BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being an engineer, I have to analyze how well things are made and one item is oil filters. I have cut open several in the past and can be seen at Bobistheoilguy http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000723#000000 and http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000890.

Since I have a new LT on order I got a LT filter from the dealer ($22 Can - wow. these are not inexpensive!!) and dissected it today. Hopefully I can attach some photos in the following posts.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The end cap has 6 inlet holes at 0.250" diameter for a total flow area of 0.29 sq in.

The can thickness is 0.017", which is relatively thick compared to most filers.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nitrile rubber sealing ring crimped in cover. Not as well secured as some filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Top view of filter cartridge in can

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spring in bottom of filter that compresses filter cartridge against the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cartridge has metal-to-metal seal against the cover. Normally a rubber anti drainback valve is installed here and the cartridge would seal against the rubber, however this filter does not have one.
The metal-to-metal seal is thus not as effective and may allow some minor bypass flow if the alignment is not perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Filter cartridge is 2.2” long and 2.8” in overall diameter.

There are a total of 71 pleats, which is a large number and thus a large filter area for a filter of this size.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rubber bypass valve in bottom of cartridge

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View in the top of the cartridge showing part of the black plastic bypass filter assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Inner support tube. Large number of holes for good oil flow.

The filter media is well bonded (glued) to the metal end caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fine mesh filter to provide some oil filtering when bypass valve opens. Very few oil filters have this feature and it is very beneficial because it does provide some oil filtration when the bypass valve opens (eg on startups with cold oil)

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Filter cartridge cross section

Each pleat is 0.5” deep

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Top of inner screen is well supported by glue. This prevents screen collapse under high delta P conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bypass valve assembly after mesh filter removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bypass valve is a rubber sealing disk 0.120” thick. The rubber provides a very good positive seal.

Spring compressed height is 0.7” and has a relatively large force of 12 lbs at that height.

Diameter of bypass hole is 0.587” (0.27 sq in)

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Close-up of media. It is 0.015” thick. It appears to be cellulose as opposed to better media that is composed of deep synthetic type material.

Total media surface area is 82” long by 1.65” wide = 153 sq in which is a very large filtering area.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So what do I think overall compared to other filters I've cut open??

It appears to be a very high quality filter and the overall construction is probably comparable to some of the best filters in the industry. The only question is the filter media.If it is a cellulose media, then it will likely let larger micron sized particles through compared to a deep sythnetic media.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LT Oil Filter

One would think that a high performance motorcycle would have zero oil filter question marks, particularly the sealing of the element to the can, and the plastic pressure relief valve. Also, the torque spec and the 'suggestion' (about 1/2 turn) is an isssue. Which is it BMW?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
internal rust?

Say, RealWing... is that rust on the internal components? isn't that on the "clean" side of the filtration? Bummer.

I wonder how this would compare to "other" manufacturers?

I think this is one for the "Hall of Wisdom"... I can't find this detail there.. or I just missed it!

Thanks for the effort!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Sorry to take this thread off on a slight tangent, but killing time 'till Santa appears.

It maybe a great filter, but your comment about the bypass valve raises a couple of questions: what pressure does the valve open? and under what conditions does this occur? In the cold, how cold? High RPM's, how high? Viscosity a factor? Don't have my manual handy, but doesn't it call out a special interval if the bike is operated below 32f?

Maybe we should be changing the oil every 3K (you all can fill in twice as often as you do) if it's bypassing the filter for any lenght of time.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all good oil changes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts