BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have an 06 LT and my front speakers have blown. I'm looking to replace/upgrade them. 1st question: Do you have any recommendations on what manufacture to use for replacement/upgrade. 2nd question: How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Smoove,

Sgt-At-Arms
Buffalo Soldiers M/C of Floride (Mother Chapter, Tampa)

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Smuuve said:
Greetings,

I have an 06 LT and my front speakers have blown. I'm looking to replace/upgrade them. 1st question: Do you have any recommendations on what manufacture to use for replacement/upgrade. 2nd question: How hard is it to replace them?

Thanks and keep the rubber side down!

Smoove,

Sgt-At-Arms
Buffalo Soldiers M/C of Floride (Mother Chapter, Tampa)
Smoove,
These are recent posts by Petevandyke. They give the eBay source (I purchased two sets), the disassembly sequence and reassembly. It's one of my winter projects. :D

Clickity-Click 1

Clickity-Click 2

Clickity-Click 3

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just got the speakers suggested by Peter Vandyke- the Alpine SPS-13C2 5.25" (175 watt) for the rear trunk box

Awesome sound, a perfect fit for the rear.

My front speakers are still stock, and a lot harder to get to than the rear speakers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I replaced my front speakers with Pioneer 5 1/4" Model # TS-G1342R which I got at Walmart for right at $40. Had to round out the speaker hole for the Pioneer to fit, but it didn't take long with a dremel tool. Used two of the ears on the speaker with a flat washer to hold them in place. Broke off the other two ears. They work good so far.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I looked at several speakers (as possible future replacements) but decided the only ones that would work for me were the Polk component speakers sold by Crutchfield. I decided that because the Polk speakers are marine rated so will not be destroyed if I wash the motorcycle or get caught in the rain. Plus the stock speakers are also component speakers.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I followed Pete VanDyke's lead and replaced my factory speakers with the Alpines on my '04 LT. It has sat in the rain all day and the bike has been washed many times since installation. No problems with water intrusion. You can also leave the OEM "tweeters" in the LT and add the Alpines as the main speaker replacement. Great sound, a little work to get them in (especially the fronts, which, BTW, has a great drainage system) and well worth the cost and effort.

·
Registered
506 Posts
ArthurKnowles said:
I looked at several speakers (as possible future replacements) but decided the only ones that would work for me were the Polk component speakers sold by Crutchfield. I decided that because the Polk speakers are marine rated so will not be destroyed if I wash the motorcycle or get caught in the rain. Plus the stock speakers are also component speakers.
I am looking at replacing mine with the Polk Audio DB5251. Is this what you used? and if so, how did it work out for you?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
rdepas said:
I am looking at replacing mine with the Polk Audio DB5251. Is this what you used? and if so, how did it work out for you?
Hi, Richard - this thread is several years old and Arthur K. hasn't been on the site for a year or so. You may get a response from some of the other folks that participated in this thread, who are still active on the forums. Good luck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Was hoping he would still be subscribed and would get an email.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Dick said:
Hi, Richard - this thread is several years old and Arthur K. hasn't been on the site for a year or so. You may get a response from some of the other folks that participated in this thread, who are still active on the forums. Good luck.
I sent him a PM and he got back to me. Said the Polk speakers needed a little mod to fit (expected with any after market speaker) but sounded great. Think I will take the plunge and try them. Plan on having my radio repaired by Baris in the winter as well so I think I will have a great winter project on my hands.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts