BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an LT 2002, I'm experiencing a strange noise when the bike has the engine running on its side or center stand and I apply the brakes using the foot or hand brake levers. This strange noise comes from something close to the foot brake pedal and sounds like something as an electric motor starts to run, also I noticed the headlight dims as well the engine idle RPM decreases when the brakes are applied. The noise and the other two symtoms desapear when brakes are released.
Does anyone have had experienced the same?

Thanks
PJMATZ
2002 K12LT

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'm a newbie and can answer this!!! I can answer because I had the same question about my '02 K1200LT-E.

It should be the servos for the brakes. But then of course it could be something else without actually hearing it to see if it's what I heard.

Chris

·
Registered
475 Posts
You might see a very very slight decrease in RPM and dimming headlights, if it's anything more than that, check your battery/alternator.

As for the sound, that's standard on all LT's with the servo-assisted breaks. When the ignition is off you won't here the sound, as the servo-assisted breaks are off. Servo-assisted breaks make it much easier to stop, very similar to power breaks in car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying.
i'm a newer LT owner and I thought it was what you described, now you made it clear.
Also it's my first bike with a good windshield so riding the bike I can rear a lot more of its own noises than before when the only thing I used to hear was wind noise. one thing called my attention is the "famous" wining transmission and or final drive noise everyone refers to. It sounds like a truck bad rear axle(differential) noise.
As someone indicated, changing the regular transmission oil to a syntetic oil would help to reduce noise, I did but didn't help. My LT is a 2002 with 13,000 miles.
Any tip on this issue?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ride faster :D

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
For the time being, load up the CD changer with enjoyable CDs, turn the volume UP and enjoy Fall WX.

I have the 2000 with the cass (cass!? Hard to believe that people used them!), and loaded an MP3 with 500 songs I rate 5 stars. I turn the MP3 on, insert the cass adapter, and only have to adjust the volume once.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts