BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if my speedometer is truly as inaccurate as my GPS and the general flow of intestate traffic show it to be, my odometer that reads 20,000 miles is more accurately assumed to read approximately 18,000 miles. Does this seem to be the case for any other LT owners? I have a 2003, and have just been curious to know if it's wishful thinking, or a known fact for the touring beauty. If so, I am also interested in learning how to make the adjustment to the speedometer to reflect a more accurate read. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
So if my speedometer is truly as inaccurate as my GPS and the general flow of intestate traffic show it to be, my odometer that reads 20,000 miles is more accurately assumed to read approximately 18,000 miles. Does this seem to be the case for any other LT owners? I have a 2003, and have just been curious to know if it's wishful thinking, or a known fact for the touring beauty. If so, I am also interested in learning how to make the adjustment to the speedometer to reflect a more accurate read. Thanks!
These are time honored questions:

Click on "Technical" on the above bar, then "FAQ", look for "common issues",

You will find: "My speedometer is way off. Is there any way to fix it? " and
"So, are my odometer and trip computer (BC) also way off? "

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=k1200lt_faq_common#faq_k1200lt_faq_speedo

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=k1200lt_faq_common#faq_k1200lt_faq_odometer

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Set your cruise on 65 and zero out your average speed on the computer and you'll see it's about 5 mph fast. Both of mine have been that way.......:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks kindly for the information. Sorry to ask of a subject that is probably been beat to death by now. I will do searches more thoroughly prior to writing next time. Thanks again,John

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Thanks kindly for the information. Sorry to ask of a subject that is probably been beat to death by now. I will do searches more thoroughly prior to writing next time. Thanks again,John
Yeah, don't worry. Lots of "old guard" around here willing to help.

I did the speedo modification on my 2000 70K+ miles ago. It takes a little time to get in there, and you need basic soldering skills but it is a nice fix.

I think with the 2005 models things changed and that speed mod does not apply. However, I believe it is a good fix for your 2003.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It was once said on here, although the needle is fast the mileage is correct but I have never bothered to test out the rumour. not much point really you wont get any more money for it cause it's done less milage, and your mpg will be worse, two things I don't want to know :p

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The odometer mileage and the speed are taken from the same output sensor, but are electronically separated in the unit. Thus, your speedo is inaccurate by design and your odometer is accurate by design. They are not mechanically linked like the old cable driven systems. Most motorcycle builders design in a five to ten percent error in the speedometers. I presume this is for liability reasons.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Most motorcycle builders design in a five to ten percent error in the speedometers. I presume this is for liability reasons.
This is something I just don't understand as to why they do that.
I know my 2004 build (2005 model) K12LT is around 5% off on the speedo, reading high, and always use the GPS as the accurate gauge.
When I bought the K12GT (2004 build/2005 model) I expected it to have the same error, and rode it like it was... until I fitted the GPS and discovered its speedo is for all intent and purpose spot-on correct! I had to slow down a little while commuting after that :mad: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The odometer mileage and the speed are taken from the same output sensor, but are electronically separated in the unit. Thus, your speedo is inaccurate by design and your odometer is accurate by design. They are not mechanically linked like the old cable driven systems. Most motorcycle builders design in a five to ten percent error in the speedometers. I presume this is for liability reasons.
Dean, my cars are accurate (except for the ones with oversize tires) so how can this possibly be a liability issue? I think it is more a propaganda issue with perceived performance rather than measured performance being the factor.

Robert

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I first got My LT, the speedo was reading about 10% high.
I did the time honored speedo mod, & now it reads within +/- 1 mph compared to gps.
The trip & odo however, have always read approx 4% high.

·
Registered
795 Posts
My spedo on both the LT and C are about 10% 'optimistic', however when riding on highways I have regularly checked miles on the ODO/trip with mile markers and found both bikes to be right on the mark.

I was thinking that my ODO was reading more miles than I was accumulating like the OP and that BMW engineered this so that you would come back for service sooner and in shorter intervals (think about it, a 12,000 mi service would be at 10,800 mi etc.).

Someday I plan to do the mod, but for now I just factor in ~10% and then add another 10% for good measure:bike:

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
371 Posts
My Canadian speedometer compared to the Garmin is between 3 and 5 kph out. Question, is it worth doing the speedo mod or just leave well alone? Thanks

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
My Canadian speedometer compared to the Garmin is between 3 and 5 kph out. Question, is it worth doing the speedo mod or just leave well alone? Thanks
I would not worry about it, but if you really want to tear into the dash and take care of it, all you have to do is"pop" the needle off and move it a little. No electrical mods are necessary.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
There is no speedo mod for the 05 and up bikes. The only thing you can do is open up the dash unit and move the needle on the shaft. Not worth it in my book.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks lads, I was expecting to replace resistors to get it accurate. If I have to move the needle I ain't gonna bother. Have big fat fingers and shacky hands. Would probably end up spoiling it more than it is. Much appreciate you all out their and the advice continually being offered.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks lads, I was expecting to replace resistors to get it accurate. If I have to move the needle I ain't gonna bother. Have big fat fingers and shacky hands. Would probably end up spoiling it more than it is. Much appreciate you all out their and the advice continually being offered.
All motorcycle speedos are out approx 10 percent which nobody noticed until GPS came along which are mostly used on large touring bikes. The odometer in cars and on bikes are required to be accurate by law at least in Canada and I am assuming the US as well
My Yamaha and my sons Kawi and R1 are the same as my LT, out 10 percent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts