BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been overseas on a business trip & have come back to see '05 LTs for $10.5 - an ;08 for $15?? :confused: What gives?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
The Economy?

I seem to have lost about $6000 over my two years of ownership.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back when I started looking for a touring bike the LT was @ the top of my list, and after seeing the prices that just sealed the deal.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One would still think that, given the $22K new price tag - not including farkles, we could expect 30% t0 40% over 5 years, rather than 50% in 4 years... this change has happened over this summer.

I guess the economy is worse than I expected....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I was as happy as a clam when I bought mine with only 9,500 miles, and only 4 years old - for $11,000.00. That was almost 3-1/2 years ago, so I'd say that low resale isn't a "new" problem.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
hallzee said:
I was as happy as a clam when I bought mine with only 9,500 miles, and only 4 years old - for $11,000.00. That was almost 3-1/2 years ago, so I'd say that low resale isn't a "new" problem.

Me too I bought a 2 yo with warrenty left and only 1300 miles on it for $11,500. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
As I've mentioned before some of us owe a huge debt of gratitude to those of you who are able to purchase new models. It is this rapid depreciation that makes them affordable to those of us who would otherwise never be able to afford one. We would be riding Hyundais (Hondas) instead of Beemers!

Do these bikes depreciate as rapidly in the rest of the world or is this a US phenomenon?

I also wonder if part of the reason they depreciate so much is because of the rap they get on sites like this for final drive failures etc. Not saying these issues shouldn't be brought up but when I was looking for one I almost changed my mind as it SEEMED at the time that nearly all of these fine bikes suffer from FD failure. You read 4% failure rate but after reading the accounts it feels like 110% failure rate.

I believe others who are considering LT's feel the same way after reading their posts. Fortunately for me one of the members put it in perspective and I went ahead with the purchase. The odds are 25 to 1 that you will be fine and the repair isn't $1500 - $3000. I'll take those odds anyday if it means I get to ride an LT! There are used replacements available (RIP BeerBurner) and the replacement parts are only a couple hundred bucks from BMW.

Not sayin that these issues aren't valid but just wondering if this might have something to do with the resale values.

Thanks again to whoever took the new bike hit for me.

Loren

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
to get those prices the bikes have to be for sale...I think you should thank the short timers who bail on these wonderful machines before the LTs ever reach their prime.

F

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Do these bikes depreciate as rapidly in the rest of the world or is this a US phenomenon?
Lets see if this link works..

Several 2003's at Au$18-19k, a 1999 at Au$16k...

In Oz we buy new at ~ $35k - $42k depending on the accessories.
Our $$ (goes up and down a bit) is at around US$0.82 at the moment....

Bring it over for a holiday, leave it here for 12 months then sell it (if you can still do that).. you might just make some money if our $$ stays up...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most motorcycles don't hold there values that well. Comparing the LT to the Goldwing, the Goldwing has much better resale value, and they have a lower MSRP.

The LT doesn't hold it's value I think for the following reasons -

1) It's still relatively new in the US, and it's not known whether BMW will even come out with a new model, plus it doesn't have the name that a Goldwing has.

2) BMW dealears are few and far between, where Honda dealers are all over the place.

3) BMW doesn't focus as hard on there motorcycles as Honda. Honda started out making motorcycles and never forgot their history.

4) There are quality problems on these bikes that you will never see on the Goldwing. I'm a huge BMW fan and I think they make great motorcycles, but sometimes I think they just don't put the same effort as they do in there cars.

Some examples of #4 -
They still continue to use the diconnects on the fuel line that are known to leak. It's not a big deal to change, but something like a $3 diconnect can disable your bike on a road trip. BMW should have recalled the disconnect and use something of higher quality.

The throttle cables get stiff and break - this went on 1999-2003. 4 years! Throttle cables are not exactly difficult to engineer, how could they have messed it up and let it go on for 4 years? I don't think Honda would have neglected that.

Final drive failures on most of their models? Even 4% is high. I know the older ones are more likely to fail, but you still here of 2008's failing from time to time. It should not take almost a decade to make a better final drive.

I love my LT and would buy another one in a second because they're great bikes, but they require a little more TLC. I'm ok with that, it annoys me, but I'm ok with it! I think that extra TLC is reflected in the resale value.
:bmw:

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
I paid for new as I wanted a keeper of known history. I also for some reason felt an 07 was a good year to buy because it was 2+ years after the 05 changes.

If I was looking now no doubt about used. As said 07 and 08 are going off at 15,000-16,000.

I am in so far financially on this bike I must run it till it dies :D

When I consider what I paid, add in a Spare virgin FD, all Corbin Seats/Backrests, Complete Hyper Pro suspension, J-Pegs, The Cee-Bailey, The Centec fuse block, The BMR shelf, Extra rear brake light, Rear rack brake light modulator, Moto Lights, Lowering peg mounts, Extended brake/shifter, Doran TPI, Bag/Trunk liners, Side stand base extender, Fix It Before It Breaks trunk latch, QD fuel lines, Grip Puppies, and anything else I may have forgotten, NO way can I sell, or for that matter, want to at this point in my life.

I wait with baited breath on a new one, but would not jump in until they were 2 or 3 years into the model anyway. And then only if they addressed some of the issues that seem to keep coming up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
In January I leased a 2008 BMW 750i fully loaded. The window sticker priced the car at 88,000.00. Because the 7 series was re-designed for 2009, the dealer dropped the price to 71,000.00. My lease is for 36 months. The residual value of the car is 44,000.00. So, even with expensive luxury cars, the depreciation in this economy is significant after three years.

In 2008 I bought my 2005 LT with 24K on it after the previous owner had all services done for 12K through the dealer. The bike sold new for over 21K. So, I think the best way to buy an LT is used after someone else takes the depreciation hit. In my neck of the woods here in the Seattle area, there are very few LT's for sale. I think people who own them tend to keep them. It is a tremendous machine!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought my 2005 LT with lots of farkles and 7K on her for $15.5K a little over one year ago. Put about anohter 1500.00 in farkels and service. Not including the sales tax on the purchase I am in it over $17K.

Kelley blue book retail value as of today:
$13,500.00

Kelley blue wholesale value as of today:
$9,670.00

I have seen these things really have very poor resale value. Even a used one lost over 40% of it's trade value (to me) in one year. Using this formula you should be able to pick up a 2002 or older LT for free.

·
Registered
676 Posts
tonygret said:
I bought my 2005 LT with lots of farkles and 7K on her for $15.5K a little over one year ago. Put about anohter 1500.00 in farkels and service. Not including the sales tax on the purchase I am in it over $17K.

Kelley blue book retail value as of today:
$13,500.00

Kelley blue wholesale value as of today:
$9,670.00

I have seen these things really have very poor resale value. Even a used one lost over 40% of it's trade value (to me) in one year. Using this formula you should be able to pick up a 2002 or older LT for free.

I did! $4100 for a 2000 LT with only 17K on it.....I did shy away from BMW because of the lack of dealers, and parts costs, but at this price, I had to JUMP on this bike. What I didn't know about when I bought it was the incredible resource available through this website. I do not feel alone, or hung out to dry if I have some type of issue with my LT, and am already performing the maintenance on it myself because of this support....Oh yea, and because the dealer is 90 miles away, and wants an arm and a leg for his services......I am sorry for everyone that has a large investment in their bikes, but I am very happy that I was able to afford one on the limited budget I had for my motorcycle purchase......actually I'm beyond very happy, I am giddy at every opportunity I have to ride this incredible machine.. Thanks to all who make this site what it is...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts