BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new tires mounted by a non BMW dealer who stated they would be computer balanced as part of the deal. Of course I'm not allowed to see their work in action but I'm surprised when he finished the job stating that my wheels did not need rebalancing. He said Metzlers are usually built that way, so both the front and rear were good to go.

I may understand on the odd occasion one may get lucky but have never heard that new tires do not need balancing. Of course its still winter up here and it will be a while before I can test them on the bike. Am I being led down the garden path or is this what others believe to be true?

Mugz

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Mugz,

I have found in most cases that a slight balance adjustment was in order after a tire change. However it is very possible that if the original weights were not disturbed and the red dots on the new tire were placed where the red dots on the old tire were positioned, it could balance out just fine.

A lot of guys balance the wheel without the tire first.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I mount balance my own tires... and always balance my tires/wheels.
There IS the rare occasion where you need no weight at all...

but if your saying they didn't even attempt to balance them ?
that would not sit too well with me.

they probably didnt balance it because it wouldnt fit on their balancing machine...
I had to make an adapter for the bmw wheel for my (static) wheel balancer.

single side sewing arm ..... different than traditional wheel...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bill,

I agree, I would first balance the wheel to see where the red dot should be positioned rather than assuming it is at the valve stem, which is where he positioned them. I could't break the bead on the front wheel, and wasn't able to get the rubber off of the rear wheel without fretting about scratching the rim up all to heck. So I gave up thinking I could do a proper job myself and found this dealer who I thought was kind enough to do it as some dealers want you to buy the tires from them before they touch it (a.k.a. the one HD dealer that was closer).

I have a balancer that a friend is borrowing and will check to see how they measure up before bolting everything up but lets just say I'm a bit skeptical...

Thanks for your response.

Mugz

·
Registered
255 Posts
a BMW should ha ve the ability to balance their brand of motorcycle. i have in the past experienced a tire not needing balanced, not all the time though

·
Registered
634 Posts
edmann said:
a BMW should ha ve the ability to balance their brand of motorcycle. i have in the past experienced a tire not needing balanced, not all the time though
He went to a non BMW dealer

thats why I suggested that possibility..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johnT said:

they probably didnt balance it because it wouldnt fit on their balancing machine...

I'll be dammed to figure out how to break the bead on the front tire and getting the rubber off the rims without butchering them. Have done it on the GS but it had chrome wheels where the LT wheel is very sensitive to touch.

I think you have something there regarding the balancing machine not meant for these wheels. As I was waiting in the lobby, I heard the mechanic call the owner to the shop and my wheels were the only job on the floor... you would think they would want to protect their reputation... why not just admit they could not balance them?

·
Registered
155 Posts
johnT said:

I agree. None of the adapters that came with our balancing machine would fit the BMW rear wheel; had to have one made.

Occasionally, you will find a tire that balances like the one you take off. Finding a pair that neither needed balanced, I would say, is quite rare.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Mugszy said:
I could't break the bead on the front wheel, and wasn't able to get the rubber off of the rear wheel without fretting about scratching the rim up all to heck.

Mugz
Good luck with that. BMW dealer who last changed my rear bugger it badly. Called the service manager about it when the wife brought the wheel to me and he swore it was like that when it was brought in.

Ain't spending any more of my money there.

By the way.....they charged me $368.00 for a new Metzler. Wife took the wheel to them, wheel only, and I didn't see the bill till a month later. So, on top of them buggering my rim, they buggered me on the price. Again, ain't spending any money there for anything again, ever..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mugszy said:
I'll be dammed to figure out how to break the bead on the front tire and getting the rubber off the rims without butchering them. Have done it on the GS but it had chrome wheels where the LT wheel is very sensitive to touch.

I?
mugs,
I use the Harbor freight tire changer... it has a built in bead breaker.
I also use a mount/demount bar made by no-mar
the bar has hard plastic tips to prevent scratching.
works very well. haven't scratched a rim yet.

i've changed all kinds of tire/rims... from goldwings to busa's.

this garage has a motto... will change tires for beer. :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've had Metzler tires that needed a considerable amount of counter balance. Just like any other tire there is going to be variations.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Somewhere in this site is how to make a fixture to balance your front tire using your front axel.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have had it both ways. Last front tire change needed only a small weight. Last rear tire change didn't need any. I thinks it's just a matter of luck. But I would always check to make sure.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Only rarely will a tire not need ANY balancing weight, sometimes a lot will be needed. It has absolutely nothing to do with tire brand. No manufacturer has figured out how to make a perfectly balanced tire every time.

When I had my LT, i marked the heavy spot on each wheel without tire to make initial installation closest with the red dot aligned with the wheel's heavy spot. instead of the valve stem. However, many tires I bought had not dots on them, so it would be trial and error to position the tire if the initial installation showed a larger than normal amount of weight needed. If one did come out really heavy, I would reposition the tire so the heaviest side was opposite my wheel mark, usually that would get it into reasonable range.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
Out of six sets of Metzelers, I have had two that were spot on but then I have a smart tire that adds weight to the rim. Most times I had only had to add 1/4 to 1/2 oz. I have also found it beneficial to re-balance the wheel halfway through the tire life. Eliminated a front end wobble by doing that.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You can get the BMW wheel adaptor at Harbor Freight for $29.00
Their balancer is actually pretty nice....For half the price of the competitors..
I think it was 40 or 45 dollars for the balancer...

Just got my HF Tire machine mounted to the shop floor..
No it's not as fancy as some others but it worked just fine...
Did my first set of tires on the R100GS... TKC 80's .

If I was worried about it, I think I'd go down to HF and invest 80 bucks in a rig then you could check your own balance...There's 20% off coupons floating around now too.

I got 52 sticks of tire weights on Ebay for $32.00..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all that have replied!

I agree with the majority that the dealer was not able to balance the wheels but I will check them out before mounting them on the bike. I'm just surprised that the owner of the dealership would not be honest enough to admit it.

I will check into the HF Tire Machine.

Regards...

Mugz

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I get my Metzlers from motorcycle superstore and have them installed by the local multi Japanese MC dealer. The last rear Metz took 2 1/2 ozs to balance, the last front took none.
Mount and balance less than $30.00 and they are open on Mondays year round. I try to shop there when reasonable just because they keep Monday hours.

Go Pro Caliber Sports!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
direct from the Metzler website

WHEEL BALANCING
Always balance each tire and wheel assembly upon installation. Unbalanced tire/wheel
assemblies can vibrate at various speeds, resulting in accelerated tire wear. Metzeler
does not recommend the use of liquid balancer or liquid balance/sealers. Manufacturing
tolerances and normal use a motorcycle tire and wheel assembly can never be guaranteed tolerances and normal use a motorcycle.

Oh and

RUN-IN
After fitting, the tire should not be used under maximum power or extensive cornering
and not over 60 MPH (100 KMH) for the first 200 miles to adjust the tire/rim assembly.
After run in period, speeds may be increased progressively (within legal speed limits
and safe operating conditions).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mugszy said:
Got my new tires mounted by a non BMW dealer who stated they would be computer balanced as part of the deal. Of course I'm not allowed to see their work in action but I'm surprised when he finished the job stating that my wheels did not need rebalancing. He said Metzlers are usually built that way, so both the front and rear were good to go.

I may understand on the odd occasion one may get lucky but have never heard that new tires do not need balancing. Of course its still winter up here and it will be a while before I can test them on the bike. Am I being led down the garden path or is this what others believe to be true?

Mugz
This sounds very suspicious.
Some time ago I got my set of tires shipped from Motorcycle Superstore and went to a local Honda dealer to put them on because BMW dealer was so backed up and I didn't want to wait.
Honda guys mounted and balanced the front tire and then told me that they can mount the rear, however they will not be able to balance it because it required a special adaptor.
At least they were honest.

BJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts