BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening all! been a while since I posted.

I would like to know approximately how long it would take a novice mechanic like myself to replace my Throttle Cables on my 2001 LT. I already have the bike apart for a complete fluid change. Tank is off already.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I'm pretty sure that there are several threads on this. Search is powerful. Maybe even at th bottom of this message in simular threads.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
On the lower end (on the throttle body), a looong pair of hemo's will help you get in there and insert the cable ends, and not have to remove the fuel rail (as the manual directs). Like Dan said above, lots of threads on this.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Dave Dragon has a "How Too" on doing the grip area parts swap which speeds things up a BUNCH .... get some long hemostats and a good flashlight so you can fiddle the cables into the actuator wheel your looking maybe an hour or so.

·
Registered
478 Posts
hi sounds like you are already more than half way there. with tank off i would say not more than a couple of hours. dont forget to modifie the handel bar cover before you start
& route the cables through the hole right away !. speaking from experience lol it sucks to do it later. it was the first major work i did on mine.you wont regret it

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is truly a timely topic...The throttle cable on my '03 LT broke in rush hour traffic in Atlanta on Friday while I was on my way to the dealer for a new rear tire. Lucky for me, I was able to get the bike in a parking lot nearby. I decided to let the dealer take care of it...

·
Registered
131 Posts
You're in Ohio with 2 feet of snow left. Do your self a favor and pull the airbox and get a good look at the whole thing. It's a good time to replace the crankcase breather hose and replace your fuel lines. While your at it, check your exhaust manifold and pull your fuel pump to make sure your fuel lines are tight. Never mind, just replace those also and put on some real clamps. Now that I think of it, service your shift linkage. It would be a shame to have a nice easy throttle and a stiff linkage. Make sure you clean and lube under the throttle grip. Make sure your throttle body clamps don't interfere with full throttle movement.

Have fun,

John

·
Registered
52 Posts
I found the part numbers for the throttle cable replacement in an older thread. Just wondering if these numbers remain the same. Chicago BMW appears the best place to order from? I have a Y2K seriously in need of the upgrade.

Part Numbers:
32.73.7.694.490 Throttle
32.73.7.694.491 Acc cable
32.72.7.691.990 Rep.Kit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts