BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into replacing my stock windshield and came across the AeroFlow website and found that they are having a firesale on LT winshields for $144. How does it compare say to CeeBaily? Is this really a good deal? As we all know if you end not liking something it's not a deal at any price.

Doug

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
Doug69 said:
I have been looking into replacing my stock windshield and came across the AeroFlow website and found that they are having a firesale on LT winshields for $144. How does it compare say to CeeBaily? Is this really a good deal? As we all know if you end not liking something it's not a deal at any price.

Doug
You may wish to view this video before making your decision. Some folks don't care what they ride behind, but BMW uses poly for their factory shields and I want the same level of protection. However, if this isn't a concern to you then the cheap shields will block bugs and air as well as the expensive polycarbonate shields.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYtjp_RQ9s

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got my see Bailey's 5years ago......the one with the curve in the upper third. Love it....would not have any other. That flair really makes the difference. I had mine cut 5 inches shorter than the stock shield, so that at max height, I'd be able to see over it.

There will be those that will really argue for another make...because of the material it's made from...but...I really love mine.

As for this video......well I don't really care what it shows....i'm sure their testing method was not approved by any government body as to their methods. I could make a video showing just the opposite................

I figure that if they can put cb's material in jet aircraft.....it,s good enough for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Later
Pat

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
We love our Ztechnik VStream.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out F4 Customs too. Not as cheap as what you're looking at but seems to be a very high quality product. I'm very pleased with mine and their customer service was excellent.

http://www.f4customs.com/

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
PATTERSON said:
I got my see Bailey's 5years ago......the one with the curve in the upper third. Love it....would not have any other. That flair really makes the difference. I had mine cut 5 inches shorter than the stock shield, so that at max height, I'd be able to see over it.

There will be those that will really argue for another make...because of the material it's made from...but...I really love mine.

As for this video......well I don't really care what it shows....i'm sure their testing method was not approved by any government body as to their methods. I could make a video showing just the opposite................

I figure that if they can put cb's material in jet aircraft.....it,s good enough for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Later
Pat
Which jet aircraft uses a windshield from Cee Bailey?

·
Registered
130 Posts
For my money the Parabellum is the best. Ive had one on both my LT's and find it to be far superior to the BMW windshield.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I purchased a VStream at the International Rally last year. So far, I love it. Much more protection and the Optics are great. Made from Quantum AND Polycarbonate.

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Somewhere on their web site I'm sure you can find something.......here's a good link though.

http://store.ceebaileys.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=24

Good hunting

Pat
You won't find a jet aircraft windshield at Cee Bailey. No jet would use an acrylic windshield of the type made by CB. A hummingbird would go through an acrylic windshield at the speeds that jets fly. :)

·
Premium Member
7,595 Posts
2000klticon said:
For my money the Parabellum is the best. Ive had one on both my LT's and find it to be far superior to the BMW windshield.
Unfortunately, I believe the Parabellum is made of acrylic. It looks like it is superior from an aerodynamic perspective, but certainly won't be from an impact resistance perspective. Having had my bacon saved a couple of times by a poly shield, I tend to shy away from acrylic shields despite other advantages that many of them possess.

I haven't had to replace my OEM shield yet, but will in a few more years most likely. It is good to see what experiences people here have had with various aftermarket shields as I don't want to ante up the BMW price. However, I will stay with poly and that certainly limits the available options greatly as most makers use the much cheaper acrylic materials.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Poly shields are the only way to go. Your life is worth much more than the meager savings you see by buying the cheaper plastics. You spend hundreds on ATGATT gear and then skimp on windscreens??? :confused:

·
Registered
679 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Interesting research on the Polycarbonate/Acrylic debate, I was checking on San Diego plastics website, it seems they have developed an acrylic material for the Jet aircraft canopies that is thicker in the middle, to reduce damage from impacts, yet is thinner on the sides so a pilot will be able to eject through it. Ever seen the video and story about the EA6 copilot that did a partial ejectiion through the canopy? I actually wonder if he could have done that if the canopy was polycarbonate?..just interesting stuff :)
http://www.gallagher.com/ejection_seat/

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,113 Posts
A partial ejection is a fault in the seat and seat rails not the canopy. If the rocket had fired as it should have he would have gone all the way through that canopy. The reason they use acrylic in jet aircraft is becuase there are no trucks up in the sky throwing rocks and other debris at your wind screen and its optical properties are a bit better than poly carbonate.

I prefer the protection of poly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts