BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing a SWIVELWHEEL-78 SYSTEM trailer from FAST MASTER PRODUCTS, INC to haul my LT on behind my travel trailer. It is a one wheel trailer and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this company or style of trailer. My concern is the weight of the LT on one wheel/tire. They also make a two swivel wheel model which may be necessary to carry the weight. I chose this style of trailer as it is the only type that can go behind a conventional travel trailer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have no experience with it, but it looks scary...

Harbor freight trailer might be better at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
I don't see any infomation on their web site that says what weight that thing would carry. I don't think it is something I'd want to try.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
My first impression is why? Why not a standard utility trailer? Guess I don't get it. But given that it is load rated for 1,000 lbs it should work just fine. It would just bother me to have a swinging platform behind a rather long vehicle as apposed to an articulated tow trailer. I guess your major issue would be in backing the system as that would be harder with a conventional trailer. This would be easy to back up with.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
(My post from the other thread)

I'm assuming you're talking about this trailer (see pic below). What bothers me about that design is that you're putting ALL of your faith into ONE tire, ONE wheel, and ONE wheel bearing. Yikes! Don't mean to scare you, but I think it's something to consider, heavily.

Maybe if I could ride a unicycle, I wouldn't be so concerned. ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's rated for 1,000#, usually you want a trailer to be rated to close to double to allow for bumps & dips in the road. Looks cool though!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I saw a trailer with a fixed hitch and TWO swivel wheels that allowed you to back up easily. Just can't remember where. But this might be the one to consider.

EDIT: I had no idea I was responding to a four year old thread!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I love it when a thread is resurrected from 4 and 1/2 years ago! :histerica

I wonder what the record is? I think we switched over from the old site to this one around 2005 or so? :D Pretty sure the oldest one I've seen so far has been 7 years. ;)

Here's an interesting double swivel wheel homebuilt - VERY stout. The only thing I have a little problem with is the trailer's "tongue" - I would want to make sure that was built from a solid bar piece of stock instead of tubular, but this bad boy looks like it could take a lot of punishment. I love the low boy build, but still can't figure out the advantage of a swivel wheel versus a regular articulated trailer - except of course they are easier to back up. :think: You're definitely going to suffer from poorer fuel mileage with the broadside approach versus in the slip stream... not to mention tossing gravel from the rear wheels at high speed right onto the bike's fenders. Ouch.

http://www.billieg2.com/Swivel/index.html

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
First thing that popped into my mind is that your towing 2 trailers, which may not be legal in all states. It's not in Oregon (without permits and proper equipment). Something to consider or at least check into.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
RonKMiller said:

Ron, perhaps this is a sign that folks here are getting bored. How's about you say something really controversial and get things started? :p

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
fpmlt said:
RonKMiller said:

Ron, perhaps this is a sign that folks here are getting bored. How's about you say something really controversial and get things started? :p
Well let's see: politics and religion are always good hopping off points - but I think they've been banned from the site just like towing triple in MANY states:

(how's that for a segue for getting back on topic?) :D

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
I'll bet these old threads pop up in the "Similar Threads" section below. I go to them occasionally and always enjoy learning something new/old...

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Well let's see: politics and religion are always good hopping off points - but I think they've been banned from the site just like towing triple in MANY states:

(how's that for a segue for getting back on topic?) :D
You done good... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hackercraft792 said:
I am looking at purchasing a SWIVELWHEEL-78 SYSTEM trailer from FAST MASTER PRODUCTS, INC to haul my LT on behind my travel trailer. It is a one wheel trailer and I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this company or style of trailer. My concern is the weight of the LT on one wheel/tire. They also make a two swivel wheel model which may be necessary to carry the weight. I chose this style of trailer as it is the only type that can go behind a conventional travel trailer.
Greetings.
You might take a look at this trailer. I have been researching as you have and it has caught my interest. I too will be towing triple.
http://theusatrailerstore.com/products/motorcycle-trailers.html
Best regards,
Bill Decker AKA rktman

ps - tried to log on just now and the site is down for maintenance. Go figure.

·
Registered
989 Posts
fpmlt said:
How's about you say something really controversial and get things started? :p
Simple, just state that THE TRAILER should use {insert your favorite here} brand oil. And, what about the tires? :rotf:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts