BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - here my delima - I have a r12c independence and looking to go full touring -
the LT is a full loaded but weights in at 80 kg more and and has only 100 bhp
the gt i am considering is a 04 with the Brick at 135 bhp it's lighter and more nimble - as I just cruise the forum it seems they are worst than my R1200C for repairs/ parts

any LT drivers out there that would like to voice a opinion i am concerned about that 800 lbs with the mama on the back - it 5 time my weight (measly 152 lbs with gear on) - not quite sure if the 100 bhp would satisfy me -

Richard

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hey guys - here my delima - I have a r12c independence and looking to go full touring -
the gt i am considering is a 04 with the Brick at 135 bhp it's lighter and more nimble - as I just cruise the forum it seems they are worst than my R1200C for repairs/ parts

any LT drivers out there that would like to voice a opinion i am concerned about that 800 lbs with the mama on the back - it 5 time my weight (measly 152 lbs with gear on) - not quite sure if the 100 bhp would satisfy me -

Richard
FWIW, they increased the HP in '05

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts

Richard
If performance is your key goal, and I get the impression it is from the HP references you made, then the LT is not your choice. Buy the GT or GTL and enjoy.

If maximum two-up comfort is your goal and you want to effortlessly cruise for hours a day with the best weather protection available, then the LT is your mount.

I wrote a long comparison back in 2013 after I rented a GTL for a 12 day Alpine tour. My wife hated it and I was lukewarm. So, I kept my LT and am just finishing $2500 in repairs (oil soaked clutch) and upgrades (SS brake lines, Nav 5, Wilbers shocks) and plan to keep it another 9 years. I likely will add a custom seat as even with the BeadRider the seat is getting long in the tooth. And after 9 years a windshield is in order. However, even with these added the cost will be under $4,000 most likely which wouldn't even cover two years' depreciation on a new GTL.

It is all about what you want in a bike and how you ride. The GTL is a fantastic machine, but it has a different focus than does the LT.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you know what the difference was - cams ECU - i've scouring the web looking for a 05 with the power stand but nothing within 200 miles of me - I would do the upgrades
thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the hp thing is a issue if i go out on my own - this is for the wife and I to ride 2 up - I have a Ducati for my boy toy - if ur saying that this is a comfy cruiser it might just be the ticket to get her out on the bike more than on the odd occassion. do you find it's tuff for city riding as I do have to ride 40 minutes to get out of the city. How the torque for climbing those mountain passes
thanks for ur input

·
Registered
183 Posts
well the hp thing is a issue if i go out on my own - this is for the wife and I to ride 2 up - I have a Ducati for my boy toy - if ur saying that this is a comfy cruiser it might just be the ticket to get her out on the bike more than on the odd occassion. do you find it's tuff for city riding as I do have to ride 40 minutes to get out of the city. How the torque for climbing those mountain passes
thanks for ur input
She'll definitely like riding on it. My wife loves it and asks to ride versus my road king which she hated riding on. We load the bike pretty heavily and have no problem with takeoff torque or passing power. Remember, this is a touring bike not a speed demon or torque monster, if you keep that in mind you'll be happy. I commute in the city every day and have no problems with the size or handling. Slow speeds take a bit of getting used to but once it's moving it's smooth sailing.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
thanks for ur input
I find my LT easier to ride in the city than the GTL. The GTL is nice with more torque and the wet clutch, but its drivetrain lash made city riding very annoying. The LT doesn't have a lot of torque down low, but you just have to rev it. It will climb mountain passes at 70 MPH in 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th depending on how steep. It will go something like 62 MPH in 1st gear! So, you just shift down until you have the power needed. However, it is nothing like the GTL power-wise. That is just simple mathematics.

Reactions: Tricky_dickey

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
do you know what the difference was - cams ECU - i've scouring the web looking for a 05 with the power stand but nothing within 200 miles of me - I would do the upgrades
thanks
Beginning in 2005, besides a bunch of gadgets/options, a power stand (EHCS) and a more fancy dash, BMW upped the HP by changing these engine items:
(1) higher compression ratio from 10.8 to 11,5 (Pistons have different part no, but cylinder head is the same)
(2) larger throttle-bodies (from 34mm to 36mm)
(3) different camshafts
(4) different Motronic-EFI version to match above items

Other items that may change the perception of power distribution is the change of gear ratios of 4th and 5th gear for 2005-2009 (there is no 6th gear on any K1200LT, but instead a reverse).

HOWEVER, all these technical details means little if you are not comfortable handling the beast at low speed. We have at least one member here from Australia that owns both the bike you have asked for (a 2003-2004 K1200GT and a K1200LT). Hopefully he will chime in to give his opinion.

·
Registered
736 Posts
thanks for ur input
Well, if you already have the Ducati for the thrill, the LT will be great for two up riding enjoyment without terrifying your passenger to death. At 80-85mph, my ride is smooth all day long. I don't know about your rider but mine would be tapping my shoulder at anything 90+mph, even sooner if the speed limit is 40mph.

The Ducati will wave bye-bye to the LT but the LT will pass the Ducati as you sit on the side of the road getting a fast riding award from the local Black and White. I would love a Ducati but am too pretty to go to jail.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if you already have the Ducati for the thrill, the LT will be great for two up riding enjoyment without terrifying your passenger to death. At 80-85mph, my ride is smooth all day long. I don't know about your rider but mine would be tapping my shoulder at anything 90+mph, even sooner if the speed limit is 40mph.

The Ducati will wave bye-bye to the LT but the LT will pass the Ducati as you sit on the side of the road getting a fast riding award from the local Black and White. I would love a Ducati but am too pretty to go to jail.
yeah that pretty much sums it up - she hates the Ducati to cramped and with a hip replacement it get sore real fast - I had to put floor boards on for her so she could move her feet about - I want this for long leisurely rides. If the airflow doesn't beat her up on the rear i can get away with 20-25 over the posted. I going to bet that she prefers the LT of the K that we tried out the other day from the post that I have received.
thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how hard can you rev the LT -??? is she comfortable running in the higher band??? my boxer loves 3000-3500 gets a little rambunctious when i'm running it at 5500 (vibrations through the whole chassis)

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
has anyone on the list upgraded the cams' and throttle and ECU
I do not think this would be cost effective as the new Motronic EFI also assumes the higher compression ratio pistons to be in place. Finding a good 2005-2009 used K1200lT is much cheaper, simpler and less of being a "guinea-pig" with unknowns modifications.

Another option is to take your time, shop around for owners who will let you try a 1999-2004 models. This will let you make up your mind about your "lack of power" concern for 1st generation. Although I have 130HP in my K1200RS, there are some very good riders here who own 1st gen K1200LT (100 HP) that I would have a hard time to keep up with. It has been said and proven many times by experienced racers, the rider is more important than the bike or the HP... unless you want to do ONLY drag races ;-)

how hard can you rev the LT -??? is she comfortable running in the higher band??? my boxer loves 3000-3500 gets a little rambunctious when i'm running it at 5500 (vibrations through the whole chassis)
You will be VERY SURPRISED how much pulling power you get out of this 880 lbs beast when you rev it up in 5000-8000 rpm range. This engine is smooth at almost all RPM as it is rubber-mounted in a very rigid backbone supporting frame. You CANNOT compare this with any of the Boxer models (R1100 or R1150 or R1200).

In reality, for everyday leasury use, this engine will do well by shifting at 4000 to 5000 RPM and cruising at 3500 to 4500 RPM, You can shift up at lower RPM, but if you need to get going there is little point in shifting below 4000 RPM - this is a 4 cylinders not a large V-Twin. When you are in a hurry or want some excitement, the engine will LOVE higher RPM.

Reactions: mcracer and Voyager

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've owned an 02LT, 06LT and currently have an 07 K1200GT.
The gt hurts my knees, other than that is reasonably comfortable. But it's no LT, which is arguably the most comfortable 2 up motorcycle ever.
The gt is more fun, my wife wants the LT back. We sat on a 09 with the soft touch seats a couple weeks ago and just sat there and talked. It was so comfortable we didn't want to get off of it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Yes I spent an entire day (riding seminar) in the N Georgia mountains and never got out of 2nd gear and stayed above 50 MPH. Of course gas mileage went down hill but what a blast, felt like had a different bike. Very smooth too no nasty vibes all the way up to the rev limiter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Well thanks for all your input- went out and tries a GT it was okay -tuff at low speed to handle but over 5 mph started to ease up- wife hated the seat and and the pegs, even with a backrest she was not feeling secure (had a custom sitted seat done at Corbin - so it fits her to a TEE) first thing was we will have to go to Hollister with the bike and fit me b4 i go anywhere on that one. that will cost a couple of K for the trip and shopping. Tried the LT and she was very impressed with it overall. I was surprised how easy it was to handle at low speed. During the test ride i went off to a empty lot and did some figure 8's and hard stops, acceleration and tight tight turns and flop overs. Was very very impressed with the ease of control and not noticing the weight of this mammoth beast. Didn't really open her up or go on the highway as it started to rain hard. too bad the front ires was crap and the front brake was leaking , rear tire was worn flat. So i am going to the LT - have found a 06=07 one owner with 60 k miles - so I'm hoping to get the greater power and the power stand and the later options. only bitch is it's 400 miles away- keep u all posted

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Well thanks for all your input- went out and tries a GT it was okay -tuff at low speed to handle but over 5 mph started to ease up- wife hated the seat and and the pegs, even with a backrest she was not feeling secure (had a custom sitted seat done at Corbin - so it fits her to a TEE) first thing was we will have to go to Hollister with the bike and fit me b4 i go anywhere on that one. that will cost a couple of K for the trip and shopping. Tried the LT and she was very impressed with it overall. I was surprised how easy it was to handle at low speed. During the test ride i went off to a empty lot and did some figure 8's and hard stops, acceleration and tight tight turns and flop overs. Was very very impressed with the ease of control and not noticing the weight of this mammoth beast. Didn't really open her up or go on the highway as it started to rain hard. too bad the front ires was crap and the front brake was leaking , rear tire was worn flat. So i am going to the LT - have found a 06=07 one owner with 60 k miles - so I'm hoping to get the greater power and the power stand and the later options. only bitch is it's 400 miles away- keep u all posted
Well, if you wanted to fly down to the LA area and ride back up Highway 1, you could buy my fully loaded '07 LT:

One of the best LT’s available, immaculate & very well maintained, 45,900 miles, all standard features, including Electronic center stand (EHCS);cruise control; electronic windshield; adjustable rear shock; dual front disc brakes; servo-controlled integral ABS brakes; central locking; 3 12V powerlet plugs; reverse gear; radio & single CD player (note – does not work); stingray storage compartment with stock flashlight; heated seats and handgrips; and left & right fins for regulating slipstream pressure against the rider.

Optional equipment/farkles (over $6,000 invested):

• Russell Day Long seat with leather uppers, vinyl sides, rider & pillion backrests, matching pillion seat recovered by RDL, & rain cover;
• Yacugar F/R shocks (from Ted’s Beemer Shop);
• Garmin 590LM GPS (mounted in place of stock BMW Nav III system (with F/R tire pressure sensors;
• Spiegler stainless steel brake lines;
• PIAA driving lights controlled by AS-7 Autoswitch (linked to turn signal canceling switch);
• Jiffy Tite quick disconnects on gas tank fuel lines;
• BMR luggage rack (DOES NOT INCLUDE rheostat control for Veskimo cooling vest equipment shown on picture);
• Fix-It-Before-It-Breaks top case latch kit;
• BMW RT left and right handlebar-mounted rearview mirrors;
• Rider-West brake light (flashes top case brake lights);
• Complete set of Kathy’s Journey luggage (both panniers, top case, and top case rack);
• Centech AP-2 fuse block;
• V-stream polycarbonate windshield;
• Speedbleeder valves on F/R brake calipers & clutch bleed line;
• Odessey PC680 battery;
• Clymer Shop Manual; and
• Two mounts for GoPro camera on front of fairing & left tip over wing and stingray mount for GoPro remote control (DOES NOT INCLUDE GoPro camera and remote).

The engine, transmission, & final drive fluids were changed, gas tank fuel lines, gas & air filters, spark plugs, and one valve bucket were replaced at 42,500 miles. Brake lines, pads, & fluid (including clutch fluid) were changed at approximately 40,700 miles. Front tire (Metzler) has less than 200 miles on it, while rear Bridgestone has 6,875 miles on it, and a spare rear is also included with 5/32nds tread remaining.

$8,000 OBO (I bought a '16GTLE and although I love my LT, it's taking up my garage space for the new bike...).

:bmw:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hiya. As Sailor mentioned I own both of them... both 2004 build, but called 2005 model.
The LT (with about 120,000km on it) is now almost purely for touring trips with the wife. It's super comfy for long distance (wife won't get on the back of anything else), pulls a trailer with ease, and really its only drawback ever has been the really low speed handling (under 5mph/10kph) and the risk of burning clutches if trying to start off like a "normal" bike. But you learn to work with that. In all other aspects its the best "touring" bike I've ever ridden.... I've had mine for about 11 years now, never to be sold!
I bought a GT 2 years ago to rest the LT's legs from the daily commute in traffic, and also since I do my own servicing now its basically the same stuff on both bikes... less to learn! The GT is lighter (although still a heavy bike) and a little narrower for lane-splitting, very quick off the mark and certainly rides more like a sports-bike than the LT can. I wouldn't look forward to the prospect of riding the distances I've done on the LT with the GT.
My wife did one short ride on the back of the GT, and said never again... she was already spoiled by the LT ;)
:wave

1 - 20 of 39 Posts