:
Hey Rattler50, I posted the install of the Goldwing luggage rack I got from Wingstuff for $89 that included the rack bag also...really inexpensive. here is the link for the post..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59993

I have been using it for about a year now, and it works great, and the bag is just the place for my bike cover, rain gear, and misc. crapola that isn't too heavy..(sometimes my laptop has to go in there tho) If money is no object, the harly one with the custom adapters from Paul S. is probably a bigger rack than the OEM, but you still are going to end up with $300+ into it... :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw: :bmw:
Looking at your pics, my first though is: what will the upturned part of the rack do to the head of my 9 year old passenger in the event of a rear-ending? On a Goldwing, that part of the rack is flush with the passenger backrest.

·
Registered
683 Posts
While I can appreciate that you have concerns about what will happen to a 9 year old passenger if someone slams into the rear of your bike, I would highly doubt that the luggage rack would be of any greater concern than being launched into blacktop oblivion. I guess I can see what you might be referring to the rack being flush on the goldwing. It is really more of the back rest sticks up so much further than the lid of the trunk. On the BMW if your passenger were wearing a helmet, it might actually act more like a head rest in a car, in fact you might even be inclined to apply foam on it to cushion it more for that purpose whereas the goldwing you wouldn't have that wonderful feature..
here is a photo of the same rack on the back of my old 2002 goldwing

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
amindtat said:
Looking at your pics, my first though is: what will the upturned part of the rack do to the head of my 9 year old passenger in the event of a rear-ending? On a Goldwing, that part of the rack is flush with the passenger backrest.
Not sure about that, but I'd suggest anyone considering a GW rack vs. a HD for their KLT to search around for pics of both mounted on the KLT. The HD rack just seems to follow the lines of the KLT topbox and look better, but that's just my opinion.

I can tell you that Paul S's HD rack adaptation with his custom machined feet is rugged and functional. I've had one for over ten years and 85K miles, had it loaded with 20-30lbs of camping gear, banging over pot holed New England roads and no cracks, breaks, or other problems with either the rack or the top case.

other options: There is an aftermarket rack that uses the BMW mounting pattern for the BMW rack, if someone already has the BMW holes drilled that'd be a good option. I think the OEM rack is sort of a joke if you really intend to use the rack for luggage.

disclaimer: No affiliation, just pleased with my purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts