BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 LT new to me and I find that at speeds over 100Km's per hour (60 miles per hour for you yank's) when the bike leans to the right or left I get what sounds like a loud wind noise (roar).. has anyone else experienced this problem or can shed light on how to correct the problem or what the hell it is....

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
My first guess, taking simpest things first, would be tire howl. Check the air pressure and wear pattern if this is something that has just started happening out of the blue.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
turn the music up Peter... or go faster until it stops :rotf:

:) not good enough?
Chuckle might be right about tyres, what brand is on them, how much wear, and any serious cupping?
More info helps to help.
cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion.. the noise increases with increased lean and increased speed.. the tyres are Metzlers and seem to have warn evenly... I have only had the Bike for a week but have put 2000k on it in this time and the noise has been with me from the start... I have changed screen setting in corners to no avail...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tyres are Metzler Marathon's and have no cupping... as the side tread of the tyres would have less wear then the centres and the Bike is quite while upright wouldn't this eliminate the tyres as a source of the sound... I run 37/46 in the tyres... the sound is the same one up or two up loaded...

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
I have about 7000 on a set of Metzlers and when I lean they change pitch and I hear them. Even though they look fine and are not cupped, and ride true and strait, they do change pitch in a lean.

Only thing I can think of that I have experienced, that seems in line with the more experienced peoples opinions here.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
many of us run 42/48, its a bit harder ride but the Metz's seem to handle better.
Dunno about the noise, I've always got the radio piped to my ears, so don't tend to notice odd noises :rolleyes:
Presume you've adjusted the windscreen to get the best "air bubble" protection/noise ratio? I tend to find at speed I need to have it down a little to reduce the noise, even though that might not give the most comfortable air flow. Although that would be weird if its only while leaning.....
not much help, I know...!

·
Registered
415 Posts
yep, its your tires...I had the same event on my way home from picking up my bike last year and still have the same noise, you'll get used to it. Never had this on any previous bikes, I put it down to all the weight.

Ron

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just had a new Metzeler put on the front and with less than 500kms it "growls" in turns as well. I thought when the front tire started to "growl" it was time to change it. It must be inherent to the tire.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
pkbrial said:
The tyres are Metzler Marathon's and have no cupping... as the side tread of the tyres would have less wear then the centres and the Bike is quite while upright wouldn't this eliminate the tyres as a source of the sound... I run 37/46 in the tyres... the sound is the same one up or two up loaded...
Typical Metz howling noise. Nothing dangerous, just annoying at times so as recommended just turn up the volume and ride.;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure what tires on my bike are, but anyway my bike is brand new and the first day that I took the bike out I experienced the howling when I lean left or right of center. The noise has not subsided after having now put just over 400 miles on the new girl. Another thing that I've noticed is when applying the brakes I seem to pick up the road surface a lot more, and this happens either on cement or asphalt.

Regards,

Quadrunner

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just by way of comparison, my BT020's make much more noise than my Metzeler's ever did. I run the air the same in the BT020's as I did the Metz, 42/48.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got Metz's as well and have the same growl when I lean side to side. I just keep it upright and tune it out. At first I thought "rear drive" but it's been 6000 miles. So, ignore it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Uh huh, the dreaded Metzeler "howl".....mine did this too ....as mentioned above , this is typical.

On tires for these bikes , higher pressures seem to help alleviate the cupping and squaring issues. Try front 42-3psi and rear 48psi. Also , there are not too many tire choices - Bridgestone , Metzeler, Avon, I beleive.

I had Metz's and went to Avon's and for the most part like them. They tend to wobble slightly at low speeds while decelerating with your hands OFF the bars. They do have very good traction and were very reasonably priced.

Good Luck :bmw:

·
Registered
163 Posts
chuckle said:
My first guess, taking simpest things first, would be tire howl. Check the air pressure and wear pattern if this is something that has just started happening out of the blue.
Front or rear or both tire(s) is(are) worn.

·
Registered
280 Posts
pkbrial said:
I have a 2003 LT new to me and I find that at speeds over 100Km's per hour (60 miles per hour for you yank's) when the bike leans to the right or left I get what sounds like a loud wind noise (roar).. has anyone else experienced this problem or can shed light on how to correct the problem or what the hell it is....
I don't know if I would call it tire noise. I had this same noise on my 03 LTC only in a left or right turn. I had it with the OEM tires and I have it with the Avons as well.
What it sounds like is the wind coming through the front fender while in a turn. Maybe just the design of the rake of the bike and fender of this year bike.
I only here it when the music is off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
pkbrial said:
I had the same noise with my bike. It seem the the characteristics of Metz tires. It is probably tire noise. Increase the air pressure. Should help and lesson the chances of cupping.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have Metzlers on my bike too. No idea the total miles on them as I bought the bike used, but the wear looks normal.

I've noticed the same thing, and--having noticed it--can even hear it if I am just making the slight lean necessary to change lanes at speed.

I don't worry about it, chalking it up to normal for the tires. Hope you find all the similar comments here reassuring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts