BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded my LT for a 2008 HD Ultra today.
The Lt is/has been an incredible ride and I would suggest it to any-one looking for the ultimate touring bike.
I thought it was time for a change and I was impressed with the recent improvements on the HD - ABS Brakes, cable-less throttle, built-in intercom with factory PTT,etc. - a long way from the Duo-Glide I rode in the 60's.
I hope that BMW can strengthen it's dealer network, as this was one of my main concerns with the brand and a deciding factor in making a trade.
Thank-you to the members of this group who have provided superb advise, direction and friendship for the last 6 years. I hope to see you "on the road" and you can rest assured that I will be giving you a hearty wave.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
New Bike

Congrats on your new bike. I know you'll enjoy it. I liked your flamed out Beemer. Looked great. I checked out your club photos. I noticed several Suzuki LC1500's and Boulevards. Those are great bikes also. I owned an '02 LC1500 and loved the bike. Hope to make it up your way some day. Ride safe......... :D

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
That's the only Harley I have ever been tempted by. Problem for me is the chrome - all the time shining it is wasted riding time!
Good luck

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well....

Hate to see one of our own go to the dark side. but like they say.....

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am sure you will enjoy your new ride. I also have a Ultra. I have owned Harleys for over 40 years and the one thing I will miss when I sell my Ultra this Spring is....the low end rumble. You can't get that with a BMW!
There was something fun and adventerous about the old Harleys. I had to have the Magneto in just the right position and 2 twists of the throttle and ...Kick! If she didn't start...go have another beer. Then try again! Those days are gone and with it the adventure.
After trying a friends LT this last year...I went directly out and purchased one.

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

GolfGuy :bmw:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Roy,

Congrats on the new bike! Did you buy it at the bike show last weekend? Hope you got a good trade in on the LT. Are you still going to be involved in the Motorcycle ride for Dad this year?

Ken

·
Registered
256 Posts
A day on any bike beats any day at the office.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and have many safe miles with her. I see you went for the new anniversary colors. NICE!!!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey Roy, what a surprise! Oh well, we all have our dark moments...:p

No no, just kidding!:D Nice bike but your LT's flame job beats this HD color hands down.
Good luck with your new ride and I am bold enough to invite myself to visit you again sometime in 2011 or 2012..Let's see what we will be riding then.:)

Greetings to sis as well!

Regards

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thinking about trading my LT too. I have enjoyed my LT but it reminds me of the stories i have heard about the old Harleys leaking oil. Oil leak around cam cover, oil leak from rear main , and oil leaking from final drive, plus shocks at 27,000 miles all out of warranty. I bought my LT with BMW's reputation for quality in mind. To say the least I am sadly disappointed. Thinking I might see a rice burner in my future.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Enjoy the Ultra, I love mine. Loved the LT also, but lease was up and time for a change. I always had harleys, but in 2002 they got crazy with their pricing. After the LT lease was up I didn't want the same bike, knowing in a year or so the new improved LT might be out. I missed my Electra Glide anyway. The LT was fantastic, but lacks soul and a REAL dealer network. If the new LT is nice, I'll get another, ussually have 2 bikes anyway...Doesn't everyone?

·
Registered
807 Posts
LT to HD

Good looking HD. Hope it provides many miles of safe service for you. When I sold my LT and got the GT I went for more power and less weight. Guess you went for more noise and vibration?:histerica

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
JDW said:
Thinking about trading my LT too. I have enjoyed my LT but it reminds me of the stories i have heard about the old Harleys leaking oil. Oil leak around cam cover, oil leak from rear main , and oil leaking from final drive, plus shocks at 27,000 miles all out of warranty. I bought my LT with BMW's reputation for quality in mind. To say the least I am sadly disappointed. Thinking I might see a rice burner in my future.
Pan & Shovelheads leaked, EVO's a little at the rockers (solved with better gaskets), but Twin Cam 88 & 96's rarely leak. I have said this before and will say it again...you can't truly compare the 2 (LT & EG) both tourers, but different. Enjoy each for what they are. The Harley has Soul, not found in any Metrics and a Dealer network second to none. Have a problem with a dealer, another is not far away. Oh, and the T-Shirts are better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
105th Anniversary Edition

Nice ride. If I pass you on the Highway One, I'll wave back. :D

What did you do with the LT?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hd....

Congrats... :rolleyes:

I did same thing almost 4 years ago and have now gone back to my old LT.

Did it, enjoyed it, got it out of my system and returned wondering why I left :eek:

Whatever your reasons, enjoy the ride...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts