BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at putting on some new tires. Any recommendations??..Got a set of metz' set aside and will have them put on on Friday

Anybody have the ABS system fail??. I have a fault in mine and hope it isn't anything serious.

Hbar

·
Registered
878 Posts
What are the symptoms of your ABS failure?:confused:

·
Registered
208 Posts
abs failure

Found that some times holding the break while the test is being done could trigger the flashing ABS brakes. Not sure if this is your scenario or not.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
astuber said:
What are the symptoms of your ABS failure?:confused:
Al
break failure lights start flashing back and forth. Bike has a new battery, break fluid on the handlebar..and i couldn't find a resevoir around the rear, right saddle bag. Riders manual shows there should be a resevoir around the saddlebag and I just dont see it. LT is an 03. Dealership in Sturgis will look at it but i hope they dont have to order parts cuz then I'm screwed.

Hbar

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
My 05 came with Metzlers and I liked them, especially for wet roads. My 06 came with Bridgestones and they seem to have a better ride, do just as well on wet roads, and I have been told they don't get the 880 howl.

·
Registered
208 Posts
new battery

Handlebar said:
Al
break failure lights start flashing back and forth. Bike has a new battery, break fluid on the handlebar..and i couldn't find a resevoir around the rear, right saddle bag. Riders manual shows there should be a resevoir around the saddlebag and I just dont see it. LT is an 03. Dealership in Sturgis will look at it but i hope they dont have to order parts cuz then I'm screwed.

Hbar
I once had a new battery from cascade bmw that was new, but could not handle a load charge after a day. Go figure.then WHAMO next I had the stuck starter relay on my past '99. Could have been a friday night battery.

I also have the flashing abs brake lights.. Mine is intermittent. Thinking brake pad have worn down and the fluid is down, since this seems to happen when I start the scoot on the center stand. I replaced the batter y(pc680) for about 80$ including right angle bracket. Next step will be to replace the pads, later this week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
worn brakepads??..hmm..do you know if there is a resevoir somewhere around the right rear saddlebag?? wonder if a dealer's compute will tell them exactly what's causing the ABS fault or faults..

this bike has 11,700 miles on it. I would't think the pads are the problem..

Hbar

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hbar,
This is a fairly typical symptom of low brake fluid. I typically have to add fluid once a year to compensate for the pad wear. Mine usually shows up when the temperature drops significantly in the fall.

The reservoir is located on the right side behind where the front of the right case meets the side fairing. You will need to remove the 3 bolts in the right passenger foot peg plate and 5 torx screws in fairing piece. I also moved the passenger seat out of the way (only 2 bolts holding it in place). It is a lot easier to do than it is to explain.

You should then be able to see the reservoir-note that it has 2 seperate chambers in the same housing. The fluid needs to be at the very top of the max line. I had to add fluid yesterday and it took me about a half hour from start to finish.

HTH

·
Registered
467 Posts
Handlebar said:
worn brakepads??..hmm..do you know if there is a resevoir somewhere around the right rear saddlebag?? wonder if a dealer's compute will tell them exactly what's causing the ABS fault or faults..

this bike has 11,700 miles on it. I would't think the pads are the problem..

Hbar
As stated, low fluid level is a symptom of brake pad wear. For what little it takes, find the time to check the pad thickness. Only takes a few minutes and it doesn't cost anything. Some of us here only get 10-15k out of a set of rear pads. (Might just save you a rotor replacement.) If pads are good, add fluid and "just ride it."

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
ABS fault...I'm betting on low fluid. All it takes is just an ounce or two low and you'll get the disco lights. And this does not necessarily mean your pads are "done".

Tires...stick with the Metzelers, or try the Bridgestone BiasPly. Just stay away from the B'Stone Radials. They suck!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx Alan... I found the resevoir and added a little..bingo..no mo lights..I'll put a few more miles on to be sure.

Thx again

Hbar

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yo Jo

Yup, looks like the rear resevoir was a little low..no mo disco lites right now..lol..damn, i remember the old disco sucks t-shirt I used to have..lolol

And the Metzelers are going on..

thx again, you folks were helpful to me today and I appreciate it..

Handlebar

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I agree stick with Metz. I.m on my 2nd set ang about to get 3rd. great wear and traction :cool:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Handlebar said:
Yo Jo

Yup, looks like the rear resevoir was a little low..no mo disco lites right now..lol..damn, i remember the old disco sucks t-shirt I used to have..lolol

And the Metzelers are going on..

thx again, you folks were helpful to me today and I appreciate it..

Handlebar
No problem...
Here's a little food for thought regarding the Metzelers. I (and a friend on this forum) experimented with tire pressures a great deal with the Metzelers and found that higher pressures resulted in amazing tire wear...both in mileage and a nice ever wear pattern. We ran approx. 51psi rear (cold) and 45psi front (cold), and checked the pressures religiously. These pressures also helped alleviate the growling that you get with Metzelers in the twisties. You won't be sorry if you run at the pressures. They sound high, and some people will look at ya funny when you tell them...but so what? It works. Trust me. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts