BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my engine and FD oil every 6K. I use Red Line Syn for all (including trans.). This is NOT an oil type thread.

I do my transmission every 12K. Anyone do it more often, or does "Our Panel Of Distinguished Experts" think that every 12K is good enough??

·
Registered
712 Posts
I change my oils (all of them) on my RT at 3000 miles. My LT is under warenty, so I follow the OEM schedule for that, but when it changes I will do the same for it as my RT.

Oil is cheap! I see no reason not to change it frequently and use that opportunity to check the status of the engine, transmission, and FD. I will also take advantage of Blackstone Labs to test my oils every other change (or more frequently if I think a problem may be developing) so I have a better understanding of what may be going on inside. :)

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
FD, before and after every big trip
The rest as BMW advise or if I happen to have stripped it down

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
hallzee said:
...I do my transmission every 12K. Anyone do it more often, or does "Our Panel Of Distinguished Experts" think that every 12K is good enough??
I believe you're on the right track, or maybe just a bit cautious. :) The published, BMW LT Maintenance Schedule suggests changing the trans fluid 'At least every 2 years'...with an inspection at 12,000 miles.

As I live in a state that has hot summers and cold winters, and the potential for more moisture build-up, I change it every year; Usually in late winter or early Spring.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Synthetic Engine oil and fortified Chevron RPM synthetic gear oil in diff every 6K miles. Tranny with same RPM oil every 12K.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
All lube changes according to BMW service book. No exceptions.

Edited to add:
I change my final drive BEARING every 40K miles. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Engine oil and filter, the FD fluid, and the tranny fluid get changed between 3,000 and 3,500 miles... Its cheap and good for the bike...

Also due brake flush every 2 years and radiator every 4 years,, with new cap,, and hoses as needed.............Pete

·
Registered
293 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I change my oils (all of them) on my RT at 3000 miles. My LT is under warenty, so I follow the OEM schedule for that, but when it changes I will do the same for it as my RT.

Oil is cheap! I see no reason not to change it frequently and use that opportunity to check the status of the engine, transmission, and FD. I will also take advantage of Blackstone Labs to test my oils every other change (or more frequently if I think a problem may be developing) so I have a better understanding of what may be going on inside. :)
Sorry but I have to ask... are you saying once your warranty is expired on the LT you will change the fluids more often? How would changing more often then required effect your warranty? I agree the more the fluids are changed the better, although I have no problem changing at the recommend times with the quality of oils today.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Now that I doscovered the new oil I use on my engine, (RP) I will change it maybe every 3-4 years. But I dont drive more then 3-7k miles a year.

If I get same kind a product for my tranny and fd I will change the tranny oil maybe same schedule as above while I will do the FD every year.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I run synthetics, so every 10,000 on all. Easy to remember, just change them all. No troubles after 106k.

Zeke

·
Registered
712 Posts
SCltc said:
Sorry but I have to ask... are you saying once your warranty is expired on the LT you will change the fluids more often? How would changing more often then required effect your warranty?.
It would not change the warrenty at all, but while it is under the factory warrenty I do not see the need to monitor it that closely. While it is under the extended warrenty, and out of factory warrenty, I will want to pay closer attention to it so I can get it fixed (if needed) under the extended warrenty without leaving me stranded somewhere. That's where the lab results, documentation, etc. will come in as I will use that information to show an impending failure prior to it occuirng and see if I can get it fixed.

I will of course also check out the FD before my factory warrenty expires, but doubt I'll have a problem at that time. Too few miles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Engine Oil every 3000-4000 and tranny and FD every 8000-10000 with Red Line depending where the trips fall. 50,000 milesno problems. Let me go find some wood now. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
I run synthetic's and Change it every 6k on the engine and every 3k on the FD (cautious) and the transmission every 12k or Winter whichever comes first.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and did the FD with my engine today (always run Red Line Syn) after 6K. Came out of FD looking like brand new oil again (knocking on wood). No crap to speak of on the drain plug magnet. I'll keep doing the tranny at 12K.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was sticking with the 2 year schedule for my tranny until I got the results of the oil analysis which showed my oil was no longer servicable. I'm now going to change every year.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll still end up doing the tranny within (probably about 18 months) the two year service range, due to usage of the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts