BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ole Toad has a leak at the rear brake master cylinder. Nearly emptied the reservoir. With help from my good friend, we removed the mc, honed out the cylinder lightly, and preparing to assemble and reinstall. Question to anyone with mc experience - the reservoir hose, ending at the mc body. Is that a press fit? How to remove and reinstall? Does an O-ring live in there? A circlip live in there? Should/can the fitting be easily replaced? TIA.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
Don't know Dick, I tried pulling it on the last bike I did replacement lines on and quit. Afraid I was going to break something, it did rotate but the MC comes with it installed new. I do believe the hose will come off the fitting if you soften it with a heat gun (or hair dryer).

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know Dick, I tried pulling it on the last bike I did replacement lines on and quit. Afraid I was going to break something, it did rotate but the MC comes with it installed new. I do believe the hose will come off the fitting if you soften it with a heat gun (or hair dryer).
Thanx much, John. Same here re: Murphy's Break-it Law! We got the hose off by destroying the non-reusable clamp. Going back on with FI smoothies, if fitting removal/install goes as I want! I'll letcha know if task proves worthy. Best, John - and thanx again.

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi Dick, did it start leaking all of a sudden or slowly get bad ? I have had a leak in the rear brake some were for 2 years, I can't find the leak...

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dick, did it start leaking all of a sudden or slowly get bad ? I have had a leak in the rear brake some were for 2 years, I can't find the leak...
Hi, Patric. Not sure when it started. Some of the lower fairing painted parts showed bubbling from brake fluid attack, so prolly been slow leakage for awhile. Reservoir was nearly empty, but puddle on the floor, when first noticed, wasn't big enough to indicate all the loss of the reservoir content.
Good luck on bird dogging your bike's leak. Hope it's not attacking any painted parts!
Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts