BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am planning a coast-to-coast trip in July and need your advice on tools and parts. I am new to LT, and, of course, my 2006LT came without any tools at all (well, a screwdriver was included, very generous of BMW...). The bike is brand new, I will only have about 2500-3000 miles on it by the time i start coast to coast.

So, questions:

I. What is a necessary minimum of LT-specific tools i must have with me to deal with typical LT hickups? I don't want to carry full sets of wrenches, etc.

II. Since my bike is new, what in your experience are the first minor things to fail? What spare parts will it be wise to carry on a long trip for minor repairs?

Thank you,
Andre

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
TPE3B said:
Hi All,

I am planning a coast-to-coast trip in July and need your advice on tools and parts. I am new to LT, and, of course, my 2006LT came without any tools at all (well, a screwdriver was included, very generous of BMW...). The bike is brand new, I will only have about 2500-3000 miles on it by the time i start coast to coast.

So, questions:

I. What is a necessary minimum of LT-specific tools i must have with me to deal with typical LT hickups? I don't want to carry full sets of wrenches, etc.

II. Since my bike is new, what in your experience are the first minor things to fail? What spare parts will it be wise to carry on a long trip for minor repairs?

Thank you,
Andre
Hi, Andre - check THIS thread out for a discussion on tool suggestions. It wuz started back in February, I think.

BTW - you can also find previous threads/posts on like subject matter by scrolling down below your post and seeing the several thread titles that point to your interest. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Cheap tire plug kit & mini 12 volt air comp. I really don't see a need for any tools, maybe spare fuses.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Bare minimum

At least a set of allen wrenches (metric of course) and a Torx-25 screwdriver. That is what you will need to remove any of the fairing pieces and work on just about anything. Perhaps add a convertible screwdriver (flat + Phillips).
A set of pliers wouldn't hurt either, nor would a few open wrenches (10, 12, 13, 15, 17). I almost forgot... the wrench needed to remove the rear wheel (in case you have a flat that cannot be repaired on site), it is part of the standard toll kit that you didn't get... :( .
All this should fit in a little bag that you can tie inside the left side panier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts