BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I was reading though some of the customization stuff, and, and figured I just might want to swap out my stock shift linkage. Most of the posts I read are a bit dated, and I was wondering if anyone out there was still making, or has for sale, one of the custom linkages? I may not need to change it ('06 LT) but if what I have is aluminum, I'd much prefer something with more strength. Any response welcome - thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
jwquinn said:
Hey everyone! I was reading though some of the customization stuff, and, and figured I just might want to swap out my stock shift linkage. Most of the posts I read are a bit dated, and I was wondering if anyone out there was still making, or has for sale, one of the custom linkages? I may not need to change it ('06 LT) but if what I have is aluminum, I'd much prefer something with more strength. Any response welcome - thanks.

Not sure if the bmwlt forum member is still making them but I finally got around to installing mine and I have a higher confidence level now of not getting stuck on a trip. Try an ebay search.

The actual shifting seems more positive as well. :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
My vote is keeping the stock unit as it is plenty strong, but prone to failure if you don't maintain it. 76K and counting. Dissassemble, clean inspect and lube every 12K. Found a stud ball loose (that is when it breaks) only once.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
my 02 has the updated linkage, no problems.

The problem was due to some of the ball joints not fully seated to the linkage, perhaps 2 threads shy. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I still have the stock linkage on my LT with almost 130,000 miles.
PO had done a great job of maintaining it and I have continued
the tradition.

I've torn it apart twice and the ball studs look like new.
I have one socket that looks slightly stretched, but still locks
onto the ball perfectly fine.

I would suggest to remove, clean and lube at least yearly.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I still have the original linkage w/142,902 miles. I lube it often and is easy to do w/o removing any tupperware. :bmw:

Just saying!
Vern

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for all the feedback. I like to wrench when I can, so I've no trouble maintaining it. But, if I have a chance to replace alum with st steel, I'll do it! Thanks again.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The stock linkage is all steel and as John Z suggests, it's fine if maintained well and the gear change technique is right, i.e. no stomping on the lever and preload the shifter on the change up just prior to blipping off the throttle and snicking the clutch lever, all above 3500 rpm. Practice makes perfect and you'll have no problems. Oh,... yes, the gear lever is cast aluminium, but theres no problem with that either.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
My '99LT still has the original. I find it's a pretty easy item to maintain. I'm sure I haven't had a problem because I bought the upgraded linkage years ago and have it in the sidecase. :D

Have fun,
Jer

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Before I sold my 02, it had about 50K trouble free miles and I only serviced the shifter. I did carry a steel replacement, along with a few other assorted parts, but I never used them.

I tended to go with the train of thought that said that the shifter was a link in the transmission and that if there was a problem, it would be better for it to break there, then at a more expensive part.

I would keep spare parts, keep the original shifter well cleaned and lubed, and then not worry about it.

For the most part, BMW engineers are pretty good, and as you begin to understand their mindset, to me, the bike makes more sense.

·
Registered
476 Posts
vernvernvern said:
I still have the original linkage w/142,902 miles. I lube it often and is easy to do w/o removing any tupperware.
Vern
Are you removing the chrome plate to get at the various points underneath or am I missing something obvious (would not be the first time in my life...!!). Thanks!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
rowie said:
Are you removing the chrome plate to get at the various points underneath or am I missing something obvious (would not be the first time in my life...!!). Thanks!
You can do it that way but I usually have the lower tupperware off anyway and find it is easier to undo the lock pin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts