BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I moved up from a 1984 R100RT to a 2006 LT and everything about the LT is as expected (great) except the rider seat. I have put 10K on it and am very surprised at how uncomfortable it is. I could go much further on my old RT than on the new LT. Is this something others have experienced and how did you correct it. After 2 hours I get a tingling sensation and it requires me to stop for a bit. The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much. :confused:
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
832 Posts
DiverTony said:
About a year ago I moved up from a 1984 R100RT to a 2006 LT and everything about the LT is as expected (great) except the rider seat. I have put 10K on it and am very surprised at how uncomfortable it is. I could go much further on my old RT than on the new LT. Is this something others have experienced and how did you correct it. After 2 hours I get a tingling sensation and it requires me to stop for a bit. The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much. :confused:
Thanks for any suggestions.
It seems that when BMW improved the bike in 2005 the seat got worse. Do a search on this forum for seats, then order an aftermarket seat made for you. Totally worth it. I have a Russell and love it. Others have seats made by Corbin, Mayer etc.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I had the same experience with the seat on my 2007 LT. I ended up having a custom seat made by Rich's in Seattle. Expensive, but my butt thinks it's worth it for every mile. And you know what they say, when the butt is happy, everything is happy (ok, THEY don't say that, but I do.) :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I like my Rick Mayer seat, but you should also check out our boy Ron Miller's product (he's a site sponsor, so he supports this community), Kontour Seats. I have always heard great reviews on his work. :D

If you're new to the site, you might get to know Ron sooner or later. He's pretty quiet, and getting him to come out of his shell and voice his opinion can be a challenge... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Ron recently did my seat. I haven't been able to take a trip yet; just around town.

So far, I can attest to the seat material more firm that a stock seat, more comfortable than stock, and flows more air under my but. That will be a welcome relief when the temps approach and go over 100F.

Plus to boot, it's a pleas to chat with him.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is why I can't buy an new K1600GTL. I have to wait until the aftermarket guys have one available for it. Never had a BMW with a comfortable seat for my butt. Never had that problem with any of the HD's I had in the past. And yes, I did some long mileage on them too.

Ultra LT

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,976 Posts
I had my LT seat re-worked by Allen at Mean City Cycles in Maiden North Carolina 866-550-SEAT or meancitycycles.com. It's as comfortable as I need to ride all day long & get back on the next day for another full day of riding. I wanted to keep the stock vinyl cover & Allen was able to a very nice job for me. I probably have about 7000 miles on it now. He has several different hardness of memory foam and also offers a gel seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My seat is a 'Righ's Custom' made in Seattle. The difference from the stock seat is amazing. After an hour on the stock foam, I felt like I was sitting directly on the frame, I could almost feel the battery terminals. The Rich's seat has very firm foam and a heavy leather cover and although it feels a bit stiff when you first get on the bike, it keeps it's shape and is still comfortable hours later. They reuse the original seat heating system and it stil works great. As others have said, they are expensive but worth every penny. And I love the look of the real leather rather than vinyl.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have an 06 with the Rick Mayer seat in grey leather (rider pillion). I believe you will need to judge the inseam adjustment that an aftermarket seat will create but let me know if you are willing to trade plius $$ as I may be thinking of selling.

Hope this helps...

Mugz

·
Registered
181 Posts
DiverTony said:
The foot pegs have been lowered on the bike and I have added highway pegs but it doesn't help much.
Please don't tell me you added Mick-O-Pegs and they don't help much. We have many customers who, after purchasing Mick-O-Pegs, decide they don't need to replace the seat. When your feet our lower, more of your weight is supported by your thighs and less is on your tail & pelvis bones.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My 09 OEM seat and the pain it caused was so bad I considered getting rid of the bike I couldn't ride it like that others have said they don't have a problem with the OEM seat LOL I'm not one of those I guess.

Bought a Russel for it and couldn't be happier

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I agree the seat stinks. I bought an 09 last year and the seat is terrible. I intend to get a custom seat at some point in the future but until then I am using the airhawk seat cushion. It is a lot less expensive than a custom seat. You might consider this.

David

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Sure ...... you have two LT seat options

1. suffer
2. get a custom seat

These seats are affectionately known as:
BMW's weapon of ass destruction.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
These seats are affectionately known as:
BMW's weapon of ass destruction.
I couldn't decide if that statement was more funny, or true... It's a tie!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I have a 05LT with Rick Mayer Seat, Mick-O-Pegs and Back Up Backrest with 89K miles and enjoying every one. Butts are in all shapes & sizes - getting a bike set up that is comfortable for you may not fit everyone. In my twenties seats were not a factor but today getting comfortable for a long haul is more important..

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've tried a number of fixes over the last couple years. Sheep skin, beads, underwear. Each has helped to some degree but I still didn't get the long distance comfort I was looking for. I'm finally going the custom seat route and I'm leaning toward the Kontour seat. I like the mesh-like covering for hot weather.

Real McCoy

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the BMW Comfort seat and its not too bad but it is separating a tiny bit. It has a heater in it. I bought a used regular BMW seat and am going to get a custom made some time before spring. I've decided to give MR. Ed's Moto a try. He is in Albany Oregon. I cant decide whether to get the Comfort seat done and keep the heater or just do the used one I bought without the heater. I have never used the seat heater, in fact, I do not even know if it works. I'm only getting the Pilots seat done, not the passenger. If at some time my sweetie thinks she will want to start riding, I may get the passenger seat done too.

·
Registered
832 Posts
lkniess said:
I have the BMW Comfort seat and its not too bad but it is separating a tiny bit. It has a heater in it. I bought a used regular BMW seat and am going to get a custom made some time before spring. I've decided to give MR. Ed's Moto a try. He is in Albany Oregon. I cant decide whether to get the Comfort seat done and keep the heater or just do the used one I bought without the heater. I have never used the seat heater, in fact, I do not even know if it works. I'm only getting the Pilots seat done, not the passenger. If at some time my sweetie thinks she will want to start riding, I may get the passenger seat done too.
A seat guy should be able to add heat that will connect to your bike.
I believe that Corbin and Bill Mayer already do this.
Also, be aware that the seat pans are different (narrower) after 2005.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I realize the seat pans changed so I bought an earlier seat and tried it to see that it fits. I just do not know weather it is worth the $$ to keep heat.

Your views

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I ride all year--use the heated seat a lot during our winter morning and evenings; also use it during early Spring and late Fall.

Best from Tucson
Bob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts