BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front shock on my '00 LT has failed (I know-big surprise)
Has anyone ever looked into the GT front shock as a replacement? They look exactly the same. Is the spring on the LT heavier duty? Anyone ever put them side by side?

Not being cheap, trying to save money..............

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have done that. I didn't compair the two, but the ride was better than the bad LT shock.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
BigBadBaz said:
Has anyone ever looked into the GT front shock as a replacement? They look exactly the same. Is the spring on the LT heavier duty? Anyone ever put them side by side?

Send a PM to Hoss (shoswell), he may have a used one that he can sell you. He has a "spare parts LT". I don't know if shipping parts between "friends" up into Canada will cause any pain with customs.

If he doesn't have one, give Beemer Boneyard a look.

·
Registered
832 Posts
BigBadBaz said:

"00" LT.........currently 2011. Is that bad?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
kk610lt said:
If you were to have a set of Ohlins or Wilbers, or any premium shock installed you would think you were on a NEW BIKE! Yes, REALLY!

After my rear shock failed on a western state epic ride, the dealer installed an Ohlins. The bike felt like new. And, the ride quality was much better than the stock shock.

If your bike is paid for, and you still love it, look into aftermarket shocks. Its a worthwhile investment. And, they are rebuildable.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I have to agree with the previous post. I replaced my stock shocks at approximately 40,000 miles with Ohlins. I have read before how much of a difference they make on the LT, but frankly I was skeptical. A friend of mine and I installed the new Ohlins, and I couldn't believe how different a ride it was. I really is like riding a new bike. An 800 lb sports bike. I would seriously look into them despite the cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kk610lt said:

It's not bad I guess. I have only had the bike a year and I suspect that the shock was blown a LONG time ago. The guy I bought it from wasn't exactly "Mr maintenance"
and when you are riding a 900 lb bike for the first time before buying, it's hard to diagnose some of the finer points of the riding qualities as wrong or right, especially given the rose coloured glasses we all wear when treating ourselves to something exotic.

My fault. Not blaming the manufacturer. Just looking for alternatives to blowing 1600 bucks on a bike that I can only ride 5 months of the year in Canada, and is worth maybe 5-6000 dollars total.

God, in the cold light of day, doing the math is depressing. :histerica

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought used low mileage shocks and replaced the springs on them with Hyper Pro. I think it's a combination of weak springs and the pre-load adjuster that causes the sag in the stock shocks. I have only put 6K on the "new" shocks, but they are still wonderful. If you are looking to save some money you can go this route for less than half the cost of 1 Wilbur or Ohlin.

John

·
Registered
247 Posts
I installed used stock LT shocks on both of my LTs (01 and 99). Got the rear shocks from Hannigan (they take them off bikes regularly when triking the bike) for about $300 (no miles) and front shocks with about 20K on them from eBay for about $50. Dave Majors did a great writeup on installation, with pictures, which I can send u if u send me your email (havent found out how to attach a Word file to this site) or contact Dave Majors.

Both bikes ride great, in my humble opinion. I am sure a pair of Ohlins would be better, but the cost was too high for me.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The shock isn't leaking but I don't think it's a spring problem. When I am sitting on the bike and knock it off the main stand with the front brake applied, the front end rebounds two or three times before settling, indicating an internal pressure problem. She also gets a little lively at speed into bends on uneven roads.

kellenbenz said:
If your shock isn't leaking try replacing the stock springs with Hyperpro rising rate springs.

http://www.hyperprousa.com/catalog.php?cat=Springs&make=BMW&model=BMW+K+1200+LT+99>&model_name=BMW+K+1200+LT+99>&ordertype=

I have over 60 K using these over used shocks and they are great.

Ron

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey guys, I'm in touch with Chris, intending to ship him my old shock. Before he has to pay the shipping, didn't I read somewhere that someone had figured out how to rebuild these? And I even thought it was a fella in Canada that did it. Memory doesn't serve as well as it used to.
Unless someone here can come up with a better alternative, I'll be sending mine to him for postage only, but I don't want him to waste the money if there's a better route for him to go.
Thanks.
Frank

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I sent an LT rear shock off years ago to Bruno in Canada. He rebuilt it for me but I am not sure he can do a front. It might be worth a phone call.

http://www.brunos.us/

Ron

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
motorhead said:
When I click on your link, I get this error message:

RVB1019, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.​

·
Registered
832 Posts
JATownsend said:
If you were to have a set of Ohlins or Wilbers, or any premium shock installed you would think you were on a NEW BIKE! Yes, REALLY!

After my rear shock failed on a western state epic ride, the dealer installed an Ohlins. The bike felt like new. And, the ride quality was much better than the stock shock.

If your bike is paid for, and you still love it, look into aftermarket shocks. Its a worthwhile investment. And, they are rebuildable.
I know that new shocks are great, I just meant that 10 years is a long time for original shocks.......

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I got a set for my 03 LT used for under $150. They were taken off a bike with just under 250 miles. The bike's owner swapped them for Ohlins. They are like new! Just waiting for the snow to melt outside my shed so that I can bring them to my mechanic to install.

I would have loved Ohlins but I couldn't justify the cost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts