1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this ought to ignite a few sparks in some of you. :histerica

Which spark plug have you found to work the best in the LT's? :thumb:

Maybe which is best for earlier models 99-2004 and then 2005 on ? :deal:

There are so many to chose from. How about for mileage ?
engine temp? Power? :bike:

So knowing that opinions are like throttle cables, everybody has their own set, what do you guys think?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts

This isn't going to end well...

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The first time I changed the plugs I bought two head gaskets and two plugs--force of habit.
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
KIC,
this kind of depends on how much you want to spend.

No Good Kind are usually the least expensive.

Bosch is factory recommended.

Platinum tipped triple points most money.

Kind of like oil use what you want or can find.

Roy

·
Registered
797 Posts
The best I have used so far are the Splitfires suggested by David Shealy some time ago. I have tried others but like these the best. Thanks again David.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Split Fire

Well,

I'm not a troll (except in appearance :D).

I bought the triple Platinum Split Fire plugs. I've been running them for a 4 or 5 months. I bought them cause I'm hoping them to be the last set I'll need.

Since I don't have a dyno (although it's on my wish list) I really can't say how much more "like a raped ape" my LT performs.

I've never had a problem with temperature and still don't. My mpg's are more a function of my right wrist than my plugs.

My advice is to get something that should be 100K. Platinum tipped.

Unless of course, 100K is something like 100 years :rotf:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lnowell said:
The best I have used so far are the Splitfires suggested by David Shealy some time ago. I have tried others but like these the best. Thanks again David.
So why do you like them? What difference did they make in your bike? The cost really doesn't matter since there are only 4.

Also, how often have you guys changed your plugs?

The dealer put XR7's in mine a year ago at my 12K service. I was thinking of putting some of the higher end ones in, put thought I would ask the professors here at the BMW Institute of Higher Learning.

Plus, I'm tired of the oil wars and thought this would be a fresh one to start. :D

P.S. Ted... your little one looks just like her/his/it's daddy ! :histerica

·
Registered
797 Posts
IIRC the Splitfires cost less than OEM. My MPGs have always been good except during the time my fuel line was leaking - 48 -51. The main change I noticed was the much stronger pull, especially in 4th (for some reason) from 2000 to 6000 rpm +++. This is just seat of the pants feel. I have absolutely no test data of any kind to back it up.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
KIC said:
P.S. Ted... your little one looks just like her/his/it's daddy ! :histerica
Dead Sexy eh???:)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Anyone using Iridiums?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
lnowell said:
Yup, me too! I put my first set in at about 8,000 miles...I got bored and replaced them at 35,000...just to see what was up! They were nice and dusty brown and I tossed 'em...I put in new Splitfires.

I won't make that mistake again, these babies will go the distance.

Benefits you ask? Other than extraordinary life, I do believe the bike runs a bit smoother and my mileage did increase over OEM plugs. YMMV. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ted Shred said:
Dead Sexy eh???:)
No.. just heard you and the picture were anatomically identical. :D

Just a rumor though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Put in Iridiums at 12K, now at @ 40K without issue.

I only changed out the O.E.M. plugs because of factory recomendations, original plugs at 12K showed little to no wear at all. O'well.

Likely the Iridiums will be in the holes for MANY more miles :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what splitfire plug number do you use? Sounds like the way I will go. thanks for the info.

Bill

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I'm with Averill on this one. On Red Rover I switched to Splitfire's at around 42K miles. They were still in the bike when I totaled it in September at 124K. No wear and just a nice brown dusting. Avg MPG 42-46.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
KIC said:
So, I read the other thread. Now my question for you Splitfire Gurus, did you have to adjust the gap as stated in that thread? And..if so.to what? :confused:

Thanks for the info.

Bill

Bill,

From my research, the plug really can't be gapped. The concern was over the platinum cracking (or some such risk).

I just used the plug gapped from the box. It works fine.

Go for it !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts