BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! :wave
I took out the OEM radio the other day and was planning to install the Jensen. Fortunately, before I took that plunge and began cutting up my stingray and rendering my wiring harness unuseable, I spoke with Jerry at Bentonville BMW who said there are places that can repair your radio rather than purchasing a new OEM one or going the Jensen route.

I'm just checking to see if any of y'all had any luck with either of these two companies for your radio repair:

Radio Man Repair in San Diego from the older forum posts indicated it was only $138 for the repairs, but no follow-up notes on their success, warranty, or satisfaction.

or

Becker Autosound.com who quoted me $300 for full repair plus the installation of an aux plug in the face of the unit (1 year warranty of unit after repairs).

I, along with many others I'm sure, would appreciate any insights of folks who have had success (or failure) in either of these two options.

Thanks!
Kenny

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used Becker for my radio/CD repair. It wasn't $300.00 though. The cost is $400.00 for the basic repair (mother board I think) and another $50.00 for locating the AUX port to the front of the radio/CD player. The turn around time was about a week and a half. I have only had a week on the repair, but I rode out to LBB and back to Kennedale (10 hours) this week and it performed flawlessly. I have a 2005lt. I started loosing the speakers 1 at a time. Disconnecting the battery for a few hours didn't help. I hope this helps. Its expensive, but you get to keep all the OEM controls. I satisfied.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can add satellite a radio and a bluetooth headset for less then that.

Cheaper, quicker and better sound!

Just sayin... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I offer radio repair too, I'm, located in Florida for riders who prefer to not ship overseas.
I had my Radio repaired by Chris and it works great.
Fast turn around time
Shipping to Canada using the post office which help keep cost down.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I sent mine to Baris in the UK. He upgrades the amps to 40 watts and a aux plug on the front. It sounds great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I offer radio repair too, I'm, located in Florida for riders who prefer to not ship overseas.
Chris - I have a 2001 K bike with the factory cassette. Are you able to add an aux port and bluetooth capabilities to this unit? Radio/cassette/CD work perfectly. Would just like to get it be more user friendly. And ballpark on the pricing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not sure if my issue is the same as others... All of my speakers work.. the only thing that doesn't is lowering the volume. It will go up,.. but not down. The issue is the same from the front or the passenger volume controls. I can mute,.. I can listen to CDs etc but,.. to reset the volume to its initial lower volume,.. I have to turn the bike off then back on.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Baris at carphonics can add aux outputs. Either 3.5 or bluetooth. He can also add RCA outputs. As far as repairs. For the same $$$ as Becker. He uses better amplifiers. But he is in the UK. I got my unit back in about 8/10 days. I got a 3.5 aux Jack I run Sirius xm and mp3 through.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Chris - I have a 2001 K bike with the factory cassette. Are you able to add an aux port and bluetooth capabilities to this unit? Radio/cassette/CD work perfectly. Would just like to get it be more user friendly. And ballpark on the pricing?

Thanks!
I don't think I answered your question before? Did I?:frown:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think I answered your question before? Did I?:frown:
I don't think so. I've been hit-or-miss on here. That and the memory isn't as good as it once was... :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chischenusa did my repair. My rear speakers were not working. So far everything seems great! Get this Chris received my radio on a Saturday and shipped it back to me on Sunday. I had my LT all tore down replacing all of the fluids and brakes. The timing could not have been better. I finished my brake bleeds on Tuesday and received the radio on Wednesday. I think if I had to do it again I would have gone with the 3.5 jack. Probably more frequency response than the bluetooth. Watch the KJ radio removal video on Youtube and you will have no problems removing and reinstalling.

Reactions: chrischenusa

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chrichenusa - Do you have an email address that I could use to communicate about a repair? Just joined and looks like there is a minimum posting rule before I can communicate via PM. Just trying to get my bike fixed. Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts